Mole Of Genoa

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
fstevens

Mole Of Genoa

Post by fstevens »

Hi all
On the 1861 English census I have found a relative born in 1815, with a birthplace that appears to be something like "Pomescinto, Mole of Genoa".

I have found that Mole of Genoa refers to the harbour at Genoa, but I cannot find "Pomescinto" I am probably misreading the word, but I can find nothing similar either.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards
Fred
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Mole Of Genoa

Post by PeterTimber »

The expression pomescinto I suspect comes from the verb SCINGERE=to UNGIRD which I interpret to mean GAVE BIRTH since it relates to that event. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

fstevens wrote:Hi all
On the 1861 English census I have found a relative born in 1815, with a birthplace that appears to be something like "Pomescinto, Mole of Genoa".
If you post an image of the census, maybe we can try to help you reading the name.
fstevens

Post by fstevens »

Oops I thought I had attached an image.
Trying again

Thanks for the replies

The person I am interested in is Joseph John Bush.

I get errors when I try to attach image, have put on my webspace at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fredzhedz/bush1.jpg if anyone would like to check it.

Thanks
Fred
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

What do you require? please advise. =Peter=-
fstevens

Post by fstevens »

PeterTimber wrote:What do you require? please advise. =Peter=-
Hi Peter
I am trying to decipher the writing on the census image.
On the 5th line down, Joseph John Bush, a Sawmaker born in ?????????, Mole of Genoa. Trying to see the word before Mole of Genoa.

Rgds
Fred
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Fred

I'm sending you a PM (private message) check your in box. I'll give you my email address and you can email me your census and I'll post for you.

Regards,
Elizabeth
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

BillieDeKid wrote:Hi Fred

I'm sending you a PM (private message) check your in box. I'll give you my email address and you can email me your census and I'll post for you.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth, the census has already been posted:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fredzhedz/bush1.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not able to understand what the birth place could be :?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The paying website www.findmypast.com has a listing for 1 Joseph John Bush born at sea between 1872 and 1883. You will have to decided whther you wish to pursue the matter in this website. =Peter=
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Sorry about that Livio, I read right past the link (blue on blue). My old eyes aren't what they use to be.

One thing for occupation......it's not Saw maker...first letter is definately not an S based on the other capital S's on the document.
fstevens

Post by fstevens »

PeterTimber wrote:The paying website www.findmypast.com has a listing for 1 Joseph John Bush born at sea between 1872 and 1883. You will have to decided whther you wish to pursue the matter in this website. =Peter=
Thanks for that Peter, my JJ Bush was born in 1815, but might be a link somewhere
fstevens

Post by fstevens »

BillieDeKid wrote:Sorry about that Livio, I read right past the link (blue on blue). My old eyes aren't what they use to be.

One thing for occupation......it's not Saw maker...first letter is definately not an S based on the other capital S's on the document.
The enumerators writing is causing all the trouble :(

It does not look the same as other capital S but, Joseph was definitely a Sawmaker, I have found him listed on other censuses, and in the 1840 Post Office Directory.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Okay,

I have to put my two cents in. A mole is a pier, dock, fortress or fortification in a harbor. Is it possible that Joseph was born on a ship, the Pomescinto, docked in the harbor of Genoa?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Misbris thank you for restating what I advised at the beginning of this inquiry.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Misbris I mistated myself I am of the opinion that the word mean giving birth on a pier in Genova. But now that you mention the name of a ship there is another possiblity that I overlooked. I hope we find the answer. sorry Peter