centanni family salerno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pizzaiolo1977

centanni family salerno

Post by pizzaiolo1977 »

hello my name is antonio cientanni, but my original family name is CENTANNI. i am trying to trace my origins back to italy, my father and his brohers emigrated to england in the early 1950s, my grandfather lived in ponte fratte,salerno, his name was giustino centanni, his father was felice centanni and his father was gioacchino centanni, i know he had a brother but i am trying to find out what his parents were called and also if we are connected to the centanni,s from alia, sicily. any info or means of researching this would be appreaciated.
saluti
antonio
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: centanni family salerno

Post by nuccia »

pizzaiolo1977 wrote:hello my name is antonio cientanni, but my original family name is CENTANNI. i am trying to trace my origins back to italy, my father and his brohers emigrated to england in the early 1950s, my grandfather lived in ponte fratte,salerno, his name was giustino centanni, his father was felice centanni and his father was gioacchino centanni, i know he had a brother but i am trying to find out what his parents were called and also if we are connected to the centanni,s from alia, sicily. any info or means of researching this would be appreaciated.
saluti
antonio
You have the names, but do you have the birth years for your ancestors? What documents do you already have? You will need to work backwards. By getting a copy of marriage and death certificates it will help you trace birth years and places of birth as well as spouses information.

To write to Salerno:

Comune di Salerno Palazzo di Città
Via Roma
84100 Salerno
Italia

Not sure if there are any films available for Salerno from the lds. Perhaps someone else can help with this?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
pizzaiolo1977

Post by pizzaiolo1977 »

the only document i have is death certifacate of my father, carmine. also i know my grandfather died in 1976. in salerno italy, the rest of the info i have i got from living relatives in australia and venezuela but they do not now any of these things. i tried writing to salerno but did not get an answer.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

When did you write to Salerno? The thing about doing it this way is that you will have to take it one step at a time, one person at a time. Collect all the documents on you dad first that you can find. Birth, marriage, death.

Is this your father's death record? 25 Springfield Ave?

Name: Carmine Cientanni
Birth Date: 1 Jan 1929 (2 Jan 1929)
Death Registration Month/Year: Oct 1984
Age at death (estimated): 55
Registration district: Bedford
Inferred County: Bedfordshire
Volume: 9
Page: 110

The one thing about about family passed information is that while it does hold a lot of truth, there are often pieces of "info" missed. This is why its so important to get all the documents...they will provide more specific details that may give you clues.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
pizzaiolo1977

Post by pizzaiolo1977 »

ciao this is correct i have my dads death certicate in england. same as what you wrote. i also have a birth certificate from italy were it is stated that his DOB is 2nd january 1929. my mother has a marriage certicate., but they were married in england. 17th dec 1955. i have written to salerno twice in the last few years but had no reply at all. also in italy on my fathers birth certicate the name is Centanni. without the i. a mistake at on birth registration document. all his family is Centanni, but when my grandmother was alive she showed me my grandfathers passport were his name was Cientanni and on his military documents it was Centanni so there is a lot of confiusion caused by this.
i have no other documents as both my grand parents in italy are deceased. i am trying to find out my geanology before my grandfather Giustino Centanni i know he died in the late seventies, he is burried at Fratte cemetry in salerno, he was one of 6 siblings, Giovanni, eldest died in first world war, Gioacchino emigratted to Venezuela and then returned to italy, then Alessandro , Giuseppe and Rita. all lived in a town called Ogliara (salerno) i have made contact with family in Venezuela and some in milano italy .but they all now as much as me, that my granfathers. grandparent was Giaocchino and he had a brother called alessandro born circa 1835-40.
thanks for your reply, it is appreciated.
any further info welcome
saluti
toni
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Toni!

I just checked the Italian Phone listings and the Centanni surname appears in Salerno but not Cientanni so my guess is that the first one may be the correct spelling.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... o&ind=&nc=

I would love to see a copy of some of the documents u already have. Do you feel comfortable posting them? If you need any help, PM me and we can exchange emails. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
pizzaiolo1977

Post by pizzaiolo1977 »

hello again, our original family name is Centanni but there are other Cientanni's as well, so i suspect that the problem of the name at birth registration happens alot. my grandmother explained to me that when my father was born the midwife registered the birth, that was the usual practise. cientanni is the neapolitan dialect way of saying Centanni, and in salerno we speak napolitano. the copy of the italian birth certificate of my father carmine has had an i added to the surname i do not know buy who, if you would like to see it i can photo copy it and send it to you. or i can take a foto and send it by email. my mother has a sister in toronto. my mother is from Minturno, and her maiden name is Mignano.
saluti
toni
ale123321

Post by ale123321 »

Hello!
I write from Ogliara, Salerno.
I'm Gioacchino Centanni's sister. My brother lives in Milan.
I'm Alessandro Centanni's daughter. We have I think a lot of relatives in common. As Lucia, Felice and Alessandro Centanni!
Write to me for any question you need!
Anna