Frank Joseph Julian

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Frank Joseph Julian

Post by jjulian14712 »

Our family has been trying to solve the mystery of my grandfather's ancestry, but he left contradictory information. What we do know is that Frank Joseph Julian was born in about 1895, came from Italy in 1909 on the Verona and lived in Pomfret, Sheridan, and Dunkirk, NY until his death in 1969. He also served in WWI, and was stationed in France. In his records, he claimed to have been born in Rome, but we can't find any confirmation of that, since his name was probably altered. In fact, we're not even able to find him on the Ellis Island site. Any help that anyone could give us would be greatly appreciated--we're starting to think that we'll never get to the bottom of it!

Thank you,

Jeff Julian
vj
Master
Master

Re: Frank Joseph Julian

Post by vj »

Hi Jeff!
Just for everyone's reference, your previous post.
Thanks! Valarie

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =6953.html
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Possible 1909 manifest - line 16. The year of birth is close and Oncoro is not far from Rome.
page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016

page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Jeff,

I agree with Elizabeth about the arrival manifest of Francesco, but possibly the town of birth was Onano (lazio Region, same as Rome)
If you check the Ellis Island site for the town of Onano you can see a few Giuliano/Guliano(mispelled) coming from there, and all these people declared Onano, Roma as birth place or residence, that's why your ancestor said Rome....
However Onano in actually under the Viterbo Province, Lazio Region.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onano

Laura :D
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hey Laura you are absolutely correct. If you look at the place of birth on this manifest it definately says Onano when the records were transcribed for the ellis island site the town name was definately mispelled. It should be Onano!!!

Great job Laura!!!

You can use a form letter from this site to request his birth act
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Here is the address to send the letter to

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di onano
01010 ONANO
ITALY

or here is a link for Onano and you might try sending an email to see what is required to obtain his birth record. They may send via email to you or you may have to write the letter with a copy of identification etc.

The email should be in italian so you might want to type up an email in english and then put it on the translation board and ask someone to translate to italian for you, then send.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/056/040/index.html

Hope this helps
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

I appreciate the time you've taken to help me.

Everything about the Onano possibilty seems to fit except for one important detail: My grandfather claimed to have sailed on the Verona to America on April 1, 1909, but the person listed from Onano sailed on December 6, 1909. Is there a possible explanation for this?

Thanks for your help!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Jeff,

Per the manifest I posted the ship is correct, it's the Verona and yes the day and month don't match. I'm not sure why. Was the information about April 1 just verbal from your grandfather or do you have naturalization papers stating that actual date? I noticed on your other thread the petition states on or about April 1st so I think this is still a possibility.

It might not hurt to just compose the email and send it to the email address provided. List his name in Italian and his parents names, approximate year of birth. If nothing else it might rule this person out as a possibility.

Hope this helps.
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Elizabeth,

The month and day were reported by my grandfather on his Declaration of Intent. I'd like to believe there could be a reason for him to be that far off on the date, because it would allow us to point squarely at the entry you found as being the right one.

Thanks again for your help!

Jeff Julian
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

I noticed that Francesco Guiliano appears to have been deported at one point. Could that be a reason for some of the misinformation I've found?
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Could someone please tell me if Frank Gulian or Julian is anywhere to be found in the 1920 census? He should be located in Sheridan, NY at that time.

Once again, I appreciate your help.

Jeff Julian
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jjulian14712 wrote:Could someone please tell me if Frank Gulian or Julian is anywhere to be found in the 1920 census? He should be located in Sheridan, NY at that time.

Once again, I appreciate your help.

Jeff Julian
In 1920 census of Sheridan, Chautauqua, New York nobody Frank Julian, Gulian, Giuliano, Giuliani, Giugliano and other similars spell... Flora Stilson was living with Milo Stilson brother; in the Sheridan district 186; I made the manual search for in all district and also in the 187, where it are many italians, but I no found your ancestor .... :cry: suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Suanj,

Thank you very much for looking.

My grandfather married Flora in 1921, and I wonder if he took over her farm in Sheridan at that point. Where was he between March 11, 1919, when he returned from the war, and 1921, when he married Flora?

For that matter, if we can find a record of him in 1910, it might shed some light on where he came from in Italy. The entry for the barge canal worker Frangesco Guliano in Phoenix, NY is a very strong possibility, but I have no idea where to go from there.

My main goal is to trace my grandfather back to Italy to find our Italian family members, but nothing I've tried has worked so far.

To all of you--thanks again for your help.

Jeff Julian