microfilm question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

microfilm question

Post by davidlatour »

I requested microfilm from the local family research center on February 23.... I still haven't heard anything back. Is this normal?
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
misbris
Master
Master

Re: microfilm question

Post by misbris »

Normal wait is 3 to 4 weeks. I have gotten film as quickly as 2 weeks and just last week got a roll I ordered in January. The lady at my center said that it sometimes depends on how long it takes to locate the film in the vaults. It also takes longer during holiday periods. Since Easter was in March, that might have something to do with it.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Did you try calling and checking if the film is in? On occasion they may forget to call, or think someone else working there called you.

Debbie
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I spoke to my Family History Center Director about this because I have 6 films from different towns which have yet to come in after more than 2 months. The typical turnaround time is indeed (as stated above) 3-4 weeks. Salt Lake has issued a message to The FHC's that because of it's digitization project (converting their microfilms to Digital Images) there will be noticeable delays in shipments.

This is both a good thing (Digitizing the films to eventually be available online as images) and a bad thing (the delays).

Just thought I would mention this.

Jim
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

the last film i ordered it took 3 and half months to arrive. I never did ask why it took so long.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Microfilm arrive in Trento, Italy after 100 days and it cost € 1 euro each
Riccardo
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

I have a question. I am planning on going to a FHC, and I want to know what I can expect to see on the films. People on the forum have been kind enough to give me some info to take to the FHC so I can get the right films, so once I get them can I get images of birth cert. ect?? And if so do they make copies for you?? Do you view the films at the FHC. Am I renting the films, and keeping them there while I view them?? Sorry so many questions, I dont want to walk in there looking like the rookie I am :D
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ricbru wrote:Microfilm arrive in Trento, Italy after 100 days and it cost € 1 euro each
Riccardo
This will be even slower now Riccardo, the Church has slowed the process even more in the past 3 months because they are digitizing the records.

:cry:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Finally they understood to do something like that in the era of internet!!!
This slow proces give me the choice to give up researching through them.
I research faster when I'm in my hometown in Sicily, in my home archive!!!
I really think that people deserve the right to have the records faster even through a subscription like Ancestry or something like that
I hope this dream will come true soon
bye Riccardo
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Paying 1 euro per roll in Italy is a real bargain. Here I pay $5.75 per roll. What is that, about 4 euros?

To answer Jamie's questions. Yes, they stay at the center and you go there to view them. You can make copies or burn cd's for a small charge depending on the facilities at the center.

I have found the staff to be very helpful, so don't be uncomfortable about asking questions. :)

Happy Hunting! :wink:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Yes, it is cheap, but my local FHC has nothing, just a manual machine where to put the microfilm that you manually roll, not chance at all to make copies or burn cd or anything else, pratically not facilities at all.
And if you want to go you have to make an appointment because nobody is there, and there is a guy who is a very good person but he looks always tired and lazy
Riccardo
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

I guess I've been lucky? Most of mine have arrived within 2 weeks (occasionally one takes a month, but I can focus on others so I don't mind).

Doesn't it also depend on whether other people in other locations have checked out the reels? They're not always at the vault when you order them, I imagine. Even if there are multiple copies.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

warriorrabbit wrote:I guess I've been lucky? Most of mine have arrived within 2 weeks (occasionally one takes a month, but I can focus on others so I don't mind).

Doesn't it also depend on whether other people in other locations have checked out the reels? They're not always at the vault when you order them, I imagine. Even if there are multiple copies.

The delay has only been within the past few months, since around the first of the year. Have you ordered since January of this year? Before that time the films always took 2-3 weeks for me. My Family History Center's Backordered film list contains about 100 films right now. The list is typically less than 10 films.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Had this problem with the last films I ordered but that was last year. First film came in less then 2 weeks...the others, ordered at the same time, took 3+ months. I know there was an error somewhere on their end, but still, once it was noted, it was another 2 months.

One thing about our center, those in Salt Lake requested that unless they had 10 films to order, not to place the order. Sometimes it took a couple of weeks to have 10 films to request. If this is the case everywhere, that is a big delay right there...and it takes longer to fill big orders then small ones.

Don't think this will improve much in the near future.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Essgee wrote:Had this problem with the last films I ordered but that was last year. First film came in less then 2 weeks...the others, ordered at the same time, took 3+ months. I know there was an error somewhere on their end, but still, once it was noted, it was another 2 months.
Same experience here! I ordered 7 Microfilms in February, two came in three weeks later, the rest are backordered. In January I ordered 4 Riveli films, one came in right away, the other three are on back order still!

The word out is that the digitization project (converting the microfilms to digital images for eventual inclusion on the LDS site) is the culprit.

I hope so! It would make the wait all that more bearable.