Coat of Arms in Viterbo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
julialauren

Coat of Arms in Viterbo

Post by julialauren »

I am trying to identify a coat of arms painted in a fresco in Viterbo (Lazio), Italy from the fifteenth century. The arms are on a shield with a black fess running across the middle with two black circles above the fess and one below, all of the same size. I only have a photocopy of the fresco with the crest, so I'm not sure of the colors of the crest, but if anyone could help me identify the family to whom this might belong, that would be wonderful! Grazie mille!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Coat of Arms in Viterbo

Post by PeterTimber »

what family name? +Peter=
julialauren

Post by julialauren »

That's what I'm trying to find out - I have the coat of arms but not the family name.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Where did you see it exactly and why didn't you inquire from the custodian of the premises?? This is your research. =Peter=
julialauren

Post by julialauren »

Well, it's academic research. The fresco is in Santa Maria Nuova and the sister on duty at the church didn't know much about the painting except that it was hidden under plaster until 1912. I only found the crest recently when looking through a book on fifteenth-century Viterbese painters which had a photo of the image pre-restoration with the crest. Currently, the crest has been removed from the fresco so I didn't know about it until I found the book - Pittori viterbesi di cinque secoli.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Without any identity save for the location and the picture of the coat of arms, I can only refer you to the antiquarian bookdealer Arnaldo Forni Editore,Bologna, e-mail info@fornieditore.com

www.fornieditore.com is the relating website. =Peter=