Sciscente and Macchia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JFreeman

Sciscente and Macchia

Post by JFreeman »

I am researching my wife's maternal family - Sciscente originally from Casacalenda, Campobasso, Italy. Giuseppi Sciscente and his wife Carmela Macchia immigrated to Montreal about 1910 and had 5 children, the 4th being my mother-in-law. I would welcome hearing from anyone connected or with any information or suggestions for research. Jack
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Sciscente and Macchia

Post by Essgee »

My family is related to the Sciscente's. I have a great deal of information on them. There was group that settled in Fall River, Massachusetts and they intermarried into my grandmother's family.

Can't get back to the library until next week...no longer opened on the weekends, and hours limited through the week. But I can find out all you need to know on the family. I have the records of Casacalenda on microfilm on permanent loan at the library.

Back when I can give you more info.
JFreeman

Post by JFreeman »

Thanks, Essgee. As suggested in various messages I have looked for and found the FHL microfilm numbers for Casacalenda and plan to order them from nearest library next week. But any assistance you can provide will be appreciated. I have not been successful in finding them on the Ellis Island site - of those with same/similar names there is always some data to make it unlikely to be the right person. Jack
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Here are the arrival records at Ellis Island:

Arrival of Giuseppe Sciscente/o:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9239 ... scerj5.jpg

Arrival of Maria Carmela Macchia:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/621/ ... amaim2.jpg

Before you order the films, let me see what I can find. I can get copies of the originals and post copies of them here. I will see what I can find on Tuesday and then you can make the decision on what to order.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The family I have is that of Pardo Sciscente, son of Donato, son of Pardo, son of Carlo, son of Maurizio, son of Carlo born about 1715.

No doubt, your wife's family is from this same line...the first born son they had is Carlo. Now all we have to do is determine who is who. Your Giuseppe may be the cousin of the Pardo who came to Fall River, his father maybe the brother of Donato.

Time will tell...guess I shouldn't be speculating. Only I always get excited when people have ancestors from the same place my ancestors came from.

If you go to Ancestry, place Scisc* in the search engine, no first name. On the next page, if you can access the World tree pages, you will find a cousin who has posted her family (she is related to my grandmother's family). There are photos of family members under the PHOTOGRAPHS section. The way I knew we were related was coming across one of her pictures that I had another original copy of...I never knew who the person was as it was from my grandmother's drawer of old photo's with no names. Imagine my surprise to see that same photo posted on the Internet!

Anyway, I believe the person who posted the photos (I won't give her name directly) will be happy to hear from you, and you can contact her through Ancestry.

Good Luck........Susan
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Susan & Jack
In case you don’t already have this
Valarie

possible 1911 census

Census Year: 1911
Province: Quebec
District: Montreal St Laurent
District Number: 182
Sub-District: St. Louis Ward
Sub-District Number: 28
Place of Habitation: 154a Demontigue
Page: 8

Name: George? Scisenta
Birth Date: February (1877)
Birthplace: Italy
Family Number: 87
Relation to Head of House: Chef (Head)
Spouse's Name: Carman
Immigration Year: 1909
Tribal: Italian

Name: Carman Scisenta
Birth Date: August (1879)
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1909

Name: Carl Scisenta
Birth Date: Jun 1901
Birthplace: Quebec?
JFreeman

Post by JFreeman »

Thanks to you all for the information.
Essgee, I couldn't quite read the Ellis Island pictures so accessed the records direct and they look to be the right people even though there are some inconsistencies from what we had understood from the family. That's not unusual!
Susan, I haven't yet looked at Ancestry - will later.
And VJ, those census records are undoubtedly for the right people too even though there are some mistakes.
Jack
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Found this at the library today.

Giuseppe Antonio Sciscente was born on 4 Feb 1866 to
Carlo Sciscente*, age 30, and his wife
Angela Maria Ramacieri**
Birth record notes that he married Maria Carmela Macchia on 25 Nov 1899.

*Carlo Antonio Sciscente was born 24 January 1844 to
Pardo Sciscente di Carlo, age 26, and his wife
Rosangela Vincelli, age 25

**Angela Maria Ramacieri was born 11 Mar 1851 to
Giovanni Ramacieri di Nicola, age 28 and his wife
Maria Emmanuela di Blasio, age 24
There is a notation that she married Vincenzo Di Lalla on 6
April 1883. Went and checked and found a death record for
Carlo Sciscente dated 20 Dec 1882, age 38, son of the late Pardo
Sciscente and Rosangela Vincelli who is still living.

Maria Carmela Macchia was born on 18 Aug 1867 to
Cherubino Macchia, age 42, and his wife
Carminella Lazazzera
There is a correction on the birth record dated 28 Oct 1899 which corrects the name of the mother to Carmina Pietrantonio* and not Carminella Lazazzera. Also states Carmela Macchia married Giuseppantonio Sciscente on 25 Nov 1899.

*Carmina Pietrantonio was born 3 Nov 1838 to
Vincenzo Pietrantonio di Egidio, age 28 and his wife
Maria Vincenza Lazazzera, age 30

I copied the records, but they are difficult to read...poor picture quality. Will attempt to scan tomorrow and see if you will be able to read them. I am returning to the library later this week if the weather holds. I will get more then.

Hope this keeps you for a bit! If you located the info at Ancestry on the Sciscente line, you now know that Pardo, son of Carlo in your line merges with Pardo, son of Carlo in the posted line. So you are cousins...

Have a great evening........... Susan (Essgee)
JFreeman

Post by JFreeman »

Hi Susan (Essgee),
Thank you so much for the detailed information. I went to the nearest FHL yesterday and ordered the microfilm, but it will be a couple of weeks before I get it. This adds a couple of generations and it will be easier for me to search as I will have a better idea of dates and names that I am looking for.
My mother-in-law will be amazed; either ecstatic or completely unbelieving. She is 93, very proud of her Italian heritage, but confused when it comes to details. That is understandable both because she is in the beginning stages of dementia and also because no one in her family ever wrote down any details and thus the stories have become confused over the years.
I tried the Ancestry.com search yesterday, but was not successful - I refuse to pay for a membership and therefore will try at my local library where they provide access.
There is some confusion to the birthdate of Giuseppi Sciscente - 1866 or 1877; 1877 seems more likely. Also you note that a record said that Pardo and Roseangela 'is still living'. I assume that means they were at time of death of Carlo in 1882. Also referring to the corrected record, could you verify which record and date - 1899 seems too late.
If you are interested I can provide some information about the family that Giuseppi Sciscente and Carmela Macchia had in Montreal, my mother-in-law being the 4th of 5 children.
Jack
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Jack....

You are correct...it is 1876 for Giuseppe and 1877 for Carmela Macchia.

Rosangela is still living at the time of the death of her son, Carlo as you noted correctly.

And 1899 is the date of the correction. I think what happened was that the birth record was checked for the marriage banns and marriage records--Giuseppe and Carmela married in Nov of 1899..and that was when the wrong name was discovered. And I think the mother of Carmena Pietrantonio was a Lazazzero and that is how the name was incorrectly listed. I will check on this.

I am forwarding copies of the documents for you to have:

Document to correct the birth record of Carmela Macchia:
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7949/scan1mw3.jpg

Death Record for Carlo Antonio Sciscente:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7465/scan2eg7.jpg

Birth Record for Giuseppe Sciscente:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6939/scan3rl7.jpg

Birth Record of Carlo Antonio Sciscente: (Hard to read a lot
of bleed through from the back of the page)
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6467/scan4kj1.jpg

Document in Birth records recording birth for marriage:
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/5818/scan5ad5.jpg

Another copy of Birth Record for Carlo Antonio Sciscente:
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1594/scan6et3.jpg

Maria Carmela Macchia birth record, page 1
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5162/scan7pz4.jpg

Maria Carmela Macchia birth record, page 2
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4638/scan8tb9.jpg

There is a lot of bleed through on some of the records. I have some info on Pardo, son of Carlo. I will have to get into my files and see if I already have copies of the birth records...if not, can get them for you.

If the weather holds tomorrow, I will get back to the library...they close when the schools close so even a drop of solid moisture and they call the school day to a close!

Give your M-in-L my regards. A cousin of Giuseppe's, Pardo Sciscente, married Lucia Miozza, a first cousin of my grandmother. I grew up knowing the Sciscentos but not knowing how they were related to my family. It took a few years to discover it. They were great people. They all settled in Fall River, Ma.

Back later....
JFreeman

Post by JFreeman »

Thanks again Susan. The picture quality makes it difficult, but at least it's forced me to improve my Italian reading which will be useful when I get the microfilm. Jack
Panache

Post by Panache »

Essgee wrote:My family is related to the Sciscente's. I have a great deal of information on them. There was group that settled in Fall River, Massachusetts and they intermarried into my grandmother's family.

Can't get back to the library until next week...no longer opened on the weekends, and hours limited through the week. But I can find out all you need to know on the family. I have the records of Casacalenda on microfilm on permanent loan at the library.

Back when I can give you more info.
Hello,

I am researching my fiance's paternal family: the Sciscente/i/o family from Casacalinda, Italy. We have been able to trace back to his g-grandfather, Nunzio Sciscenti (b. 1891), who first went to Canada, then to Washington, D.C. where he settled down with his wife Adelina, son Tito (both born in Italy), and son Louis. We believe Nunzio had a brother named Louis living in New York, and that their father's name was Giambattista Sciscenti. Would you have any information regarding this branch of the family? Thank you very much for your time.

Colleen Newhams Fennell
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Colleen.....

I will be happy to check. I am leaving town tomorrow so I am not sure I will get to the library this week. I need to as I own lookups for others as well...but been a busy month!

In the mean time, I found this and wasn't sure if you had seen it:

WWI Registration:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4184 ... gisir9.jpg

This is a passport application, 2 pages:
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9230 ... rtaju3.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4990 ... rtabu0.jpg

Do you know the maiden name of Adelina. Might be able to track her as well...though she may have been born after 1900 so it becomes a problem as the records end in 1900 on film. But worth a chance if you know anything about her at all.

Let me know.

I will definately check, but it might be next week.

Have a great one!
Panache

Post by Panache »

Thank you very much. Yes, we've come across the WWI and passport records for Nunzio. We've also found some of his immigration records (ship passages,) as well as (what I believe is) his son Tito's ship passage record - although his name is stated as Guiseppe (but the rest of the information matches Tito.) I currently do not know what Tito's full name was, and am reluctant to ask family, as there appears to be some kind of family conflict, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

We've come across Nunzio and family in the 1930 US census. His wife, Adelina, is stated to have been born in Italy in 1891, so hopefully records for her are available. Unfortunately, that is all we know about her at this time. We haven't been able to locate her ship passage record yet, but we're still looking. According to Tito's record, she did not come over with him, but the 1930 census states she did arrive the same year.

I really appreciate you offering to take the time to help us out in our search. And if there's any information you may be looking for that we can help you with, please let us know. We are located in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA, USA, and have a full membership with Ancestry.com. Thank you once again.

Colleen Newhams Fennell
Researching surnames: Newhams, McDaniels, Sciscent, Ulatowski... among others :wink:
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Ok, I give up. Where are they in the 1930 Census? How is the name spelled?