Zago Surname!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
FernandoZago

Zago Surname!

Post by FernandoZago »

Hello!
I'm looking for some information about my great great grandfather Innocente Zago. He was born in Italy and came to Brazil in 1888 with his mother Luigia, his wife Veronica and his sister Antonia. The main information I'm looking for is the region and city that he is from. I tried to find something searching for the surname Zago at Google without sucess.. Any information about him or my family will be very very helpfull!

Thank you all! ;)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Zago Surname!

Post by wldspirit »

Have you tried the following site?

http://www.altreitalie.org/

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Member Trish has provided some very good research links in the following thread:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... html#34595

Hope this helps!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

As for my knowledge Zago is a Veneto's surname.
There are Zago all around the Veneto and it is difficult to estabilish where your relatives came from without any informations.
If could help, a man which has a coin shop in Aspen, Colorado (Aspenscoins) is a Zago and he told me that his family came from Crespano del Grappa (TV).
FernandoZago

Post by FernandoZago »

Thank you for all the information wlsdpirit and wishyou!

wldspirit, I tried sarching for my surname on the websites you wrote in your post, but unfortunately I got nothing. :(

wishyou, I looked for the regions in Italy where my surname (Zago) appears more frequently and I found exactly what you said: Veneto. But there are some other regions in the north of Italy, near Veneto, that also have a great concentration of the Zago surname..

Don't you guys know if there is any way that I could access the Italian documents of Veneto or any other italian region to check if my great great grandfather is really from one of them?

Thank you for helping! ;)
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Sorry, but documents are not divided by region but by town and there is almost nothing online.
The only way is to see in immigration records in Brazil if they signed where your family came.
FernandoZago

Post by FernandoZago »

Hello!

I just asked for some immigration documents here in Brazil at the Immigrant Memorial. They have some information of my great great grandfather when he arrived here in Brazil. And maybe these documents contain the name of the city that he came from. :D
FernandoZago

Post by FernandoZago »

Hello again! Sorry for the double post, but I got some more information hehe

It seems that my great great grandmother were from Susegana, a city of Treviso, sub-region of Veneto. Her name was Veronica Zottin, and she maried my great great grandfather Innocente Zago. Her parents were Giovanni Zottin and Giustina Zanardo.
Are there any means to use these new information to find more precise ones? Could you guys help me with this?
I'm still searching where I can too.. :D

Thanks again! ;)
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

This link gives you the address to the city hall. I would write to the registrar and request her birth act (integral copy). A request for a birth certificate will only give you her name, day month and year of birth. Integral copy will list her parents, occupations, if they were life long residents there or not etc.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/026/083/index.html

The request must be written in italian. Hope this helps
Elizabeth
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Zottin? Zottini maybe.... A family branch from Colfosco (a hamlet of Susegana)
Yes, in the province of Treviso and nearby Susegana there are a lot of Zago.
Something more?
fredzago

Post by fredzago »

Hello, my name is also Fernando Zago. Interesting that there are many Fernando Zagos. My great great grandparents immigrated to Mexico in 1882. The story that has been told to me is that other Zagos from the same extended family immigrated to Brazil around the same time after floods that hit the Piave river region of Veneto destroyed farms in the area that many Zagos lived in. The town that my family came from is Segusino, Treviso. This is a known fact because many from my family's town in Mexico stayed in contact and Segusino is now a sister city of the city in Mexico - Chipilo, Puebla. Chipilo still has a large ethnic Italian population, most of which can trace their origins to the original families that immigrated to Mexico in the 1880s. I now live in the U.S. but most of my family is still in Mexico. The largest concentrations of Zagos today seem to be in Brazil, Argentina and Italy.
Azago321

Post by Azago321 »

Hell my name is Alex Zago and I also have family memebers in chipilo. I was looking for more info on where they came from in Italy. It sounds like you might know something.