Donato Russo (born 1886) Foggia, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tiffanyrosenfeld

Donato Russo (born 1886) Foggia, Italy

Post by tiffanyrosenfeld »

I am searching for my great-grandfather, DONATO RUSSO's birth and death certificate(s).

Born in 1886 (+/- two years) in Foggia, Italy (or surrounding area), Donato jumped ship and came into the US illegally (year unknown). In 1908, Donato eloped with Anna Benanti (Palermo, Sicily 1888) in New York City; they had four children, my grandfather, Michael, and then Carmela followed by Mary Anne and finally Wilhelm.

According to the marriage certificate, Donato’s father was Michele Russo and his mother was Marie Pappano Russo.

Donato returned to Italy just before WWI broke and consequently was drafted and killed in action during WWI while fighting for the Italian Army (year unknown).

I have been unsuccessful at every attempt to find his records; please help.
--tiffany
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You can get his miliatry record from Foggia. Mercifully this is the only record that is not lodged in the town of origin. Write to Director: Ms. Maria Caroilina Nardella, Piazza XX Settembre No. 3, Postale 71100, Foggia, Puglia, Italy. Ask for his Foglio di Leva or his discharge papers Foglio di Concedo illimitato. The entire record of his parents names,vocation, education etc.

Write in Italian and if not then let me know for an excellent translation site. Peter
tiffanyrosenfeld

Thanks Peter; i am going to take you up on your offer as i do not speak a work of Italian.
Best,
--tiffany
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

tiffanyrosenfeld

Great; what if I am unsure if he was born in Foggia? We both know Foggia, is also a province with 64 different communes; the commune of Foggia is one of them. Furthermore, since he was killed in action discharge papers would not exist; is this still the address to which I should write and do you have a template of such letters?
--tiffany
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

logically if the PROVINCIAL military records are made available to you they will contain the town or village he came from and when you go to the town via www.paginebianche.it you can write to any relatives by using the website I gave you which converts your english into italian or write in very simple english sentences since english is the second language in Italy and taught in grammar schools. Peter
tiffanyrosenfeld

Relatives? We don’t know of any.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There may very well be some. When you find the town of origin and put in your surname at www.paginebianche.it they may spring forth!!!!!!!!!Peter