Help me with my surnames....

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Krypos

Help me with my surnames....

Post by Krypos »

Krypos

Re: Help me with my surnames....

Post by Krypos »

Krypos

Post by Krypos »

:roll:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

We have a paradox!! Sortino is listed in the Italian surname dictionary as an Italian surname while Lavenia is not listed at all BUT In prersent day Italy there are 31 cities, towns and villages thru out Sicily and Italy that boast of people surnamed Lavenia but not one boasts of any people in all of Italy with the surname Sortino. Lavenia is clustered heavily in Sicily in the Catania province. Go to www.gens.labo.net and have fun putting in the surnames.

Next the italian surname dictionary defines Sortino as being an alteration of SCIORTA which is the base surname along with Sciortino whose roots are arabic Surta o Surti ="guardia di Citta"=Policeman

I checked the Jewish italian surname listing of10,000 Italian Jewish families with 1,650 surnames and none of the two are listed in the pre and post ww11 period. There is a website www.italian-family-history.com/jewish/genealogy.html that may be of intyerest to you as well

If you wish to know how many Lavenia and Sortino immigrated from Italy to Argentina please let me know. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscript: There are 76 surnames LAVENIA and 736 surnames SORTINO listed in the Sicily telephone directory. Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in the surname of choice (one at a time..yes they do with two and three at a time). Under that put in Sicilia and clcik CERCA for the listing by full name address and telephone number.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Sorry but the paradox lies within my computer since the listing came up negative for Sortino but on refreshing the website it came thru with 243 cities, towns and villages with persons having the Sortino surname. I apologize. =Peter=
Krypos

Post by Krypos »

Thanks you! You're very helpful! How could I know how many people immigrated from Italy to Argentina with these surnames?....

I don't know, but it's very weird, I think I'm the only Jew with these surnames in Argentina, and maybe in Italy.... :roll: I think my great grandparents were "marrani" or "marranos" in Spanish.

Thank you ;)....
Krypos

Post by Krypos »

I know my family came from REGALBUTO.... Do you know about jew population in that city?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

what names are you interested in knowing about in Regalbuto,94017, Enna province Sicily.?=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

76 Sortino immigrated to Argentina from the 1890 to 1924 and one Sortino Crucitti and 1 Sortino Scollo. =Peter=
Krypos

Post by Krypos »

PeterTimber wrote:what names are you interested in knowing about in Regalbuto,94017, Enna province Sicily.?=Peter=
I know actually Regalbuto's population is about 7000 inhabitants, but I couldn't
find people living there with Lavenia or Sortino surname.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Then there may not be any residing in Regalbuto? =Peter=