Svingi?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Svingi?

Post by fredoniapeaches »

I have eaten my way across the boroughs...and through westchester...and I have to say...that was some good eatin'!! :)

I love the town I live in...half Italian half Irish...all the restaurants are Italian...and all the pubs are Irish...and you never go hungry, and there is always a glass of ...whatever you wish ...waiting...
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

You two are making me sentimental this morning! I am remembering how when I was little, my dad would drive us to NY (we were in Fairfield County,CT and would go to NYC every other weekend for visit to shows, shop, etc) to the street or neighborhood fairs - primarily Chinese or Italian! Being neither, these seemed exciting and foreign and sophisticated stuff for a young kid! But my favorite were the Italian Feast Days with all the wonderful food booths and souvenirs! I thought the flag was so beautiful and the music spoke to my inner being - and the food? Well.... let's just say I was expecting to become a fat old lady sooner rather than later! I always wanted to taste everything they were **SPAM** - and funnel cakes - yum! Sausage and peppers? To die for! Hehe! And now I am addicted to espresso - we do not even make American coffee hardly in our house (I do own a coffee maker and keep it on hand for guests - but most of them enjoy our espresso and cappuccino too!!) It was fated from early on I would marry an Italian, eh? And to think I did not set out specifically to marry into an Italian family - but he was too cute to ignore! He!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

So good to know that we must have passed each other like ships inthe night at the feast munching those delcious zeppole...when we lived in lala land for 2 years I helped start the San Gennaro feast on the CBS lot and nearby shopping mall and we had to (Believe it or not) request a New Jersey Pasticceria owner to come to the feast and make nothing but Zeppole all night (3 NIGHTS) and he gave them away free of charge and it was very heartwarming since most Californians are not generous as people are in the east and they could not believe it was free..all you want all night long Oh well thanks for the memories. =Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I did not set out specifically to marry into an Italian family
I was supposed to marry an Italian...that's all I ever heard growing up, otherwise I would dilute my blood..... :P

Needless to say, I didn't.....major dissapointment to the family....
although I was never sure if it was the German ancestry or his motorcyle that threw them for a loop!!!

I am going to make funnel cakes for the grandkids this weekend,
bought one of those kits at a local store.....we'll see if it is as good as the fair version.
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Is zeppole a "funnel cake"???? I never knew that zeppole was ever translated into english word? =Peter=
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

Needless to say, I didn't.....major dissapointment to the family....
Just the opposite for me :? - I grew up in Fairfield County and it was like I was marrying beneath myself or our status or something - but that lasted like, no time! Hehe! I lived in Rhode Island so no one had really met him except for a coupl.e quick one day visits when he and I decided to marry. My dad surprised me with nice wedding and went all out to be sure I had tons of gifts to take overseas for everyone - and became Val's best friend literally until my dad passed away at much too young age. Now - as far as family and especially my mom - Val is probably more loved than I am! :lol: He is such an integral part of the family, he has become the basic patriarch and one everyone else turns to! Even our friends! And I suspect a lot of that has to do with the fact he dispenses wisdom with food! Always - "Come in sit - have some spaghetti, some coffee, we'll talk about this - it will be fine - we have plenty of food and even more time!"
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Ahhh.....the Italian tradition of food......there isn't any problem that can't be solved over a plate of food, even more so dessert!!!

Kinda but not really Peter, the funnel cake has no filling in the batter, although I have seen some fairs offer it with your choice of fruit toppings......strawberry is my favorite.....
Lee

fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

in WNY (the Buffalo area) they are called doughboys, although we do have funnel cakes, they are not as popular. the dough boy...same premise...a blob of sweet dough flattened by hand and then deep fried, then covered in powedered sugar and cinnamon.

as far the food thing goes...it's always been that way, in my house, in my neighborhood, in my community. today...in my neighborhood, you can go to just about anyone's house (my neighborhood is "little italy" in my community) ...and you won't walk away hungry.

and even though I'm not nearly old enough to be an "elder"...I tend to be everyone's grandmother. my children are only teenagers!! I feed them, I comfort them, I smack them upside the head when they need that too.

I was supposed to marry Italian...but didn't. I regret that now. I divorced a polish guy...with metal issues. oy!

OH! and I work for the local Native American Tribe in the their Education Department...and was immediately embrassed, for all our similarities, both physical and cultural.
A) physical
1) long dark hair
2) high cheek bones
3) almond shaped eyes...but not so much so that they would look asian
B) cultural
1) a good shared meal solves alot of problems
2) dinner is never hurried through, it is to be enjoyed
3) laughter is the second best way to heal what ails your soul
4) family and friends are the two most important riches you can posses
5) we're loud, when we laugh, we're loud, when we yell...you will always hear us.
6) we all talk with our hands.
7) ever conversation will always take a turn toward food.

when i was first hired, many people on the reservation thought I was Native American...when they found out I was Italian...most said..."oh yeah...same difference..."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I love the Native Americans and their culture, but that's another story,
one in which I always get highly political and emotionaly upset, especially given todays attitude and what some think their god given right as new immigrants to this country...ticks me off!!!!

Dough boys..... :) Ok.....I've had them!! Here in the midwest, we call them Elephant Ears.....all this talk of food has given me an unbelievable sweet tooth, so last night at midnight no less.....I made pinapple upside down cake......yummm!!

Now with my husband being of German ancestry, he fails to understand my family.....thinks half of them are nuts.....that we can fight like cats and dogs, scream like we lost our last marble.....and then stand by each other side to side when the chips are down.... :roll:

Lee

fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

as far your family goes...yup. that sounds about right. my father's friend tells me stories of my nonna...and she would only speak Italian...and would get mad and just start yelling at everyone and throw things at them...but she would then turn around and give everyone hugs and tell them she loved them. heh. I do that too.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Ah! Someone who "has a taste for something at 10 or 11 at night"

Love it! At least I am not the only one who bakes cookies at midnight.......
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
jackmess

Post by jackmess »

:P
Yes, my Sicilian grandmother made them and then my aunt did until she was 94! Unfortunately she's gone but my wife thinks she has the recipe.

Svingi(?) are similar to zeppoli but I think much better. We call them svingi too.
:lol:
There were several varieties, the ones with anchovies, another with ricotta, another just plain, and the last one the grandchildren dipped in cinnamon sugar!

The dough is basically a bread dough, that much I know, and fried in oil.

I'll see if I can find the recipe.

Jack
jackmess

Post by jackmess »

:P
Yes, my Sicilian grandmother made them and then my aunt did until she was 94! Unfortunately she's gone but my wife thinks she has the recipe.

Svingi(?) are similar to zeppoli but I think much better. We call them svingi too.
:lol:
There were several varieties, the ones with anchovies, another with ricotta, another just plain, and the last one the grandchildren dipped in cinnamon sugar!

The dough is basically a bread dough, that much I know, and fried in oil.

I'll see if I can find the recipe.

Jack