Thank you! Thank you!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you! Thank you!

Post by bonval »

I just had to give a slight cheer! I have been working on my husband's tree -- and with everyone still in Italy, it has been insane trying to find anyone past the living! But I have made tremendous progress this past year -- and want to say much is because of the wonderful hints I have gotten along the way here! I may not be an active poster - but I read everything whether or not it appears to directly relate to our family because it all is so helpful! I have finally got my web page on Ancestry up and running so feel free to visit it - there are over 178 surnames on the one tree alone from Itri and Campodimele! There is also a story attached to the Home persons you might enjoy reading!
I am still working on the Pannozzo line from Campodimele - and think that just yesterday I may finally have made a find of a Luigi Pannozzo who was probably the great grandfather in Campodimele we have been looking for! :D
BJ
http://trees.ancestry.com
DiCrocco Main File 1
vj
Master
Master

Re: Thank you! Thank you!

Post by vj »

Bonnie,
Congratulations on all of the progress you've made on your tree!
http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.asp ... 1427558945
Thank you for sharing :D .
Valarie
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Contrats on the progress and on your tree. I have found one thing about ancestry, many of the databases can only be viewed or accessed by members so you may want to also post your tree on:

http://labs.familysearch.org/em/Main.html

Its a free site and I see it as the "next up and coming"! Good luck and keep us posted.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

Another great tip - thanks! I am amazed how posting online has helped the tree grow those little twig style branches that suddenly explode into huge branches -- so far we discovered a group of third cousins that had been out of touch with family for many years -- and are happy to be back in touch as they were also searching for us! And We found family in the Orient we did not know - or should I say, they found us - and they are also connected to these third cousins but did not know about us! Lastly Val had always heard his family at some point many generations ago came from France but no one knew if that was rumor or not. Well we found another branch of family who live now in France - we have not proved the link but we are sure where it is(who) but need to document it. One trick I have learned now is to keep track of my research - document even where and when you search a fact so later you can find that information again if it does pay off as a link! For example - those third cousins - I was pretty sure they related but couldn't see how. I saved information and sure enough two years later they connected correctly. Especially with certain names such as DiCrocco, we know ultimately they will fit in so I save copies of the pedigrees and have all the sources noted. Sooner or later they mesh together! That is sort of borrowing on the one name search technique and it works.
My biggest mistake in the beginning? Thinking this was for fun only and source were not important. What a mistake! Now I have had to go back (and am still finding lapses) and add sources. I also have learned to organize myself. I bought all archival plastic sheet protectors and folders and printer paper - not a big expense either. And I tab sections iwth the surnames and make notes to where those may cross reference to other surnames and branches. That helps to have hard copies to make notes in addition to my computer files! And save CD backups somewhere other than just at your own home! We here in Florida went through hurricanes - fortunately I had backups tucked away -- and this past week wildfires destroyed hundreds of homes here where I live. Those folks had five minutes to get out in places when the winds shifted - who saves what in a rush? That taught me another lesson - most of those families have been on TV mourning the loss of nfamily photos. So now we have spent time this week scanning and saving photos with names to CDs!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Bonnie,

Would bring up some excellent points.. Sourcing is definitely a must when researching as is keeping logs and research notes. When I first started this I went chart crazy..I printed off almost every chart I could find hoping one would work for me. Some were excellent but there were other things I was looking for that were missing so I finally created a few of my own..here's one that I made that suited my needs..

http://www.gentedimareitaliangenealogy. ... pChart.pdf

Another place you shouldn't over look..and ok I have to include it is

http://www.facebook.com

You would be surprised at the contacts I and a few of my friends have made through that site! You you haven't got an account then consider it.

And of course, I also back everything up. I created a gmail account and email back ups of my files to myself so I can access them from any PC I want whenever I want. This came in handy when my old PC died on me a few months ago. Pictures and such can also be saved to Piscasa or flicker so that is another option to consider.

Hope some of these tips help and thanks for sharing some of your organizational tips with us. I would love to hear more.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database