Where Do I Look

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BlackHeartNY

Where Do I Look

Post by BlackHeartNY »

To find out what part of Naples my Grandmother and Grandfather came from? You see, my paternal grandparents both died long before I was born - even before my own parents were married. I know that they came from Naples - but here's another quest for me - I'm not even sure of the spelling of my last name.

Little story here. My paternal grandparents had 5 children. Their first born was born in Italy - where I don't know - my father and all of these Aunts and Uncles have now passed. The Uncle who was born in Italy spelled the last name "Fimiani," so I am assuming that this spelling is the TRUE and CORRECT spelling of my name. However, over the years, and Aunts, and Uncles, the spelling of my surname somehow changed. Example: Aunt's birth certificate spells it "Famiano," my father's birth certificate spells it "Fimiano," when my paternal grandfather passed away, the spelling on the prayer card was "Femiano!" The spelling I've used ALL these years has been COMPLETELY different from ALL of the above. I am SO LOST!

Now, my paternal Grandmother is also a problem! LOL! On my Aunt's Birth Certificate it spells my Grandmother's surname as "Barbara." I believe on my father's birth certificate it is spelled "Barbera." I have even been told by cousins that the name is actually "Barbaro." 8O

I HAVE found something that I THINK might help me find SOME information. I was able to locate both grandparents Death Certificates and will probably order those as soon as I can. I am hoping that these Death Certificates might even give me information on my family that goes further back than my grandparents (like great grandparents). I know that my grandparents came through Ellis Island, but I don't know if they came TOGETHER or if they came separately. I cannot even find a record on Ellis Island for my Uncle that was born in Italy. My grandparents cannot be found on the SSDI because they died long before the SSA started keeping computerized records.

SO - LOL - does anyone out there have ANY pointers on how I might be able to find what part of Naples my grandparents came from NOT knowing for sure the correct spelling of my very own surname? What else should I look for and where? I sure do appreciate any help I can get!
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Where Do I Look

Post by Essgee »

Start with what you know is fact.

What are the first names of these people? The first name of the Uncle born in Italy? When was he born? Where did these people reside in the US?

We have to follow the clues. You need to list as much "factual" info that you can. The rest is just interesting stories that may or may not prove to be true.

Let's start looking for the travel papers for your uncle and his parents. Then maybe we can tell you where to go from there.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum!
Essgee always gives great advice!

Sounds like you already have some important records.
It may help if you can place your family on the US census.
Census records starting in 1900 usually list immigration dates.
US military records, especially WWI & WWII draft registrations, can help also.
If your family naturalized, those records can be a big help.
The quickest way to find census & miltary records is on ancestry. com.
Do you have a subscription?
If not we can help you look.
If your family's ship manifests are after the late 1890's, they will usually
list a 'last residence'. After abt 1907 they will also list a birth location.
Let us know how we can help.
Valarie
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The name Femiano and the name Barbaro are found in Pignatoro Maggiore and in Caiazzo in Province of Caserta. Both are also found in city of Naples. In Naples, the surname of Barbera also exists. So Campania appears to be the region you are looking for...now for the town.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Shuips manifests are the only sure way to get the correct spelling and place of origin. For males it is easier since you can always go to provincialmiliatry records but for women (ALAS -ALACK!) with their single surname identity makes life hard. Have you tried www.castle garden.org for entry?? =Peter=
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

Essgee wrote:Start with what you know is fact.

What are the first names of these people? The first name of the Uncle born in Italy? When was he born? Where did these people reside in the US?

We have to follow the clues. You need to list as much "factual" info that you can. The rest is just interesting stories that may or may not prove to be true.

Let's start looking for the travel papers for your uncle and his parents. Then maybe we can tell you where to go from there.
Wow, thank you all for the quick replies! My paternal Grandfather's name was "Alphonse." My paternal Grandmother's name was "Anna." The Uncle who was born in Italy - his name was "Ralph," but I'll bet it's not like that on his birth certificate! We called my father "Joseph," but on his birth certificate his name is "Giuseppe," so I think you know what I mean by perhaps not finding anything relating to "Ralph" except perhaps his military/death/census records.

A cousin of mine did find a "1930 census" for the name "Fimiani," which listed the head of household as "Franz" (which I think is wrong) wife as "Anna," and 5 children as "Molly" (which I think is my Aunt "Millie"), Ralph, Joseph, Philip, and Theresa - these are the names of my Dad, Aunts and Uncles.

I do not have a subscription to Ancestry.com, but have found little things through other websites. One I used is www.footnote.com. This website shows my Dad, Uncle Ralph, and Uncle Phil.

Thanks so very much for your help! Let me know if I can give any other kind of information - I'll try!
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

Essgee wrote:Start with what you know is fact.

I forgot! My Uncle "Ralph" was born May 7, 1911. As a child, the family resided in Brooklyn, New York (this is where the rest of my Aunts and Uncles and father were born). As an adult, my Uncle resided in Salem, Massachusetts (my Aunt's name was "Hannah").
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Thank you for the update :D .

This appears to be the census you mentioned.
Do you think it is your family?

Thanks! Valarie

possible 1930 census

Home in 1930:
133 Columbia Street, rents $25
Brooklyn, Kings, New York

Head Franz Famiano 40, born abt 1890 IT
- married age 18, abt 1909
- immig 1910, Al
- longshoreman, docks
Wife Anna Famiano 47, born abt 1883 IT
- married age 27
- immig 1911, Al

Son Ralph Famiano 19, born abt 1911 IT
- immig 1911, Al
Daughter Molly Famiano 14, born abt 1916 NY
Son Joseph Famiano 8, born abt 1922 NY
Son Phillip Famiano 6, born abt 1924 NY
Daughter Theresa Famiano 1 8/12, born abt 1928 NY
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

One other thing I did find for my Uncle Ralph was some sort of "Naturalization" card?

The card shows his name as "Ralph Fimiani," and shows a residence address that I know the family lived at during that time = Columbia St., Brooklyn, NY. It shows his age as 31 years and it is dated August 17, 1942. (I think it's 194"2" - the copy is very blurry.) It was issued by the U.S. District Court in Boston, Massachusetts. I was thinking that this card either relates to when he joined the Army, or when he married my Aunt, Hannah.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

This is the darndest thing

It appears to be the same family with the wrong surname.
Perhaps Anna answered the enumerator’s questions and got confused or was misunderstood?
In Italy she would have continued to use her father’s surname, not her husband’s.

interesting 1920 census

Home in 1920:
103 Columbia Street
Brooklyn Assembly District 3, Kings, New York

Head Fred Barbara 30, abt 1890 IT
- immig 1911, Al
- longshoreman, docks
Wife Hanarah Barbara 38, abt 1882 IT
- immig 1911, Al

Son Ralph Barbara 9, abt 1911 IT
- immig 1911, Al
Daughter Millie Barbara 3, abt 1917 NY
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

This appears to be Anna & son Raffaele’s ship manifest
(last two lines)

1912 manifest
page 2

13 August 1912, SS Canada, Naples to NY
Lines 29-30

Anna Barba 29 (abt 1883)
- last residence Nocera Inf
(Nocera Inferiore, formerly Nocera dei Pagani, town and comune in the province of Salerno, Campania region)
- in Nocera Inf, father Giovanni
- destination Brooklyn
- joining husband Alfonso Fimiani
- born in Nocera Inf

Raffaele Fimian 1 (abt 1911)
- has possible naturalization notation
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

vj wrote:Thank you for the update :D .

This appears to be the census you mentioned.
Do you think it is your family?

Thanks! Valarie

possible 1930 census

Home in 1930:
133 Columbia Street, rents $25
Brooklyn, Kings, New York

Head Franz Famiano 40, born abt 1890 IT
- married age 18, abt 1909
- immig 1910, Al
- longshoreman, docks
Wife Anna Famiano 47, born abt 1883 IT
- married age 27
- immig 1911, Al

Son Ralph Famiano 19, born abt 1911 IT
- immig 1911, Al
Daughter Molly Famiano 14, born abt 1916 NY
Son Joseph Famiano 8, born abt 1922 NY
Son Phillip Famiano 6, born abt 1924 NY
Daughter Theresa Famiano 1 8/12, born abt 1928 NY
That's the one!
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

vj wrote:This is the darndest thing

It appears to be the same family with the wrong surname.
Perhaps Anna answered the enumerator’s questions and got confused or was misunderstood?
In Italy she would have continued to use her father’s surname, not her husband’s.

interesting 1920 census

Home in 1920:
103 Columbia Street
Brooklyn Assembly District 3, Kings, New York

Head Fred Barbara 30, abt 1890 IT
- immig 1911, Al
- longshoreman, docks
Wife Hanarah Barbara 38, abt 1882 IT
- immig 1911, Al

Son Ralph Barbara 9, abt 1911 IT
- immig 1911, Al
Daughter Millie Barbara 3, abt 1917 NY
You know, that is weird. I calculate my grandfather's birth year as 1890 or '91, my grandmother as 1883. I know my Uncle Ralph was born in 1911, and my Aunt Millie was born in 1916 (for sure).

Boy! This is confusing but fun as heck!
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

vj wrote:This appears to be Anna & son Raffaele’s ship manifest
(last two lines)

1912 manifest
page 2

13 August 1912, SS Canada, Naples to NY
Lines 29-30

Anna Barba 29 (abt 1883)
- last residence Nocera Inf
(Nocera Inferiore, formerly Nocera dei Pagani, town and comune in the province of Salerno, Campania region)
- in Nocera Inf, father Giovanni
- destination Brooklyn
- joining husband Alfonso Fimiani
- born in Nocera Inf

Raffaele Fimian 1 (abt 1911)
- has possible naturalization notation
Wow, wOw, Wow! That's wild! This record is THE closest I've come to any ship's manifest! May I ask you where you found this one? I have searched ellisisland.org but never saw this one! :D
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Alfonso’s probable manifest

Feb 1912
page 2

2 Feb 1912 SS Germania, Marseilles to NY
Line 22
Alfonso Femmiani 22
- married