Giovanna Padiglione History

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
penny007

Giovanna Padiglione History

Post by penny007 »

Hi

I am from the UK and am currently trying to trace my family tree for my mother who is Maltese. We have managed to trace the family up to my Great Great Great Grandmother Giovanna Padiglione who was an opera singer from Naples in the 1800's. She was married to Raffaele Cali again from Naples and they moved to Malta in around 1838. From there-on we know about the family but my mother is really interested in knowing more about her Italian roots and especially about Giovanna as my mother loves opera and loves singing, so is interested in knowing more about Giovanna's family.

If anyone has any information on how I can find out about Giovanna or the Padiglione family in Naples around that period of time, then I would be extremely grateful. I have looked her up on the internet and she only really gets mentioned because of Giuseppe Cali her son who became famous as an artist in Malta.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of how I would go about finding out any information on her, i would be extremely grateful for the help. It would just be a nice gift for my mother to find out some information she has wanted to know for years now.

Many thanks for reading this

Penny
rosa466

Re: Giovanna Padiglione History

Post by rosa466 »

http://www.searchmalta.com/surnames/cali/guiseppe.shtml
this has some info re your gggmother
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

What a great article and a wonderful historic record of your family. :lol: :lol:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Penny 007 If you go to www.google.com and insert in title GIOVANNA PADIGLIONE GENEALOGY NAPOLI ITALY about 60 references will show up about this famous lady. This should enable you to research further if you are seeking personal genealogy information abnout her family. Get back to us if you need any clarification of language, geenalogy, archival matters etc. =Peter=
ziffa004

Post by ziffa004 »

Hello

My father, Alfred G. Miceli, is the author of two books in Maltese about the History of Opera in Malta. The exact name of the two books is L-ISTORJA TAL-OPRA F’MALTA, the first one covering the period 1631-1866 and the second one 1866 to 2000. Browsing through the first book, there are a few references to GIOVANNA PADIGLIONE CALI which might interest you:

1) She was one of the main artists in the opera season 1842-43 of the Royal Theatre at Valletta, Malta.
2) In October 1842 she interpreted the character of Climene in the opera Saffo music by G. Pacini. First performance 1 October
3) In October 1842 she interpreted the character of Odetta in the opera Adelia ossia La Figlia dell’Arciere music by Donizetti. First performance 15 October
4) In December 1842 she interpreted the character of Michelina in the opera Il Bravo music by S. Mercadante. First performance 19 December
5) In April 1843 she interpreted the character of Elena in the opera Un Avventura di Scaramuccia music by L. Ricci. First performance 1 April
6) Again she was one of the artists in the 1843-44 season
7) In December 1843 she performed in the opera I Due Figaro music by Giovanni Antonio Speranza. First performance 27 December
8) Again she was one of the artists in the 1844-45 season
9) In January 1845 she interpreted the character of Maddalena in the opera Linda di Chamounix music by G. Donizetti. First performance 18 January
10) In June 1845 she interpreted the character of Berta in the opera Il Barbiere di Siviglia music by Rossini
11) Again she was one of the artists in the 1845-46 season.
12) In October 1845 she interpreted the character of Giovanna in the opera Ernani music by Verdi. First performance 2 October
13) Again she was on of the artists in the 1846-47 season.
14) In October 1846 she performed in the opera Anna La Prie music by Vincenzo Battista. First performance 1 October.

Hope you find this information interesting to you.

On the other hand perhaps you could supply the exact (that is day, month and year) date of birth and death of Giovanna Padiglione and perhaps you could also have a photo.

Bye