Isaia Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carloisaia

Isaia Surname

Post by carloisaia »

Hello, I have been led to believe that the Isaia surname is very rare. This has intrigued me to find out a little infomation about my family heritage.

The surname obviously comes from my dads side (Francesco Isaia) who was born in Catania, Sicilia on December 18, 1952. He moved across to England in his early 20's and is still alive and kicking.

All I know from here are the details of my dads dad (Salvatore Isaia) who was also born in Catania, Sicilia on December 9, 1915 and died 17 July, 1985 in Catania, Sicilia.

Salvatore had 1 brother (Antonino Isaia) and 1 sister (Natale Isaia).

This is really all i know.

It would be great if you could supply me with any addtional information and perhaps direct me to the location of where I can find some more information.

Many Thanks

Carlo Isaia :)
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Isaia Surname

Post by misbris »

Hi Carlo and welcome to the forum,

This site will show you that the name is not really so rare in Italy.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

This site will show you the distribution of the name in Sicily and other parts of Italy.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Isaia is a surname that is NOT italian and does not appear in the Italian surname dictionary. The surname is imported from abroad and appears to be a variant of a Scandinavian surname and extends as variant thruout europe the Americas and even the South Pacific. The earliest date recorded so far is in the 1600's somewhere in Sweden. Personally I suspect its religious roots has a hand in its distribution. =Peter=
carloisaia

Post by carloisaia »

Hello,

Thank you for your kind replys, very interesting stuff!!

Amy idea on where i could find imformation regarding my Grandfathers siblings and their families?
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

PeterTimber wrote:Isaia is a surname that is NOT italian ...
Are you sure? http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 0009il.htm
If really its origin isn't italian (but only a specific genealogical research could solve the question) it could be iberian.

Luca
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Luca the origin of the name starts inScandinavia and works its way down to Italy& Sicily fromnorthern europe and then across the ocean to North and South America, The pacific Islands of Samoa, South Africa etc but nothing even hints at Spain and even the names in South America are italian in origin. =Peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

seeming that Isaia is a jewish surname:
http://www.jewishroots.it/Zudei_siciliani.shtml
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Please explain to me what makes a surname "Italian"? If a name is in existence in Italy for hundreds, even a 1000 years, it is older than the modern Italian language and modern Italy itself. Considering all of the dialects in the country and additions to the Italian language through foreign influences, who has decided what is an "official Italian surname."? I only ask this because my surname is very rare, yet the ending "scione" appears in many surnames. (Ascione, Briscione, Corcione, etc.) Why is is not Italian? :( :? :roll:
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

misbris wrote:...who has decided what is an "official Italian surname."?
Peter, for example.

L.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Because some standards are more valid than others. In the case of word dictionaries which are universal and acknowledged for their same meaning to most, if not all readers, that standard is accepted including its spelling.

In the surname dictionaries the surnames are based upon"italian" historical and popular basic surnames which have undergone variations, alterations, derivations and mispellings from epoch to epoch. Other surnames are imported from abroad, imposed from without, adapted in full or part to Italian phonetics and spelling and from social emphasis of the day ( a prime example is the rise of Christianity and the cults of Saints names obliterating or altering Roman/Greek religous surnames).

I hope this answers your question. I tried to be as succinct as possible and still convey a porper response toyou rinquiry. If not get back to me and I will give it anotehr try. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscript my surname has undergone 6 changes since 1100AD ending in IBUS, to more ending changes from IS, to I to E with additon of I along with changes from Z to C. =Peter=
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

suanj wrote:seeming that Isaia is a jewish surname:
http://www.jewishroots.it/Zudei_siciliani.shtml
regards, suanj
Suanj is quite right - it is of Hebrew origin...

The boy's name Isaiah \i-saiah\ is pronounced eye-ZY-ah. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "salvation of God; the Lord helps me". Biblical: one of the major prophets and writer of the Book of Isaiah. Isais is a Latin form. Basketball player Isiah Thomas.

Isaiah has 8 variant forms: Isa, Isaia, Isais, Isia, Isiah, Issiah, Izaiah and Iziah.

For more information, see also the related name Esias.

Baby names that sound like Isaiah are Asaya, Joziah, Uziah and Uzziah.

Isaiah is a common male first name and a common surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census).
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elba I alluded to the reglious nature of the name but I did not think that the research had to go back that far!! =Peter=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Sorry Peter,

That doesn't answer my question at all. The Italian language as we know it today did not exist when some of thse families lived in what is now Italy. Also, Italian, as a living language, changes as new words enter. I don't think it appropriate to tell someone who is searching for his or her Italian heritage that a name is "not Italian" because it doesn't appear in some dictionary.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I think it is since the Italian Surname dictionary makes a distinction between Italian surnames, foreign surnames and local dialect surnames with all their variations, alterations and derivations. The base names from which all these surname are derived is also included and date back to Italy Roman times and in Latin as well. I have a dictionary on my side and when it says the name is derived from French, German, Greek, Hebrew or Arabic then it is a aforeign surname and not of Italian origin. =Peter=