Looking for D'Angelo family from Partanna, Trapani, Ita

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lrthomsen

Looking for D'Angelo family from Partanna, Trapani, Ita

Post by lrthomsen »

I am looking for information on my husband's grandparents who came to the US through Ellis Island sometime between 1909 and 1916. Grandpa's name was Francesco (Ciccio) Paolo D'Angelo born September 5, 1884. Grandmother's name was Santa (Santina) Gambina born August 7, 1888.

I appreciate any information you might have or if you could point me in the right direction to research. I am new to doing genealogical research.

Thanks
Renee
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking for D'Angelo family from Partanna, Trapani,

Post by ChrisMosca »

Where in the united states did they end up living, I'm also doing research on the D'angelo family that eneded up in milwaukee, Wisconsin

have you searched the ellis island website to see where exactly they where going to?
a lot of people here have memberships to ancestry.com and could find out a lot of info for you.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

did they have a daughter Maria?
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

I may have found the manifest for Santa Gambina, it looks like she came with just her daughter, and her husband might have come before her.

line 6 and 7Image
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

I think Francesco paolo arrived on may 27 1903 its hard to read the manifest.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

there's a santa D'angelo born 06 august 1888 died 03 Oct 1977 in orange county, California. is that the same person?
lrthomsen

Post by lrthomsen »

Yes, the manifest is correct. I didn't know that Grandpa D'Angelo came separately but I did know that Grandma came with her only daughter at the time and her name was Mary or Maria. This is great! Thanks.

The D'Angelo's came to Brooklyn and then later moved to Southern California, which is where we live now. So the person you mentioned who died in 1988 is Grandma D'Angelo.

I can't thank you enough for this information. It's another piece of the puzzle.

Was your family from Sicily also?
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

i think I also found the california death index for Francesco D'angelo, born
05 sep 1884 died 22 Nov 1961 in Los Angeles, California.
lrthomsen

Post by lrthomsen »

I forgot to ask, when you did a search on the Ellis Island site, how did you get Santa's name to come up. I did several searches and couldn't get a Gambina. I must be doing something wrong. I'd like to do some more searching but not sure if I'm setting the search criteria correctly.

Also, what do you think the name of the ship is adn what the actual date of arrival is? It's hard to read the writing. Was their a second page on the manifest?
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

Do the names Gregorio Antonio D'angelo and Maria Zarzana mean anything to you? possible parents of Francesco D'angelo.

the D'angelos i'm searching I haven't been able to find an exact birth location but it seems like they came from palermo, italy.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

the arrival date is 02 jan 1912 and the ship name is San Giovanni, the port of departure was palermo (I searched on ancestry.com)

Santa Gambina
Arrival Date: 2 Jan 1912
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Port of Departure: Palermo
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: San Giovanni
Search Ship Database: View the San Giovanni in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Sicily
Line: 6
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_1793
Birth Location: Sicily
Birth Location Other: partanna
Page Number: 56
lrthomsen

Post by lrthomsen »

Gregoria Antonio and Maria Zarzana are the parents of Francesco Paolo D'Angelo. These are my husband's G-Grandparents. All the information I have on them is their names. How did you find that out?
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

it seems like someone on ancestry.com has already started a family tree with your husbands family the only thing is that the owner has it private so that all i could see was the names.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

ChrisMosca wrote:I think Francesco paolo arrived on may 27 1903 its hard to read the manifest.
Never mind this date, I don't think is the right one, he must have left closer to 1912 because their daughter I think was only 2 yrs old when Santa left italy.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

Did some of the family went to argentina? or is there any connection to argentina.