Any way to find a US adoption record from 1958?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
VXZZZZZZ
Rookie
Rookie

Any way to find a US adoption record from 1958?

Post by VXZZZZZZ »

Hey all,

I don't know if it is possible or not, but I wanted to know if anyone could help with this one...I am looking for an adoption record for an older gentlemen, who was adopted around July of 1958.

I have some details to go on, but he does not have a lot of information himself...

What I do know:

* His adoptive parents were Maxine and Norman O'Brien (not sure if the last name is spelled correctly).

* They adopted him around July of 1958, in either Illinois or Indiana.

* Maxine got remarried to a man named Richard Beechler, and when my friend turned 18-ish (he does not know what his real birthday is, or how old he really is), he chose to take the last name of Beechler.

This gentleman is now around 50 years old, and has a degenerative illness, and one of the few things that I would like to do for him this holiday season is to find out where he came from, who his real parents are/were, and to give this man some peace of mind.

This gentleman is as Roman as Roman can be, just by looking at him, you can tell; he's tall (when he can stand), and he just has the nose that is typically equated to those of Roman descent.

He had, at one time in his younger years, attempted to find out some information with regards to his heritage, but he had no idea where to start, and still does not.

Anyone have any ideas on if this kind of adoption record is available, since it is only 50 years old? And, if so, where would I go to start looking for said information? This is the first time that I have ever tried to look for an adoption record...

Thank you very much to everyone for the help in advance!!!

Vincint
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Any way to find a US adoption record from 1958?

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.indiana.adoption.com and for illinois send an e-mail to DPH.vitals@Illinois.gov =Peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Vincint:
Maxine is living?
if yes can say if the adoption was in Illinois or Indiana?
maybe remembering the orphanage?
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VXZZZZZZ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VXZZZZZZ »

suanj, No, Maxine and Richard are both gone, I believe. As for Norman O'Brien, he has been gone for a while, one reason why I am trying to help track down all this information.

Peter, thank you for the links, as always you seem to be an inexhaustible resource of knowledge...

Vincint
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Vincent,
Unfortunately most adoption records in Illinois are sealed. However, because your friend has a medical condition (not sure if his particular condition qualifies) he may have a chance at getting the records unsealed. The first step is to look at his birth certificate. Although it is altered from the original birth certificate (with his adoptive information) there should be a witness of his birth (generally the doctor). This should give you a clue as to the city or town of his birth. The second thing to try to find out is what agency or home he came from. The Chicago Catholic Archdiocese may be of assistance if he was adopted from a Catholic facility. He has the right to review his records for his family's health history and background (ethnicity, religion, etc.) only. He does not have the right to know their names (unless his medical condition qualifies and he would need a lawyer for that). These records would be housed at the orphanage or home he was adopted from so finding that out is very important. If he does not know perhaps there is a living relative that may.
VXZZZZZZ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VXZZZZZZ »

Wow, thanks for the leads Cathy!!! I will be in contact with him again this weekend, so I hope to find out some more information, so that I can help him more...

Thank you everyone for the help!

Vincint
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Good luck! And remember - where he was adopted from is most important because that is who will review his file with him. If he was from an orphanage in Chicago, post here and perhaps I can help you further. They will not devulge the identities of his parents but the information they give him should include professions, religion, ethnicity and health history of his biological parents. Perhaps he will get lucky and obtain some good clues. At least he will learn the ethnicity of his parents.
VXZZZZZZ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VXZZZZZZ »

Yeah, or if his biological parents are dead or not....that is something that I would like to find out for him as well...he has no idea what happened, why he was put in an orphanage, but from the clues he heard growing up, I guess that could be the case...I kinda wonder if one of his parents had this same kind of illness, and if that is why he was put into the orphanage...thanks a lot for all the help once more, it makes me very happy that I am able to help others, and for all of you to help me while I am helping some one else, that just goes to show how awesome you all are!

Thank you so much, once more...

Vincint