Salina records help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AtomHeartDuck

Salina records help

Post by AtomHeartDuck »

Hi, I first posted here a while ago seeking any info on my surname and have since found help from the New York branch of my family. The current surname is Locanthi, but was originally either Locanto or Locantro (which is the most likely option of the two). We believe it to be the most likely option because it is the surname of his first child (Joseph Locantro born in 1904) and because the surname appears near Salina (using the map tool at this site: www.gens.labo.net)

At any rate, my great-grandfather Bartolomeo Locantro (appears as Bartel Locanto in the 1910 census and as Bartholomew Locanthi in the 1920 census) was born in Marseille. According to my great aunt, both of his parents (Giuseppe and Rosa) were from Salina, Italy. Do you know of any place/website where I might find records (birth, church membership, marriage, etc.) for that island/area?

If it helps: Giuseppe was born in 1860 and Rosa was born in 1862 (according to the 1910 US census). Rosa's maiden name was Melino.

Thanks in advance,
-John
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Salina records help

Post by misbris »

Hi John,

The Family History Center has the records for Salina, Mantova, Italy and the island of Salina, Messina, Sicily. If either of these places is what you are looking for, here is the link

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... RTOF=italy

Hope it helps!
AtomHeartDuck

Post by AtomHeartDuck »

Thanks...

Is it possible to order a copy of the microfilm from that site or does one have to visit the genealogical records in Salt Lake City in person?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

There are Family History Centers all over the world. Use this link to find the one closest to you.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

You must go to the center to order the microfilm. Cost is about $6 per roll and it takes 3 to 4 weeks for the fillm to come in. (I got one in 2 weeks and am still waiting for one ordered in January) You have to use the film at the center, but you can make copies or burn a disc. If you have any other questions, we will be happy to help.

Good Luck :lol: :lol:
AtomHeartDuck

Post by AtomHeartDuck »

Cool, looks like there are 2 in my own hometown

Thanks again
:D
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Make sure that you call before you go. Centers are staffed by volunteers and hours change frequently. What is posted on line might be out of date. Also make sure you check their permanent collection. You might just get lucky and find out someone else has ordered the film you need. :wink: