Cardosi from Tuscany

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
peejay

Cardosi from Tuscany

Post by peejay »

My gg-grandfather was Domenico Cardosi from Tuscany. He was born around 1832, and emigrated to England before the 1851 census, and that's about all I know about him.

Some people have told me about some Cardosis who came from the Lucca and Barga area, but as yet I have failed to find a link.

Can anyone advise how to go about trying to track Domenico's family down? Also, does anyone know if the name is a common one in Tuscany?

many thanks

peejay
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Cardosi from Tuscany

Post by Tamberino »

Well, it seems like there are a few towns in northern Tuscany that have Cardosi as a last name. Just go here http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/ and see for yourself.
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

Look up the Name in the Italian white pages and it will show you all those living that share the Cardosi name. It looks like a lot are from Puglianella but there are many in the Lucca province.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Have you tried www.findmypast.com for a name check which is free of charge?=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I have Domenico Cardosi, born 1819 and died 1893 Camporgiano, Lucca, Italy. His father is Luigi cardosi and mother is Teresa Tortelli. I hope this relates. =peter=
peejay

Post by peejay »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I can't see a connection with my Domenico at the moment, soI guess I'll just have to carry on digging.

Do you know if there's any site where I can access all the Domenico Cardosi's born in a certain region in a certain time span?

peejay