maiden names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

maiden names

Post by jolynn »

hello, my great grandmother came to england in 1902. she married in 1878 and had 5 children. her husband died in the mid 1890,s. she remarried around 1898. she left her second husband and then came to england with her children from her first marriage in 1902. i have an alien registration card from 1920. on the card is a photo of her a number for her passport which was issued in italy by the police. and more importantly her name. it states rosa marandola a.k.a. conte. her first husband was conte. would the marandola be her maiden name which she was using or the name of her second husband? what was the practice then in these circumstances? thankyou, regards, john
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: maiden names

Post by elba »

If, as you say, the passport was issued by the Italian police/authorities, then almost certainly that would be here maiden name. That - irrespective of how many times she married - would always remain her name under Italian law. (Even today that is the case).
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello, thankyou for that, so the marandola on her card would be her maiden name even though she remarried and would still be married to the man she left in italy. we have rosa, born 1856, married about 1880 to aquila conte, aquila dies about 1895, rosa remarries about 1897 to unknown man,she leaves him with out divorce, she then leaves italy in 1902 and comes to england, she dies 1931 as rosa marandola. her maiden name. is that right. the marandola could not have been her second husbands name then. thankyou, regards, john
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

It sounds to me like Marandola is her maiden name. She probably left him and his name far behind and led her live using her maiden name.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello nuccia, how are you? yes i think there was a problem, after her first husband died i think she remarried because of her circumstances, being left with 5 children, i believe from what i have read in family documents that he was cruel to her forcing her to flee with the children. i believe she did not want to leave but it was a way out of her problems. i have the F.H.L. micrifilm out at the moment but it is hard work, the writing is quite difficult to read, lots of curly bits, well take care, regards, john
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi John!

Do you have any of the children's birth acts? If you do, it will list the parents names..the mother will have her maiden name on it. If you don't have them, you may want to order one just to see.

Microfilms can be funny. Some of the acts are in better condition than others, and the handwriting varies as well which can make it challenging sometimes. If you need any help with translating anything, let us know.

:D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello nuccia, i have maria's birth certificate, it say,s she was born in cervaro in 1892 but there are no details of any parents, she had to reconstruct it as the records in cervaro were destroyed in the war. she obtained the cert. from cervaro in 1957 for use in england as she needed to claim her pension. i have written to cervaro to ask them, when she reconstucted her birth cert. in 1957 were there were any further details on the application form. i also sent them copies of the birth cert. they provided in 1957. i guess it was a very basic cert. for pension purposes. any futher advise would be appriciated, kind regards, john
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

In Italy, even today, certificates are issued with an expiry date of usually 6 months for whatever purpose you need. If the parents names are not essential for the purpose (like pension application) they are not included. Her parents names should be on the original reconstructed certificate. If you don't get an answer let me know and I will telephone them for you.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello italy searcher i have sent you a p.m. regards john
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Hello Jolynn, today is your lucky day. The certificate came from Cervaro and it confirms the names of Maria Giuseppa Conte's parents. They are Achille Conte and Rosa Di Nallo.
The Cervaro office have no record of a certificate of birth for Felicia Conte. If she wasn't in Italy after WW2 this is quite possible as it would not have been reconstructed.
If you want the certificate, please send me your email address.
For general information I made 3 telephone calls, sent two faxes to get this certificate.
Happy New Year.
Ann
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello ann, i have sent a p.m. thankyou, regards, john