Battalott

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
welshgirl

Battalott

Post by welshgirl »

Hello everyone, I may have already attempted this query with you. But here goes.

Alice Battalott came to South Wales UK sometimetime around 1920. Alice married Charles Henry Bishop.She died 1940.in Wales.

Researching her surname has drawn a blank.
It was suggested she was from Malta.However, I can find nothing with this surname.

Does anyone recognise the name Battalott?

Thank you in advance of any help you can offer.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Battalott

Post by JamesBianco »

In my Sicilian research I have encountered the surname Bartolotta quite often, and even have it in my direct ancestry from Carini (Provincia di Palermo). Malta is close to Sicily ...

You might want to explore this as a possible original surname. I can easily see how it could have been anglicized to "Battalott". The final "A" would not be overly emphasized when pronounced in Italian, so it could sound to a non-Italian as "Bartallott" or "Battallot"
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe is BATTILOTTI/BATTILOTTA right spelling... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
welshgirl

Post by welshgirl »

My dear sir, thank you so much for your kind response to my quest to find the origin of the surname "Battalott" no doubt this will urge more interest and, hopefully a good lineage will come through. I noticed you mention your own connection of this name, I would be interested in any more information you could offer in that regard, if not
Again, many thanks.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I did a sweep of the name thru a series of surname websites without a trace,however, there is an english paying website that should not be overlooked since they charge minimally and by each case so it seems. The website is www. findmypast.com. =Peter=
welshgirl

Re: Battalott Now Baltallot

Post by welshgirl »

Hello again, you were so kind in assisting me in my endeavors to discover the name Battalott, however, and while a simple mistake by UK register Office has produce the above name , in fact the name "Baltallot" is the corrected name.

Are there any conections with this new Surname? I hope so.
welshgirl

Post by welshgirl »

welshgirl wrote:Hello again, you were so kind in assisting me in my endeavors to discover the name Battalott, however, and while a simple mistake by UK register Office has produce the above name , in fact the name "Baltallot" is the corrected name.

Does the "Bartolotto" surname find itself in Italy or Malta? sorry to be so dumb just don't know your country.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

welshgirl wrote:
welshgirl wrote:Hello again, you were so kind in assisting me in my endeavors to discover the name Battalott, however, and while a simple mistake by UK register Office has produce the above name , in fact the name "Baltallot" is the corrected name.

Does the "Bartolotto" surname find itself in Italy or Malta? sorry to be so dumb just don't know your country.
No Bartolotto but Bartolotta and Bartolotti show here:

BARTALI
BARTALINI
BARTALOTTA
BARTALUCCI
BARTOLETTI
BARTOLINI
BARTOLO
BARTOLONI
BARTOLOTTA
BARTOLOTTI

BARTOLUCCI Bartali è specifico del fiorentino e del senese, Bartalini è tipicamente toscano, Bartalotta è un cognome di origine calabrese, Bartalucci è decisamente toscano, anche se presente in misura significativa in tutta la regione, parrebbe originario del grossetano, Bartoletti è tipico della fascia che da Lucca arriva alla Romagna, Bartolini è molto diffuso dall'Emilia al Lazio, Bartolo è tipico del sud, ha ceppi nel napoletano, nel barese, in Sicilia ed in Calabria, nel reggino soprattutto e nel catanzarese, Bartoloni è molto diffuso nell'area che comprende la Toscana, soprattutto il fiorentino, le Marche e l'Umbria ed il Lazio, soprattutto il romano, Bartolotta sembrerebbe siciliano, Bartolotti è specifico del bolognese e ravennate, Bartolucci è molto diffuso nella fascia centrale che comprende Romagna, Marche, Toscana, Umbria, Abruzzo e Lazio, derivano tutti, direttamente o tramite modificazioni ipocoristiche o accrescitive, dal nome medioevale Bartolus di cui abbiamo un esempio con l'insigne giurista bolognese Bartolus de Saxoferratus (1314-57) ed in quest'atto del 1400 nel cesenate: "...Postquam super venit Bartolus predictus filius dicti Sanctis et armatus una stanga lignea fecit insultum, impetum et aggressuram contra dictum Ser Joannem...".

What it says is:
Bartolotta seems to be Sicilian, Bartolotti e specifically of the Bologna and Ravenna areas.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
welshgirl

Post by welshgirl »

Thank you so much. Would you know if I could find a female named Alice Bartoltto/a/i born 1907 in the place mentioned.?