Filoso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Filoso

Filoso

Post by Filoso »

My great grandfather Alberto Filoso (born August 26, 1900) immigrated in 1920 through Ellis Island. He is listed as living in Ischia, with his mother (Angela Moffetone) listed as nearest living relative - still in Ischia. It is possible his father's name was Ralph/Ralphael Filoso, but I have no proof of this, just vague recollections from older relatives. I've done research on the family name and by and large the Filosos that I have found have been from Pretoro, miles and miles from Ischia.

I'm looking for the link between the Filosos living in Ischia with the ancestral home in Pretoro, or any info at all on Alberto and his direct family. It's been a long walk in the dark so far, and any connections would be welcome.

Thank you all!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Filoso

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 6 persons surnamed Filoso currently residing in Pretoro 66010, (CH), Abruzzo. www.paginebianche.it. =Peter=
Filoso

Post by Filoso »

The problem isn't the Filosos in Pretoro, I've got quite a few contacts on that side, it's finding out how my great grandfather fits in with the rest of the family tree. As I mentioned, beyond Alberto, the cold all but goes cold.

Thank you for looking, though.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Filoso,

There are two films you can order from LDS that cover a big span. You may want to order to look for your Filoso relatives.

Ischia - Italy 1741 through 1923
Church records - births, deaths, marriages
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... lesiastici++

Ischia - Austria
Church records - births, deaths, marriages
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... lesiastici++

Here is the link to find your nearest Family History Center (FHC) so you can order the films and view. Takes about 4 weeks to receive the films
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Hope this might help.

Regards,
Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Pretoro, province: Chieti - region: Abruzzo
Ischia di Castro, province: Viterbo - region: Lazio

http://www.italiantourism.com/regions.html

I've searched a bit more and found there is Ischia di Castro (as above). The regions of Abruzzo and Lazio (Latium) border each other. Maybe this is the Ischia they were referring to?

Let me know what you think.
Filoso

Post by Filoso »

I'll definitely give this a try. Looks like there's a center nearby open tomorrow, I'll try to order it then.

Thanks for the lead!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Filoso

The film links I gave you are for northern Italy, Pretoro is in central Italy. That's why I posted again with a link to a map so you could take a look.

It could be the Ischia your family spoke of is Ischia di Castro, province: Viterbo - region: Lazio which is also in central Italy like Pretoro.

I checked and there are no films for Ischia di Castro, province: Viterbo - region: Lazio.

Wanted to let you know before you make a decision on the films.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Filoso

Post by Filoso »

Hmm...another snag. I have no idea which Ischia it actually is. I assumed the island of Ischia because it is just minutes across the water from the port of Naples. No help at Ellis Island to narrow it down either.

Add another question mark to the file...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Filoso check to see if Alberto has a military record in Chieti, provincial capital for Pretoro since his foglio di leva may contain reference to where he was stationed if he did come from Pretoro. send e-mail cedoc_chieti@esercito.difesa.it and ask. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Filoso check to see if Alberto has a military record in Chieti, provincial capital for Pretoro since his foglio di leva may contain reference to where he was stationed if he did come from Pretoro. send e-mail cedoc_chieti@esercito.difesa.it and ask. =Peter=
Filoso

Post by Filoso »

Another good idea, although he left the county at age 20, I'm not sure if we would have served in the military before that.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hey you never know!!!=Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

When Alberto Filoso immigrated in 1920 he declared he was joining his uncle Giacomo Ferraro. Giacomo arrived in Ellis Island twice, the second time, in 1910 he was traveling with Antonio Molfettone, 33. Both Giacomo Ferraro and Antonio Molfettone had their residence in Ischia; Giacomo was born in Pianura, which is a locality (hamlet) in Naples, while Antonio was born in Sarno, province of Salerno, which is close to the island of Ischia. I would therefore infer that Alberto Filoso was coming from the island of Ischia.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

A few observations.

1. The name is found in 30 comunes in Italy. Are you sure the two are connected?
http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

2. I checked the Paginebianche, note this entry

Filoso Rita
80070 Barano D'Ischia (NA) - Via N.bixio, 14
081 906452

3.Barano d'Ischia is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Naples in the Italian region Campania, located in the south-west area of Ischia island, about 30 km southwest of Naples.

Barano d'Ischia borders the following municipalities: Casamicciola Terme, Ischia, Serrara Fontana.

4. The name Moffetone does not exist in Italy, so perhaps it is Molfettone as Livio suggests.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The name is Malfettone and appears mainly in Napoli and Salerno. :lol: