Father's heritage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Harmony

Father's heritage

Post by Harmony »

Trying to obtain info on my father who was born in Belmonte Calabro in 1895. His name was Antonio Bruno, father, Frank, Mother, Antoinett. He was killed in an auto accident here in America when I was 6, so never really had a chance to find out more about him. I know he fought in the war for Italy before coming to America. Tried to find his name on ships registry without success. Any information is greatly appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Father's heritage

Post by PeterTimber »

If you wish to trace your family back to 1809 from 1910 you ca n rento out the micorfilms of the civil records for all births,marriages and deaths in Belmonte Calabro by renting out the microfilm from the nearest mormon Family History Library ( www.familysearch.org for nearest your home). Cost about $5.00 to rent and bring along a book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson and a magnifying glass for the handwritten records.

You maqy also go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Belmonte Calabro and then click on the name for a web page and scroll down to the municipio address to write to the Uffico di Stato Civile in belmonte Calabro for his birth record (estratto di nascita) as well as a Certificato di Stato di Famiglia with his father Francesco as head of family for immediate family compositon along with his spouse name. The service is free of charge

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html to make your requests for marriages and deaths as well if you wish.. but separately.=Peter=
~Peter~
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Harmony and welcome to the forum.

Do you know the approximate year your father came to the USA and what was the year of his death and what state?
This should help members of the forum so possible information for USA records can be located.

Belmonte Calabro, province: Cosenza - region: Calabria

Here is a link direct to the Cosenza archive for records
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... 408D.node1
You have to register, it's free. Once you do go to the upper right corner and select language as english, the type his last name and first name and town to get a list. This site is still being worked on so keep checking back and you might be able to get information such as his birth record, italian military records etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Elizabeth
Harmony

Post by Harmony »

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your quick response. I do have most of my father's USA records, SS application, death certificate, etc. It's his Italian family and home that I would like to find out more about. He came to America around 1919. Lived and died in Indiana. I do not know what port he landed in America, could never locate his name on ship's registry. As I said he served in the Italian army as a sargeant.

I will try the site you sent me, thanks again for your response.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Good morning Harmony,

I did find 2 manifests for Antonio Bruno. On both the age is about right for his birth year, but both traveled in 1913 and both from Belmonte. Fathers for both were Francesco's....one going to NY and one going to PA.

I can post both of them for you to look at but chances are you've already seen these manifests. Let me know if you would like them posted.

Have a great day.
Elizabeth
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is Anto nio Bruno who was born in 1895 and arrived November 2, 1919 . He is on line #16...go to www.ellisland.org and look him up and see if that is your father's entry. =Peter=
~Peter~
Harmony

Post by Harmony »

Thank you again Elizabeth,
Yes, please do post what you found. My father listed his father as Frank, but that could have been Francesco,never know.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Good morning Peter.

Just checked the manifest you referenced and that Antonio is from Vasto with a father named Giuseppe. Was hoping it would be a winner.

Regards,
Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Manifest June 03, 1913
page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029
page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029

Manifest July 2, 1913
page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0023
page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0023

Both manifests have other passengers from Belmonte so you may want to look at their names and where they were going. Maybe those surnames or destinations will ring a bell.

Let us know if one of these might be him.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elizabeth I was under the impression that harmony knew what she was saying about her father arriving around 1919 and so I concentrated on those years and 1895 births which is what she said was his birthyear. Had I known differently....=Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Harmony wrote:Trying to obtain info on my father who was born in Belmonte Calabro in 1895.
His name was Antonio Bruno, father, Frank, Mother, Antoinett...
Tried to find his name on ships registry without success.
Two trips, a possibility?

If this manifest is correct, then one of the 1913 manifests that Elizabeth :D found may also be correct.
Valarie

Jun 1920 SS Canopic, Naples to Boston
Line 1

Destination NY

From ancestry. com
possible 1920 manifest
page 2

Antonio Bruno, 25
- single
- laborer
- last residence Belmonte
- in Belmonte, father Francesco
- destination New York, NY
- passage paid by Italian Govt
- in NY 1913-1915
- joining cousin Giuseppe Bruno at 113 York Ville New York
- born in Belmonte
Harmony

Post by Harmony »

Thank you all for this wonderful information. There is the possibility that he made 2 trips, one when he was 14 and then returned when war broke out and fought with Italy. My older brother, now deceased, mentioned that, but we were never sure it was true. Since the war ended, I think, in 1919, the 1920 sailing might be the one. I am excited to see this and do so appreciate the wealth of information you have all sent me so quickly. Still would like more info on his Italian family and home, but thank you again for this information.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Harmony I suggested that you rent out the microfilm for Belmonte Calabro in ghe firt reply to your initial inquiry on how to find out about his family in that Italian comune which you can view for your information and municipal addresses in seeking documents, if any, that you may wish to request. I ad vised you to go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Belmonte Calabro and then click on the name and VOILA!! the town website will come up and scroll down to the municipio address and send off for whatever records you may wish.

I even furnished you with the websites in order toobtain form letters in Italian at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Of course you may need additonal information and we are here for that too. =Peter=
~Peter~
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi and Welcome Harmony,

You've been provided with some great information and some options. You mention you would like more info so can you please tell us how you want to proceed?

Would you like to conduct the research yourself with our advice, or would you prefer someone to find the information for you? Or would you like a combination of both?

It always help when you can define your goals for us but sometimes that's hard for someone newly staring out. One has a tendency to either become overwhelmed by the process or addicted!

Looking forward to your reply. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Harmony

Post by Harmony »

Peter,

I plan to search all of the sites you sent me. Hope I can navigate them easily, but may ask for everyone's help again, should I need it. You have all been so generous in your responses. Thank you all again.