Surname Zulian

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Livie

Surname Zulian

Post by Livie »

I have tried to find info on my name but to no avail, there is a Saint Zulian in Venice and a hotel, my father thought it was a common name, but maybe its not?!

Also why would it end in N and not I or O?

Thanks in advance
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Surname Zulian

Post by liviomoreno »

Most of the Zulian families live in the province of Padova. It should derive from the name Giuliano.
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Livie,

Livio is right...did a web search for Zulian and found this web site and definition for the name:

SurnameDB: Julian

Zulian is at the end of the second line and is the Venetian version. They forgot to close the parentheses. My small Italian dictionary says there is no j, k, w, x or y in the Italian alphabet. Words with those letters are of foreign origin.

There are other web sites with Italian-specific surnames.

Giuliano is the Italian for Julius, as Livio says; he helped me with a difficult translation written on a passport.

This area was part of Austrian Empire and French as well as others.
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
Livie

Post by Livie »

yes padova sounds right! I know dad said we were the poor side lol and my nanna is a bellon who was not as poor, I think we the Zulians were animal traders!
Thanks guys I appreciate it!
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Animal traders?
North of the province of Padova (Cittadella, Tombolo, San Giorgio delle Pertiche, San Martino di LUpari....)
Livie

Post by Livie »

San Martino i think. you know back in the day if you wanted someone to find you a cow or a pig then he would go and find you one, an animal trader or a stock agent!