Conterio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
martyn79

Conterio

Post by martyn79 »

Hello

I am attempting to trace my great-grandfather Henry Conterio. He was born on 4/10/1879 in northern Italy. His father was Antonio Conterio. When my great-grandfather moved to England, he changed his first name to make it sound more English. I have very little information. Is Conterio a common name? Where can I find records of my family?

thank you
Martyn Conterio
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Conterio

Post by PeterTimber »

Dedar Martyn if you go to www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi for the Conterio surname distribution in Italy.

In Italy most records are inthe town of origin which can be in cities,towns or even small villages..Canyou find the name of his place of origin??

Perhaps if you trrace the fsamily in the 1881 census you might pick up a clue. Perhaps family oral history may be the best source for this information. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I came across a name check record for Anthiony Conterio joining the army in 1939 from Warrington..Is that him? If so canyou find his army documents for place of birth? =Peter=
martyn79

Post by martyn79 »

PeterTimber wrote:I came across a name check record for Anthiony Conterio joining the army in 1939 from Warrington..Is that him? If so canyou find his army documents for place of birth? =Peter=
That is my grandmother's brother. He died in India in 1942.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Is there any family oral history that would identify the province if not the town of origin or perhaps the name of the church or Saint (each town has one!) that is honored yearly?? =Peter=
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hi.
Conterio isn't a very common surname: today is seems to be present in a few northern Italian regions, with the bigger presence of family with this surname in Piemonte.
I obviously don't know if it's the same branch your ancestor belonged to, but I know for sure there were/are a few Conterio families native of the town of Locana (province of Torino).
A poster of this forum did some search on them a few time ago: maybe you can try to contact him and exchange your info with his own. Here's the link:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... alian.html

Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio
martyn79

Post by martyn79 »

PeterTimber wrote:Is there any family oral history that would identify the province if not the town of origin or perhaps the name of the church or Saint (each town has one!) that is honored yearly?? =Peter=
All I have been told by my late father was Milan...but then once they said the Po Valley...and another time I heard Piacenza.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Henry's first name could have been ARRIGO or ENRICO, as Henry is the
common equivalent of both names.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is one Conterio in Parma City which is capital of Parma province and close to Piacenza province. Go to www.paginebianche.it and insert Conterio inthe frist line and Parma in the second line and the listing will come up. Oerhaps you willluck out, if you write to the male listing of Conterioin Parma in Italian

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html for a form letter to send. Enclose a self addressed envelope. Please keep us posted when he writes back. =Peter=
martyn79

Post by martyn79 »

PeterTimber wrote:There is one Conterio in Parma City which is capital of Parma province and close to Piacenza province. Go to www.paginebianche.it and insert Conterio inthe frist line and Parma in the second line and the listing will come up. Oerhaps you willluck out, if you write to the male listing of Conterioin Parma in Italian

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html for a form letter to send. Enclose a self addressed envelope. Please keep us posted when he writes back. =Peter=
thank you. today i sent for my great-grandfather's death certificate, i hope this will have some clues.
paulemarcodini

Post by paulemarcodini »

II am very happy because I thnk we are speaking about the same person .My gret granfather was antonio givanni conterio he was born in Locana 1856 and marriedwith myggmother caterina Nigra ,She was born in villareggia 1858 and they married in Cuorgne 1879 and the same year they had a child domenico conterio.He was born the 5 .10 1879. I have all the documents , atto di nascita attodi matrimonio ....the father conterio antonio was ded 1925 in cuorgne ,a village closed to LOCANA WHERE HE WAS BORN .mYGGMOTHER LEFT iTALY AND 1885 SHE GET A CHILD WITH MY GRETGFATHER mARCODINI PIETRO IN fRANCE AND THEY HAD 10 CHILDREN INFRACE TOGETHER BUTTHE PROBLEM IS 2 HAVE THE NAMECONTERIO .i KNOW ALSO THAT MY GGMOTHER TURNED 1914 TO CASALE CORTE CERRRO TO DIE THERE AND HIS HUSBAD CONTERIO ANTONIO CHANGED HER NAME WIFE MARCODINI IN WIFE CONTERIO BECAUSESHE WASNOT MARRIED WITH MARCODINI.i HAVE ALSO THE DOCUMENT .oNETHING i DONT UNDERSTAND IS WHY SHE LEFT CONTERIO BETWEEN 1879 AND 1885 AND WHY THIS CONTERIO DOMENICO LEFT iTALY AND AT WAT TIMEE?