Genelogy Software

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Genelogy Software

Post by jamiestew »

I am just now starting to get overwhelmed with facts. I need adivice form everyone on what programs they use. Family Tree Maker or Legecy Deluxe 6 ect??? I was subscribed to Ancestry.copm do these products work hand in hand with the websites??
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Genelogy Software

Post by nuccia »

We had a whole thread dedicated to this topic about a year ago. Let me see if I can find it (unless someone else does first). I think you would find it quite useful.

As for ancestry.com .... here's my opinion about that. Ancestry is a great resource. A one stop "shopping" if you will. The problem I see with it is this. You pay to subscribe to it and then you have the option of submitting your family info to it either by entry or through a genealogy program. Once your membership runs out however, you can't view your own information anymore which is really quite sad. If you want to update it or change anything you are not able.

Sometimes I think you would be better off to upload your info on your own site. There are several free sites such as google pages that would work To determine if your site is popular, you can add a statscounter, also for free.

Hope this helps some.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Yes Nuccia I agree. I dont like spend that kind of money for the subscription and would like to use the geneology program myself. The people on this forum have been way more help in one weekend than ancestry.om has been in one weekend. I hope I can return the favor someday. I will search for the thread. Thank-you much !!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Let me know if you need any help!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Jamie.........

For what it is worth, I am not a fan of the latest Family Tree Maker Program...2008. It has a lot of bugs, doesn't offer as many options as the older programs. If you can get an older copy of 2005 or 2006, these are quite good.

If you go to Genforum, check out these boards:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/general/#computers

This site has a lot of current opinion on the various programs out there.
VXZZZZZZ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VXZZZZZZ »

Hello there, just another thread that I would like to add my two cents to...

I use Borderbound Family Tree Maker Deluxe version 5, which is about 8 years old now, but I love the program, and since Borderbound was purchased a few years back, their programs have changed, and are not compatible with each other.

FTM5 is only like 8 megs, and if I had my say, I would post it for download on any number of free sites....it's dumb that such a wonderfully small and complete program should charge you so much for it's use...

Ah well...Perhaps you can find a used copy on Amazon.com or something....

My wife's uncle uses a program called GenoPro (http://www.genopro.com/), he swears by it, but I was not all that enthused by it...it seemed as if it was missing things that I would have put in there had I been the coder...

Just my two cents into the kettle...

Vince
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

A good program to start with, and it's free..... :wink:

Lds PAF

Also now has a companion program for colorful charts.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

VXZZZZZZ wrote:
FTM5 is only like 8 megs, and if I had my say, I would post it for download on any number of free sites....it's dumb that such a wonderfully small and complete program should charge you so much for it's use...

Ah well...Perhaps you can find a used copy on Amazon.com or something....

Vince
When I originally got my first FTM5, it was offered as a free download and I believe it still is. I think they call it the starter edition...You can use most of the features for 30 days and then it leaves you with a limited file.

http://past.familytreemaker.com/Download/Starter.aspx
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database