question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gervasius

question

Post by gervasius »

My great-grandfather, Nicola Gervasi, came to America in 1899. The 1930 census indicates that he was naturalized but I got a letter of nonexistence of naturalization from the archives for him....so I assume that the info on the census is an error. My grandfather was born in 1932. Does this mean I'm eligible for Italian citizenship?

Jason
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: question

Post by peggymckee »

gervasius wrote:The 1930 census indicates that he was naturalized but I got a letter of nonexistence of naturalization from the archives for him
You need to check county and state courts, NARA has only federal court records for your region. The Consulates generally accept only a no records letter from USCIS. Have you tried ancestry.com? Good luck, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Why not try again??..sometimes personnel are to swift to deny a request so they do not have to search beyond the end of their noses. Since I am from the positive paranoia school of thinking...it's gotta be there!! is my motto. =Peter=
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

PeterTimber wrote:it's gotta be there!!
Gervasius hopes that his GGF naturalized after his GF was born. Otherwise, he isn't eligible from his father's side.

Gervasius--might you be eligible via your mother's side? Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

Gervasius,

I do believe it must be on the paternal side.

Aether
"Fiori di grano.
Amici piu' di prima saremo;
Amici piu' di prima da lontano".
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Citizenship cannot be passed thru the maternal line prior to January 1, 1948.

Have you placed the family on an earlier census to narrow down the time of naturalization?

The records may be held on a local level as opposed to federal, depending on the timeframe.

Here are two links to further explain the naturalization process and where to look for records.

http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html

http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/natura ... cords.html

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."