Help with Notation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Help with Notation

Post by tbottegal »

Hi,

I need help with the following notation:

Cagliere Giovanni di Antonio e di N.N. (Vitelli Elena) nato a Trissino (VI) il 28.03.1882

I understand everything except: "N.N." and "(VI)" - what do they mean?

Thanks,
TBottegal
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

VI = Province of Vicenza but NN stumps me. Perhaps Suanj will come to the rescue. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help with Notation

Post by suanj »

tbottegal wrote:Hi,

I need help with the following notation:

Cagliere Giovanni di Antonio e di N.N. (Vitelli Elena) nato a Trissino (VI) il 28.03.1882

I understand everything except: "N.N." and "(VI)" - what do they mean?

Thanks,
TBottegal
Hi Bottegal: an request : (Vitelli Elena) is write on original document or is your note, your explanation??

Normally, N.N., on italian personal document , is abbrevation from a latin phrase, "Nescio Nomen= I not know the name" ( or father's name or mother's name)...only this is genealogy meant....
regards, suanj
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbottegal »

Peter:
Sorry - a stupid question! I was trying to make a Roman numeral out of it. Thanks for seeing it for what it is.

Suanj:
"(Vitelli Elena)" is on a sheet created for me by the civil records. I do not know if it is also on the original document from which they gathered their information.

However, there is a related note which does actually exist in the original document that might clarify. Woud you be willing to translate if I send the text?

Thanks again
TBottegal
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

tbottegal wrote:Peter:
Sorry - a stupid question! I was trying to make a Roman numeral out of it. Thanks for seeing it for what it is.

Suanj:
"(Vitelli Elena)" is on a sheet created for me by the civil records. I do not know if it is also on the original document from which they gathered their information.

However, there is a related note which does actually exist in the original document that might clarify. Woud you be willing to translate if I send the text?

Thanks again
TBottegal
Ok, send me an private message with text for traslation..suanj