Castiello from Benevento

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
KCastiello

Castiello from Benevento

Post by KCastiello »

Hi all ... I'm going out on a limb here because I don't have much to go on. My husband's grandfather, Carmine Castiello, arrived in the US in 1907 at the age of 17. We're told that his parents were Cosimo and Louisa Castiello and that he had a brother (Cosimo?) who owned vineyards and quite a bit of land in Benevento ... he also had a sister (Maria?) who we believe became a nun. I did find a Cosimo Castiello in the Ellis Island records arriving in 1907 at the age of 45. We were unaware that Carmine's father ever came to this country (perhaps looking for his son?). My question is this ... how do I find ANY more information about this family? Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Kristen
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Castiello from Benevento

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
first of all try to find his right date and place of birth, marriage and death. (if died in U.S. in his death certificate you find many infos)
After that you can see if he never naturalized, there you find the date and place of birth, the port of departure and arrival, name of ship.
So you can have a contact with the comune (municipality)

www.comuni.it

were he was born, so you can request his birth act, and also a "family certificate"

Here there is a Cosimo Castiello, (maybe his brother) 18 years old on 1905

Cosimo Castiello Occupation Laborer
Age 18
Sex M
Literacy N
Arrived 2 Mar 1905
Origin Italy
Port Genoa, Naples & Palermo
Last Residence Benevento
Destination New York
Plan Unknown
Ship Koenigin Albert
Passage Unknown

You can also contac NARA and ask for a NARA 81 form, fill it up and they'll look for your Carmine Castiello for the fee of $ 17.50

http://www.archives.gov/

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:
KCastiello

Post by KCastiello »

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately I know nothing about Cosimo Castiello ... his son, Carmine, was my husband's grandfather. He arrived in the US when he was 17 in 1907 and evaded the 1910 & 1920 US census. Carmine and Julia Spinelli Castiello (Costello) had 2 sons Louis and Leonard Costello. Uncle Lou is 82 and very forgetful and my father-in-law, Leonard, is 79 and had taken many strokes and is unable to communicate. In the past we had asked about their parents but they never really knew too much. I guess now I just need to try to figure out how to contact Benevento to see if I can get a 'family certificate' for the Castiello's. Wish me luck! :) And thanks again! Kristen
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

KCastiello wrote:Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately I know nothing about Cosimo Castiello ... his son, Carmine, was my husband's grandfather. He arrived in the US when he was 17 in 1907 and evaded the 1910 & 1920 US census. Carmine and Julia Spinelli Castiello (Costello) had 2 sons Louis and Leonard Costello. Uncle Lou is 82 and very forgetful and my father-in-law, Leonard, is 79 and had taken many strokes and is unable to communicate. In the past we had asked about their parents but they never really knew too much. I guess now I just need to try to figure out how to contact Benevento to see if I can get a 'family certificate' for the Castiello's. Wish me luck! :) And thanks again! Kristen
Hi Kristen,

By any chance is this your Carmine (Carmen) & Julia in the 1930 Census with their sons, Louis and Leonard? I know one of my friends will post the census for you. (thank you for posting the census :) )

Name: Leonard Costello
Estimated birth year: abt 1926
Relation to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Carmen Costello
Mother's Name: Julia Costello
Home in 1930: West Pittston, Luzerne, Pennsylvania
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: West Pittston, Luzerne, Pennsylvania; Roll: 2072; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 217; Image: 445.0

Now per this census, Carmine came into the USA about 1909 and was already Naturalized by 1930. You can write to Luzerne County, PA for his Naturalization Records.

Also per this census, the couple were married about 1923 and Julia came about 1913.

Here is the information on Carmine from the WWI Draft Cards. Per the Draft Card is stated Carmine was from Benevenuto.

Name: Carmine Castiello
City: Not Stated
County: Luzerne
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 14 May 1890
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1893747
DraftBoard: 2

Do you have the Death Certificate of Carmine? It could verify the exact names of his parents?

Do you have the Marriage Application of Carmine? It too could verify his parents and if lucky, state where he is from in Italy.

Also, I would write for the Naturalization Records from Luzerne County.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

brujaojos wrote:
KCastiello wrote:Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately I know nothing about Cosimo Castiello ... his son, Carmine, was my husband's grandfather. He arrived in the US when he was 17 in 1907 and evaded the 1910 & 1920 US census. Carmine and Julia Spinelli Castiello (Costello) had 2 sons Louis and Leonard Costello. Uncle Lou is 82 and very forgetful and my father-in-law, Leonard, is 79 and had taken many strokes and is unable to communicate. In the past we had asked about their parents but they never really knew too much. I guess now I just need to try to figure out how to contact Benevento to see if I can get a 'family certificate' for the Castiello's. Wish me luck! :) And thanks again! Kristen
Hi Kristen,

By any chance is this your Carmine (Carmen) & Julia in the 1930 Census with their sons, Louis and Leonard? I know one of my friends will post the census for you. (thank you for posting the census :) )
-----------------------------------
http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/1078/19308of.jpg
Name: Leonard Costello
Estimated birth year: abt 1926
Relation to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Carmen Costello
Mother's Name: Julia Costello
Home in 1930: West Pittston, Luzerne, Pennsylvania
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: West Pittston, Luzerne, Pennsylvania; Roll: 2072; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 217; Image: 445.0

Now per this census, Carmine came into the USA about 1909 and was already Naturalized by 1930. You can write to Luzerne County, PA for his Naturalization Records.

Also per this census, the couple were married about 1923 and Julia came about 1913.
-------------------------------------------------
Here is the information on Carmine from the WWI Draft Cards. Per the Draft Card is stated Carmine was from Benevenuto.
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9449/draft16vl.jpg
Name: Carmine Castiello
City: Not Stated
County: Luzerne
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 14 May 1890
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1893747
DraftBoard: 2

Do you have the Death Certificate of Carmine? It could verify the exact names of his parents?

Do you have the Marriage Application of Carmine? It too could verify his parents and if lucky, state where he is from in Italy.

Also, I would write for the Naturalization Records from Luzerne County.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Hi Trish and KCastiello, files now linked for viewing.
mfjp :P
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Is this the manifest you are talking about?
-----------------------------------------------------

First Name: Carmine
Last Name: Castiello
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Apia, Benevento
Date of Arrival: Sep 21, 1907
Age at Arrival:  17y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Cretic
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0009

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0354%2ETIF

Please note that the mother's name is listed in section 11 - listed as Ambrosio Cristi??? need to zoom in further...

Town of Apice
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/062/003/

mfjp

D'Ambrosio is also a surname found within the town...
KCastiello

Post by KCastiello »

You are all so wonderful ... thank you for the information!!! I do have an Ancestry.com subscription, therefore I was able to find the census and WWI draft card images ... but I never realized on the Ellis Island manifest that if I simply clicked for the "previous" page I would've seen this new page you've sent. THANK YOU, THANK YOU ... this is all new to me. We're totally unaware of anyone by the name Ambrosio Cristo__i ... but we have verified that he did live with Manganiello's when he arrived. Perhaps I can get my husband to call his uncle Lou and mention this new name to him ... maybe it'll spark something? Having a town name, Apice, is a GREAT help, too! Again ... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :) :) :)
KCastiello

Post by KCastiello »

Hi All,
I just had to share my excitement with someone. Just last night my husband and I were going through some old things and came across copies of Carmine & Julia's marriage certificate, naturalization papers and memory books from their funerals. Lo and behold, in Carmine's book his parents are listed as Luigia and Cristina Ambrosino Castiello; his siblings were Cosimo, Louisa and Alessandria Castiello ... they were from Benevento. I also found out a little while ago that my father-in-law's godmother was Mafalda Salvatini (godfather was Mario Salvatini). Mafalda was a famous opera singer around the 1920's. So now I have a birth date, marriage date and death date. Is there anyone out there that might be related to these people? Thanks, Kristen
KCastiello

Post by KCastiello »

Hello again,
I'm looking for "Danilo" who contacted me through e-mail. I have replied but haven't heard a response from you. Did you receive my reply?
Kind regards,
Kristen