Italian Name endings?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tonal
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Name endings?

Post by Tonal »

My cousin was inquiring about her grandparents and that she was told they came from Palermo. Her maiden name was Caniglia. When she mentioned this to an Italian man at Milwaukee's Festa Italiano, he said that the endings of Italian names gives one a clue as to if they were from Sicily, or, the mainland of Italy. Can anyone let me know if this is true and explain it to me. Thank You.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian Name endings?

Post by PeterTimber »

May I suggest you go to www.google.com and in the title put in Sicilian surname endings Sicily and research. Perghaps you will find what you are seeking.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is another lead which is useful on your name research. The title of the book is Italian Genealogical records By Trafford R. Cole Page 33 on Italian surnames discusses Italian surnames. The book can be borrowed from your public library. =Peter=
Tonal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonal »

Thank you.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Tonal wrote:My cousin was inquiring about her grandparents and that she was told they came from Palermo. Her maiden name was Caniglia. When she mentioned this to an Italian man at Milwaukee's Festa Italiano, he said that the endings of Italian names gives one a clue as to if they were from Sicily, or, the mainland of Italy. Can anyone let me know if this is true and explain it to me. Thank You.
My paternal grandfather's surname ended in "iglia". He and his ancestors, dating back to at least 1705, hailed from Roccasecca, Frosinone - approximately 80 km southeast of Rome.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Thats not true. I have traced my fathers sicilian roots back to the 1700s. I have names ending with A, O and E. Oddly enough, in the quick look that I took..I dont seem to have any I endings, tho.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

greetings from Palermo,

there is not a rule for endings of sicilian surname but a lot of original sicilian surname endings with "O" like cimino,puccio, russo, vaccaro lo coco, augello, bruno, corrao , provenzano, mannino and so on, or endings with "A" like piazza, de luca , battaglia, reina, sinatra, barbera ; or it ending with "E" like vitale, marchese, ferrante , lucchese ... My surname for example ending with "I" and its origin is in north Italy like several surnames endings with "i". If a surname ending with "o" or "a" there is a possibility that his origin was sicilian but is not sure. I hope helped you.

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I b elieve that Mr. Tonal has much research to perform since he is so desirous of knowing about Sicilian surnames. =Peter=
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I didnt see much out there on sicilian name endings..and I googled it. I guess he is going to have to take our word for it..lol Sicilian names end in other letters than A.

Oh..by the way...my sicilian maiden name IS an A name.
Apache

Post by Apache »

Hi, I'm new to this site and can't think why I haven't found it before. I have traced my Sicilian family back to the 1630's. There is much discussion in the family but it is widely thought that my surname originates in Spain. How my family became to be in Sicily is anyone’s guess. But we think the Inquisition could have some bearing on it.
I have many many different surnames in my tree, but I am obviously mainly interested in tracing my family name which I know was from Palermo. I did have until recently have a father and son (Italians) in America helping at a reasonable cost to get the information I needed, baptism and marriage records from Italy. I have returned yesterday from Sicily with two telephone numbers, one for the Comune di Palermo, The other is the Municpaly for graveyards office in Palermo.
I was wondering if anyone would have an e-mail address for any of these. I have searched the net but unable to make headway. A young lady in reception gave me the details, but unfortunately I omitted to ask her for this info.
Another great help would be an address where I could get the details of more relatives from 1630 to 1500. I don’t know if this would be Rome or Sicily.

Thank in advance.

Bryan De-Lara.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Apache Sorry that you had to pay anyone for italian genealogy.....
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html
provides basic information on doing your own italian genealogy.

For your immediate needs go to www.gentracer.com/palermo.html

=Peter=
~Peter~
Apache

Post by Apache »

Wow, thank you Peter, I am feeling a little sick at the moment. I must have paid out thousands of $'s for all the documents I have had sent to me. At $20 each and at least 400 baptism and marriage documents, that's a lot of money. I am in the UK so now I can contact Sicily direct to try and get back further. I have asked if I could find out the actual church where the marriages took place but was told no. On the documents it does have the father (priests name). Apparently, if I want to go back further than 1500 I have to apply to the church direct, I don't know if this is false though.

Thank you once again.

Bryan.

p.s. Do they have e-mail addresses, and how do you pay any fees, donations etc?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

church records are iffy by mail and even in person most times so always froth at the mouth and ask/promise whatever they ask/charge.

Palermo city marriage index for 1820 to 1895 are at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... index8.htm

Everything concerning the church has to be direct.If your speaking about the pariish records then you would of necessity have to contact the parish priest in any event. Anything concerning archdiocese archives would have to be contacted thru the Archbishop archival priests. =Peter=
~Peter~
Apache

Post by Apache »

Thank you for the marriage index. It proves that my g/g/grandfather was not married in Palermo city. According to the marriage document I have he was married 1837 Die 3 Mai and it is nowhere to be seen in those indexes. It's a shame that on the document it doesn't say where the marriage took place. All the baptism documents just say Palermo.

Thanks again.

Bryan.
Apache

Post by Apache »

Does anyone know just how many different area's there are in Palermo or do I just contact one office that has all the baptism and marriage records from 1800 back?
Also are there like in England death records?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan.