All problems with the server speed should be fixed now

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

All problems with the server speed should be fixed now

Post by Edmondo »

ItalianGenealogy.com has switched to a new and much faster server. Also the connection to the internet backbone is much faster.

The download speed should be no issue anymore.

Edmondo
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: All problems with the server speed should be fixed now

Post by BillieDeKid »

This is great Edmondo, well worth the wait!
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

[align=center]Image[/align]
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

:wink:
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The little hamster's feet are now but a blur!

Thanks for all you do.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Edmondo for fixing this and for keeping us updated..Got the emails and was pleased to follow the progress of the switch over!

Hugs!!!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by whymse »

Just for curiousity, can you tell us what it was running on, and what it is running on now from a server and connection perspective?
Thanks for all the hard work, this site is an incredible resource.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

You got emails? I was sitting here wondering if the site had finally died for good. I kept checking back and back and back...
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

The site moved from a server with a 1 core Celeron CPU with 512MB RAM to a 4 core Intel C2Q Q9300 CPU with 2048MB RAM.
With this I solved the high server load causing the server to slow down and finaly hang and do nothing anymore.

The server is now connected using the GNAX network which has 4 1GB pipes to the Internet Backbone.
With this I increased the download speed.
whymse wrote:Just for curiousity, can you tell us what it was running on, and what it is running on now from a server and connection perspective?
Thanks for all the hard work, this site is an incredible resource.
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Sorry, only the mods got an e-mail but I will think of the idea to use an e-mail list for members who want to receive notifications send by ItalianGenealogy.com.

It was never the plan to close the site during the migration to the new server but it took so much server load I decided to keep the site closed after the server hang again.
warriorrabbit wrote:You got emails? I was sitting here wondering if the site had finally died for good. I kept checking back and back and back...
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Thought I'd come to the wrong site when it opened up so quickly :lol: . I was about to make a cup of tea while I waited.... but 'lo and behold' the all new Italian Genealogy is up and running.

I wasn't too worried when it was 'down', as it did say that it was for MAINTENANCE - and they even managed to slip in a couple of ads on that page too.... :roll:

Thankyou for the upgrade Edmondo - it really was time, and I'm sure I found it as frustrating as others when lack of access meant being unable to answer members questions or post/complete their translations.

But hey! that's all a thing of the past now isn't it...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Thanks Edmondo,

This seems like a wonderful improvement.

Debbie
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

elba wrote: I wasn't too worried when it was 'down', as it did say that it was for MAINTENANCE - and they even managed to slip in a couple of ads on that page too.... :roll:
Well, as I wasn't in the loop, I kept checking back several times. After the first couple of 'connection' errors, typical of the past month, the whole thing went down and there was a frightening, white-page-that-usually-means-the-site-is-toast domain/404-type error. It wasn't until much later that the 'urgent maintenance' notice went up. (Like I said, I was checking frequently.) Even then I thought the whole thing had imploded, as it sounded pretty dire, and wondered if all the info would be able to be saved, or if we would be starting over with an empty forum... Then eventually there was a message about a server change...

This site is so helpful. I often use the search tool to see what's been said before, too, so thinking that all of that great info had been lost... Thankfully that wasn't the case, but I wonder how many others hit that white page and feared the same thing.

If there'd been a brief notice (in advance) about the server change, it would have been great. Certainly would have eased my mind!

At any rate, now it's speedy and wonderful. Thanks!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Warriorrabbit

The following notice was posted on Jul 1 at 12:36pm by Edmondo so I myself expected problems to arise, maybe you missed it ............
Problems do never come alone and I had to fix them one by one.

I had minimum internet access the last few weeks. It started in May when a very big part of the Netherlands had no access to internet for a few days.
After this was fixed I was one of the 'lucky' few who's connection problem could not be fixed until last Saturday.

Another problem was a software bug which I was only able to fix after my internet connection was fixed. This bug has been fixed yesterday.

A known problem was the hardware which has not enough power to handle the growing amount of visitors. This will be solved between now and about 10 days when the server will be replaced by a brand new server with also a faster connection to the Internet.

Currently I expect the site to run better than it did the last few days but at the end of next week it will download faster than it ever did.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

No, I did not see that. I wonder how many others didn't?

I really don't find much reason to visit the OT section. I am sure I am not the only one. Although I did post there on the 8th to say that I wasn't experiencing the speed everyone else was raving about. (I followed a post from the 'last 10 messages' scroll.)

I do, however, occasionally look at the one above it, the one labeled Announcements (site related announcements), to see if there's something I should know about. Especially since the site started freaking out. But it hasn't been touched since 2006.

If I missed a post announcing the server change, that's a fair criticism. But to be equally fair, that announcement wasn't in the most logical place. The one labeled Site Announcements.

I am not trying to be an *censored*, harping on a point. All I have been trying to say is that some communication (with everyone, not just the OT readers) would be very much appreciated. Edmondo acknowledged that as a good idea.

The topic area of "site related announcements" seems to have been created for just such a purpose. It would have been an ideal place to announce a server change and the fact that the site would be down. Not buried in an OT thread.

It's too late now, but if that topic area could be put to use in the future...then my persistent carping will have effected a necessary and useful change.

That's it, that's the last I'm going to say about this. It is a dead horse.

The important thing is that now it works! And it works well. Thank you.

Edmondo, your efforts are greatly appreciated.