Ariano Irpino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mec04

Ariano Irpino

Post by mec04 »

Wondering if anyone else is searching this area. Looking for surname Scilmbraca. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Ariano Irpino

Post by suanj »

mec04 wrote:Wondering if anyone else is searching this area. Looking for surname Scilmbraca. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Scilmbraca not exist, please exact spelling..suanj
mec04

Post by mec04 »

Thank you. Could be Scilimbraca or in USA it was Schlimbraco. Looking specifically for information on Nicola b abt 1849 married Maria Giuseppa Projetta (no birth information) and child Virginia b 6 Aug 1887 in Ariano Irpino. Thanks again!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi really this surname is very strange.. I've found only an record and from direct reading ship's manifest really is SCILIMBRACA ..are an Albino Scilimbraca with wife Carlotta Botta coming from Ariano Irpino http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 2719050038
but this surname Scilimbraca is very very very rare ... more Projetta not are in all Campania region (Ariano Irpino is in Campania region) are only Proietti .... sorry...suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Since civil records (briths,marriages deaths etc) go bacjk to 1809 in Ariano Irpino, you can research the information on micorfiLM AT THE FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY oif the Mormon church nearest your home. The rental fee is around $3.00. Peter
mec04

Post by mec04 »

I will need to continue searching...located Nicola, wife and daughter Virginia on LDS film. Located a Virginia on Ellis Island record coming on the ship Algeria on May 18, 1902 with last name spelled SCILINBRACA and learned that she was detained at Ellis Island for a few hours due to her brother Albino SCILIMBRACA being late to pick her up. This girl was 14 that year which matches known birth of my great grandmother as does the LDS film documenting her birth in Ariano. Don't know where to go next.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Just what are you looking for?? peter
mec04

Post by mec04 »

Any record of this Surname and related family, parents of Nicola. If this is such an uncommon surname in Ariano, where is it located?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The surname is obviously local in orgii. Why not contact the Tipaldi or Mancini libraries in Ariano Irpino for any information..Biblioteca is the italian word for library. Peter
mec04

Post by mec04 »

Thank you Peter for your advice. Brick walls can be so frustrating especially when in a foreign country. I will look into contacting the library you mention and go from there. Thanks again! Trish
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mec04 wrote:I will need to continue searching...located Nicola, wife and daughter Virginia on LDS film. Located a Virginia on Ellis Island record coming on the ship Algeria on May 18, 1902 with last name spelled SCILINBRACA and learned that she was detained at Ellis Island for a few hours due to her brother Albino SCILIMBRACA being late to pick her up. This girl was 14 that year which matches known birth of my great grandmother as does the LDS film documenting her birth in Ariano. Don't know where to go next.
Hi: Virginia in travel with Gerardo sabino also from Ariano and, Virginia it goes (from reading ship's manifest) father brother Albino..the surname are wrote Scilimbraca on manifest but misspelled on ellis island SCILINIBRACA http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 0267055616&

For your request please send an email to Gaetano Grasso local's history of Ariano Irpino; it know all surnames and family connections in Ariano Irpino info@edizionilaginestra.it and perhaps can help you.. regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I did some checking and found there is a Ablius Scilimbraca, born 1876 registered in the 1930 census and he lived in essex. Peter
mec04

Post by mec04 »

That is fantastic Peter, thank you so much!! It is a lead that I did not have beore. Thanks again for all of your assistance. Trish
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Go to www.ancestry.com and look into this. Peter
smcgowan65

Post by smcgowan65 »

Hello...I believe we are related (well, you're related to my husband). I have just inherited a load of pictures that I am currently loading on disk from Santina (Mecca) McGowan, Joe and Virginia's daughter. Sebastian McGowan would have been her older brother. Your dad, Raymond, would be my father-in-law's cousin. I have many old photgraphs--including old wedding pictures. Please contact me as I am interested in fleshing out the family history.

Susan McGowan