NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
GAW3100

NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION

Post by GAW3100 »

Ok this is my first time using this site wish me luck..... My Great-Grandmother was Nazarena Gramemdola who lived in Monteleone Italy.It is believed that she passed way in 1897 in Monteleone. She would have been about 26 years old at the time of her death. Her husband was Francisco Arturi he was born in 1867 they had 4 children. Angelina 11/13/1890,Dominico in 1893, Teresa in 1895 and Palmira in 1897. In September of 1909 Francisco Arturi left for the USA with the 4 children .

I am looking for a birth certificate, death certificate and marriage certificate or any information on my Great-Grandmother and her parents.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to IG!!

As you can see from the following we need to pinpoint the Region and Province.
Starting with birth records of the children (since you have both parents names) and once this is done, you can send for a record of death to the comune and work your way backwards one generation at a time.
There may also be microfilmed records for your town of origin containing all birth, marriage and death records.

Region - Province - Town

Lazio RIETI MONTELEONE SABINO

Marche ASCOLI PICENO MONTELEONE DI FERMO

Puglia FOGGIA MONTELEONE DI PUGLIA

Sardegna SASSARI MONTELEONE ROCCA DORIA

Umbria PERUGIA MONTELEONE DI SPOLETO

Umbria TERNI MONTELEONE D'ORVIETO

What have you obtained in way of US records? There may be something which could narrow down which Monteleone we are talking about....

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

Hi GAW3100,

I would start by writing a letter in Italian to retrieve your great grandmother's death extract (not certificate). It should contain her date and place of birth as well as her date of death (and probably her parents names too!).
If Angelina was born in Monteleone then your great grandparents were most likely married there. Try to retrieve Nazarena's marriage extract as well. If Angelina was the first born in late 1890, then your great grandmother was probably married to your great grandfather within a year or two of Angelina's birth, 1888 or 1889. The marriage extract will have the ages of the bride and groom as well as the names of their parents (4 of your GG grandparents!). Of course it will contain the date and place of their marriage.
You could also try to retrieve her birth extract (not certificate) if you know she was born abt 1871. I would wait until you know her exact place and date of birth before attempting this.
There are several Monteleones in Italy. You will need to know the province name of the town/city as well as the zip code of the town before you can send any request. There are several sites on the internet that have this information. Simply address your letter to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Monteleone
(Zip Code-five digits), MONTELEONE, (province abbr.-two letters in CAPS)
ITALIA

If you can obtain a street address that's even better. Cost is usually about 1.50 (in U.S. dollars) for an extract but I took Peter's advice and usually put in $5.00 plus a self addressed return envelope. Send separate letters for each request.

You should also try the LDS family history center to see if there is any microfilm on Italian vital records you could rent. Cost is $5.50 (U.S) and takes about one month to arrive.
Others members will have more specific and technical information for you.
I hope this reply helps out a little bit.

Good luck,
blujay
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I've located two records of interest, one is a WW1 draft registration:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8334/dominicoyy7.jpg

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Name: Dominick Arturi
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 3 Jul 1893
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1765953
DraftBoard: 114

If the above is correct, can someone take a look at the birthplace??

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: Angelina Arturi
Arrival Date: 5 May 1910
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Ship Name: Italia
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 25
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_1471
Page Number: 94

Traveling with sisters Palmira and Theresa, all held for special inquiry.

wldspirit

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

It looks like Galletara Italy to me...not sure I am familiar with this name. Perhaps one of our members from Italy could help with it.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Thanks Nuccia.....it looks like a G to me as well, but I can't make out the rest.
Lee

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

GAW3100 wrote:Ok this is my first time using this site wish me luck..... My Great-Grandmother was Nazarena Gramemdola who lived in Monteleone Italy.It is believed that she passed way in 1897 in Monteleone. She would have been about 26 years old at the time of her death. Her husband was Francisco Arturi he was born in 1867 they had 4 children. Angelina 11/13/1890,Dominico in 1893, Teresa in 1895 and Palmira in 1897. In September of 1909 Francisco Arturi left for the USA with the 4 children .

I am looking for a birth certificate, death certificate and marriage certificate or any information on my Great-Grandmother and her parents.
The Monteleone place of your ancestor is the modern Vibo Valentia town; in the past the old name was Monteleone and was in Catanzaro province; now Vibo Valentia is town, capital of Vibo Valentia province.
So your ancestor came from Vibo valentia; in 1910 Filomena Arturi sister of Francesco came in USA with Angelina Arturi niece and joining at Francesco Arturi... both coming from Monteleone( aka Vibo Valentia) and italian nearest relative was:Francesca Arturi, San Francesco st, Pizzo town ( Vibo Valentia prince)
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0885%2ETIF

so your ancestor was of Monteleone( Vibo Valentia) ... ... best regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Suanj.......can you make out the name on the draft registration?
Of course, it may not be the right Domenico, but the birthdate is about right....
Hugs,
Lee

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Lee, Gallareta is wrong... exist Gallarate /Lombardia region... ...hugs, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

GAW3100

Post by GAW3100 »

I have tears running down my face. I can't even write this e-mail your correct that is my family. Thank you THANK YOU so much. I will continue work with my Mom to get more information but you found it........ I have to go now but will be back. Did I say THANK YOU...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Let us know what you need in way of records, or if you just want to be pointed in the right direction and locate the records yourself......half the fun is in the thrill of discovery....either way we're happy to help!! :D
wldspirit

Edit to add special inquiry page for Angelina, the two sisters and Aunt:

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/530/aliensra4.jpg

GAW3100

Post by GAW3100 »

Ok my friends... I checked with my family here in the US and have found some additional information. My Great-Grandfather (Franceso Arturi )23 years old whose occupation is a blacksmith went to the City Hall in the municipality of Monteleone in Calabria on November 14th 1890. He spoke to the Secretary (Georgorio Ramonfini) to declare that he had a daughter on November 13th in the house that is located at Forgiari Street. It goes on to say, His wife Gramendola Nazzarena, age 19 her occupation is a seamstress gave birth to a baby girl (my GrandMother) Angiolina.

So it looks like maybe Forgiari Street in Monteleone Calabria is where they lived. I have tried some sites on the inertnet to try and find this location but can't. what do you suggust I do next?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I have located it using the following link:

Enter Vibo Valentia in the search box, click on exact name, when the result appears, click on map, when the map appears enter the name of the street in the search box, click search and the location will be pinpointed with a red baloon!!

http://www.landfinder.it/townfinder.asp

now there should be a way to go in for a close up...... :?

Edit to add.....to zoom in it's that little plus sign in the upper left hand corner..... :oops: Not a computer whiz here.....lol.
Lee

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

...just in case go to www.mappy.com for street map =Peter=