Need help with name on WWII draft card

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Need help with name on WWII draft card

Post by Marlena »

ON this draft card for WWII for Joseph Turturici Bell is his sister name. Is it Mary Bell Tamburs or Tambers or ???? I'm trying to locate her in a census but not having any luck with the spelling of her last name.
http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... id=2553683

Thanks as always, Marlene Rinella-Caredio
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Need help with name on WWII draft card

Post by pink67 »

It seems MARY BELL TAMBURO

Laura
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Yes, I see it now...that was with closest spellings I have found but no census.
Thank you Pink 67
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

And you will not find a census like that. Mary Bell is listed in 1930 in the household of her brother Joseph, single. The mother is named Rosa...no wife listed. Also brother named Ralph, sister Catherine. The brothers and sisters were born in PA>

Are you sure his father was named Giuseppe? It is unusual for the father and son to be named the same (Giuseppe translates to Joseph) for someone born in Italy in 1884. Think maybe his father was named something different?

Doubt his name was changed to Bell at Ellis Island. More likely he changed it later, of his father did. You need to check the census data...he arrived in the 1880's so the family should be in 1900, 1910, and 1920 census in addition to 1930.

What else have you found? Census data? Naturization papers? City directories? WWI enlistment? These should be available. Will check to see what else is available.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The father of Joseph was Michael (Michele).

Here is the 1900 census:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6930 ... susxq5.jpg

Here is the 1910 census:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/550/mi ... susgb0.jpg

Your best bet might be to find Michael's naturalization papers. Could give you more info on the family origins.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

len52mar wrote:ON this draft card for WWII for Joseph Turturici Bell is his sister name. Is it Mary Bell Tamburs or Tambers or ???? I'm trying to locate her in a census but not having any luck with the spelling of her last name.
http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... id=2553683

Thanks as always, Marlene Rinella-Caredio
Mary is Joseph's sister, I have those census's with her parents, Michele and Rosa, and siblings. I am trying to locate a Mary Tamburo and a husband on a 1930 census. I found a SS death record for a Mary Tamburo but since it does not list her mother's maiden name I'm not sure. I did find Rosa and her children's ship manifest but not Michele (Michael). I searched though the naturalization site, Footnotes, online but haven't found any papers on any of this family. Is there another site I can check?
Thank you,
Marlene
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

haven't found any papers on any of this family

A bit more on Joseph’s father from Joseph’s WWI Card:

Joseph’s 1918 WWI Card
Joseph Turturici Bell
607 Webster, Pittsburgh
Born 18 Sep 1884
Naturalized thru father
Nearest relative: Michael Bell (or Bella)
Box 606, California, Washington, PA

Possible Naturalization paperwork from footnote
1903 Michele Bella Petition for Naturalization
Publication Number: M1537
Publication Title:
Naturalization Petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930,
and Circuit Court, 1820-1911,
for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Publisher: NARA
State: Pennsylvania
Court:
US Circuit and District Courts, Oct 1820-Sep 3, 1906
Year: 1903
Date: 07 Jul 1903
Immigrant Full Name: Michele Bella
Document Type: Petition for Naturalization
Home Country: Italy
Witness Full Name: C. W. Costello
Year Immigrated: [BLANK]
Note: residence California, PA
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

thank you VJ,

Wow, I missed seeing a WWI, thanks. I haven't seen the name written as Bella but I will keep this for further study. Maybe they changed it from Turturici to Bella to Bell?

Did you join the footnote site to see the full, readable,naturalization paper?
Thank you again!
Marlene
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Marlene, you're welcome!
We hope the lead helps :D .
Joseph's WWWI Card was mis-filed on ancestry...
Did you join the footnote site to see the full, readable,
naturalization paper?

Yes, it's a terrific resource for naturalization especially
(CA MA MD NY & PA)!
footnote.com
Valarie
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Ok Who is Mary? Where was she listed as part of the family? Is this Priscilla? If so, maybe she is listed under the name Priscilla in the census. If the daughter named Mary is the Mary listed in the 1910 census, she is still single in 1930 census. So you won't find her under a married name. If Catherine is the one called Mary, maybe she is listed under Catherine.

Almost every Italian women had Mary in her name and often they were listed that way in the census because their names would be Mary Priscilla, or something and since Mary came first, that was what was listed.

If the Mary is the daughter named Mary...then she married after 1930 and there is no current census available to check 1940. Try the city directories to see if you can track her that way.

Does this make sense?
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Essgee,

Yes, Joseph's sisters are Mary, Catherine and Priscilla. Mary Bell Tamburo is listed on his WWII card as a contact as person who will always know his name and address. Mary Bell married someone with the surname of Tamburo..., Yes, you're right, I won't find her on a 1930 census under Tamburo (oops! on my part). I'm pretty sure Mary is deceased as I did find a SS death record but as I mentioned before no mother's maiden name. I know Priscilla married an Adolph Sforza and have seen her California (state) death record. I have nothing on Catherine or Ralph. I know Ralph was also an attorney. I have contacted the Pennsylvania and Allegheny Co. Bar Associations but they don't have records that far back. I did find Joseph listed in the "History of Pittsburgh" http://books.google.com/books?id=iGROWo ... Px9-lc6tcA
I was told Joseph never married but Ralph did.

Thank you again for your replys,
Marlene
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Living at 5636 Ripley in 1930 is Augusta Tamburo, a widow, with two sons and a daughter:

1930 census http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7551/a ... nsume5.jpg

No doubt one of the sons might well be the husband of Mary. The James V. listed...there is a Vincent Tamburo listed in the SSDI as living in Pittsburg when he died, as was Mary. Might be the one.

Good luck.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Thank you Essgee! I will follow that lead.
Marlene
Teevtee

Post by Teevtee »

I have information on the people you are researching and have sent you a private message. Please let me know how I can help.

Thanks