Bezzano surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cornetto

Bezzano surname

Post by cornetto »

I can trace my wife's ancestors from 1798 to present date. The surname is Bezzano and the history is that a John Bezzano came to Ireland from Liverpool in 1798, possibly with a Captain Roden. He or his father came from outside Rome, which means any other part of Italy. He had six children, all born in Ireland - Margaret, Ellen, George, Mary, James, Anne and Rose. Decendants are now in Ireland, England and the U.S. (Connecticut, Utah and Idaho). My father in law James Casserly is a direct decendant of James Bezzano born 1845, Ireland, died 1932.

We would dearly love to find out more about the Italian ancestors pre 1798 and am seeking information that would assist me in this. I am aware that there is a town called Bazzano (with an "A") not far from Bologna, Emilia Romagna and I wonder could there be a connection?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thomas Murray
Dublin
Ireland
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Bezzano surname

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Tom For starters the surname appears to have been Bazzano and Bezzano being a name change that took plac e somewhere inthemists of time. There is no Bezzano anhywhere in Italy at this present time. If you go to www.gens.labo.net and put in Bazzano you wuill see three clusters of the Bazzano name imposed on a map of Italy indicating that there are 218 cities,towns, and villages have residents withthe Bezzano surname. What is interesting is that the largeest cluster is in the Piemonte region of NW Italy with sizeable clusters in and about Rome and similarly in Sicily. The region around Rome is the area to concentrate since family oral tradition like family names have great validity for me at any rate.

Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Bezzano in the upper left and beneath that put in LAZIO which is the Rome region with 5 provinces. Seek out those Bezzanos with familiar first names as they tend to stay in families for generations upon generations and from town to town as well.

Follow this with the english website www findmypast.com It is a paying websiter but you can do name checks without charge and also go to www.worldvital records.com for just BEZZANO and nothing else.

Try this for starters and let me know what you come up with that we can pursue. Do not be concerned about not knowing the italian language since there are form letters for potential relatives and for documents and english is second language in Italy schools.

=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

One further point. Go to www.familysearch.org and under ancestor search put in Bazzano and see the surname distribution and possible name change. Also go to www.google.com and put in title. Bazzano surname genealogy Italy and play around with the title putting in Bezzano and Italy/Ireland separate from the above and with each variation in the title you can come up with different websites. =Peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In Lazio tegion exist: Bazzano, Bozzano, Pezzano surnames...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
glahoud

Post by glahoud »

Hi my name is Giovanna and
Im trying to find history on the name Colaiacolo
all I get is similar but not the same ,
what is the best way to go about to get the right connection to the surnane
Your help will be appreciated
Thanking you
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In the Dictionary of Italian surnames Colaiacono is found in Lazio and campania region spread over a dozen cities,towns or villages while Colaiacolo is found in only 4 towns in Campania region and closeby to Napoli/ However, the official dictionary version is COLAIACONO which is an alteration of the base name Cola. Go to www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi

=Peter=