Received Grandfather's Birth Certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Received Grandfather's Birth Certificate

Post by legnoduro »

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all,
I just received my grandfather's birth certificate from Italy and noticed that when his surname was typed a letter was left out. His last name was Di Pasquale and on the certificate it is spelled Di Pasuale. How much of an issue is this? I am concerned that this might be a problem if I need to use the document for any official purposes such as dual citizenship.

Thank you,
Joseph
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Received Grandfather's Birth Certificate

Post by wldspirit »

From my understanding it largely depends on the consulate involved,
some may make an issue out of it and others will see it for what it is,
a clerical error!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

legnoduro wrote:Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all,
I just received my grandfather's birth certificate from Italy and noticed that when his surname was typed a letter was left out. His last name was Di Pasquale and on the certificate it is spelled Di Pasuale. How much of an issue is this? I am concerned that this might be a problem if I need to use the document for any official purposes such as dual citizenship.

Thank you,
Joseph
My experience with the NYC consulate was that they were far more likely to complain if the "misspelling" resulted in another valid name. In English terms, "Smjth" might pass as a typo where Smith was meant, however "Smyth" (a fairly common name) might not.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Thank you for your responses. Since your posts I have researched the name Di Pasuale and I cannot find one instance of this spelling so the clerical error seems to be obvious. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Joseph