Monago in Reggio di Calabria

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
jordant_25

Monago in Reggio di Calabria

Post by jordant_25 »

Can anyone help me find the birth records for my grandfather Domenic Monago, born August 12, 1912 in Reggio di Calabria. I was told the church burnt down where those records were stored.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Monago in Reggio di Calabria

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Jordant and welcome to the forum.

The LDS has microfilms for Reggio di Calbaria containing the civil records of birth, death marriage etc. from 1810-1910. The following link lists the films and the second link is to locate a Family History Center (FHC) so you can go in and order the films. Takes about 4 weeks to receive and cost is approximately $5.50 USD per film.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ato+civile++

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Elizabeth
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

jordant_25

Was he born in the actual city of Reggio Calabria or one of the small villages surrounding it?

I will be putting records for Cardeto, Armo and a few others ( thanks to Ben from www.benvanrijswijk.com/pitasi and
www.benvanrijswijk.com/debenedetto )online soon and while they may or may not be useful to you, I thought I would mention it.

The records will be hosted here:

The Calabria Exchange and I am in the process of uploading the records now.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

Today I worked my way through all the birth acts of Reggio Calabria of the year 1912 and I am sorry to say that no Domenico Monago was born in Reggio Calabria that year.
Worse: the name Monago does not even exist in the database of Calabrese names.
The staff of the archive proposed that you meant the name Managò (with an accent on the o). But there is also no sign of life of the name Managò in the Civil State of Reggio Calabria.
The database of Calabrese surnames says: "Managò RE, RC a Gioa Tauro, in zona di Gerace e di Palmi, nap. sic.; Managhò (=Manahò) a 1741 a Palmi (R24); cfr. Manahò (Monaho) cont. di Monterosso (CZ): gr. ??????? "monaco".
Edit. I am sorry, I notice that this forum does not accept Greec characters