"Contrada" in addresses - Agnone, IS

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

"Contrada" in addresses - Agnone, IS

Post by BethW »

In my searches I've come across a number of current street addresses in Agnone, IS, containing the word "Contrada." However, whenever I try to map those addresses they come back as "unobtainable."

I'm trying to narrow my search area and would like to know where some of these addresses are located in relation to my ancestors' home parishes. Is there anyone out there who can help me figure out how to locate any of the following roads in Agnone?

Contrada Montagna
Contrada San Quirico
Contrada Rigaini
Contrada Fontesambuco
Contrada San Onofrio

Thanks,
Beth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: "Contrada" in addresses - Agnone, IS

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Beth,

Contrada means "district" so I don't believe it's an actual street address. So it would be :

District of Montagna
District of San Quirico

etc.

Don't know if this helps or not.
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BethW »

I thought about that too. However - and I forgot to mention this in the original post - the addresses are given with a street number in exactly the same format as any other street address. For example "Contrada Montagna, 63" and "Via Cavour, 6". I can map the Via Cavour address but not the Contrada Montagna address.

I also thought about the possibility that the Pagine Bianche site isn't equipped to deal with Contrada addresses and so puts them into a default format. However, in searching around I have found a couple of business listings elsewhere who give their addresses in the "Contrada Montagna, #" form.

Thanks,
Beth
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

In my area CONTRADA is usually a road and the word following designates the group of houses or section of the road that identifies the house. Contrada seems to have been used more outside the town and when the houses were not numbered.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.