Info. about searching records in Italy in person please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Info. about searching records in Italy in person please

Post by gennattasio »

Can anyone tell me the protocol for searching birth and marriage records in Oppido Mamertina, Reggio di Calabria in person? Are you only permitted to present a request in person, how many requests can one make, is it possible to do this any day of the week, can a friend in Italy obtain documents for me, exactly how is it done, etc..? Any details appreciated. Thanks.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Info. about searching records in Italy in person please

Post by Italysearcher »

It all depends on which years you need documents for. If they are in the last 70 years the privacy laws are in full effect. Older than that is at the discretion of the Head of the Anagrafe dept of the town. If you want them to do your family tree you are probably wasting your time. The records microfilmed by the LDS are scarce which could mean anything.
I would send a letter(or email) to the address below asking for the records you require but limit it to two generations. i.e. birth record of your ancestor and the marriage of his/her parents. This actually gives you 3 generations since the marriage will give your the names of their parents.
Include your relationship and some photo ID. This will take them some time so if you have a friend who can pick them up I would state this and give the friends name, address and telephone number, then ask the friend to call them to make sure they received the letter (email) and ask how long before it is ready. He may need to call again a few weeks later. Good Luck. If your friend can do the search personally you might want to ask the Mayor's permission to have him do that on your behalf.
Ufficio SERVIZI DEMOGRAFICI - STATO CIVILE
Responsabile: Annunziata Albano
Orario: lunedi. venerdi. 08.30 - 14.00 lunedi.e mercoledì 15.30 - 18.30
Telefono: 0966.879112
Fax: 0966.879112
E-Mail: statocivile@oppidomamertina.net
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Italysearcher wrote: The records microfilmed by the LDS are scarce which could mean anything.
[align=justify]This is certainly not true, more of Southern Italy has been microfilmed by the LDS Church than not, unless you live in the provinces of Salerno or Napoli.

They have filmed his town for the years 1809-1910 Complete with Atti Diversi documents. [/align]

Oppido Mamertina (Reggio di Calabria). Ufficio dello stato civile

I have sent for dozens of Stato Records from all over Italy and have never heard of sending a copy of your photo ID. If the records are older than 70 years a letter and perhaps a few Euro will in most cases receive a response, documents included.

It has been my experience that going to the Stato in person to request these documents has been a more difficult process than writing or better yet ordering the LDS films. The few times I have gone to their office directly I was told to come back later in the day or even in a couple days, allowing them to find the time to fufill my request.

Now that was frustrating!
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

Sorry, I didn't give you much info.. The records I would like to acquire are all before 1897. I already have seen and copied the microfilm from LDS. I have all of my names and dates and I've done my family tree from now back to 1877. As you all know the LDS microfilm is not sufficient documentation and the original documents are needed for dual cit.. I'm going to Italy in May and would like to visit my family's town so I was wondering if I could acquire the documents in person myself instead of waiting. I have already sent to Oppido for my documents but not received anything as of yet. I was just wondering how easy or difficult it would be in person, I do speak Italian.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

My apologies, James is right. I only read the first page and did not look at the film notes.
I have been asked for my photo ID when asking for documents for a third party AND I have been asked for Photo ID of the third party, although not in all towns. I just mentioned this so as to save him time.
In my experience the towns will frequently ask you to come back if they know you live close by. It happens to me a lot especially when I request photocopies of the original. The easiest to get are the forms for citizenship as they seem to understand the need for these rather than those wanted just for family history research.
If you speak the language you should have no problem if you state they are for citizenship purposes.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

Thanks for the responses. Can this be done on a walk-in basis or is an appointment necessary? Can anyone confirm if I have sent my document request to the correct address for Oppido please:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Oppido Mamertina
89014 Oppido Marmertina RC
Italy
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

You don't usually need an appointment in the local town office, however, if I am taking someone to a town for this purpose I write to the office (or email) about one month before asking for the document and telling them you will be coming to pick it up in person and give the date. The chances are it won't be ready, but they will then do it on the spot. I recommend you don't show up when the office opens but around mid- morning. You may be asked to return around noon or 1pm!
If they give you a hard time, then go to the Mayor and tell him you have been waiting a month for this. He will then get it done as the law here says you are entitled to a response in a reasonable length of time! About a month!
Ann Tatangelo
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

Thanks for the very useful advice.