GROTTAGLIE-Marriage records pre-1881

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

GROTTAGLIE-Marriage records pre-1881

Post by blujay »

Hello everyone,

As some of you may or may not know, I have been contacting Grottaglie, Italy via postal mail and email concerning my great grandfather, Ernesto Dell' Aquila and his father Antonio V. Dell'Aquila. Yesterday, I finally received postal mail from Grottaglie. For that I am extremely grateful. The contents:

"il giorno quattordici del mese di settembre dell'anno milleottocentoottantaquattro alle Ore undici e minuti quarantacinque in GROTTAGLIE (TA) nell' la casa posta Via San Nicola n. 2 e nato
DELL'AQUILA ERNESTO sesso Maschile figlio di DELL'AQUILA ANTONIO VINCENZO e di NISI MARIA GIUSEPPA come risulta da atto N. 321 PARTE i SERIE UFFICIO 1 REGISTRO 1 Registrato a GROTTAGLIE Anno 1884."

I hope this means that he was born 11:45 in the morning on 14 Sep 1884 and that his parents were Antonio Vincenzo DELL'AQUILA and Maria Giuseppa NISI.

I also received news concerning the requested marriage extract of Antonio V. Dell'Aquila and Maria Nisi circa 1877.

"OGGETTO: communicazione estratto di matrimonio

Si comunica che si e immpossibilitati a transmetter vi l'estratto di matrimonio dei bisnonni DELL'AQUILA Antonio Vincenzo e NISI Maria Giuseppa, significando che i registri di matrimonio depositati presso il nostro archivio decorrono dall'anno 1881(controllati tutti i registri che vanno dall'anno 1881 all'anno 1891)."

Does this mean that they couldn't find the requested record because it's not in the archive from 1881-1891? If so, why would they tell me this if the date of the event in my letter was circa 1877? Do I need to tell them what annal to look in or are they implying they have no marriage records before 1881? If there are no such records before 1881, would I need to send a letter to the State Archive in Taranto requesting the marriage extract in Grottaglie circa 1877?

Thanks for your responses!

Regards,
blujay :)

P.S. They returned the postal coupon and the $5 bill in each envelope but did use my self-addressed envelope.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Re: Results from Grottaglie

Post by uantiti »

Yes, you understood correctly about the birth certificate of Ernesto Dell'Aquila.

They couldn't find the marriage certificate as their records start from 1881 and it's not among marrriages from 1881 to 1891. I'm not sure that previous records can be found at the State Archive in Taranto but you may try and request it. The other solution could be to get in touch with the parish in Grottaglie.

Ada
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Re: GROTTAGLIE-Marriage records pre-1881

Post by blujay »

Hi Ada,
I emailed the Archivio di Stato in Taranto to see if they have marriage records before 1881. In terms of parishes, I don't even know where to begin.
The only church I've read about is the Chiesa Matrice. Is there a directory of catholic churches in Grottagile? Maybe I can email them before making a formal request. Thanks so much for your help!

Regards,
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

On the telephone directory I could find a listing of parishes in Grottaglie. Insert the word parrocchia where "cognome" is requested then grottaglie where "dove" and click Cerca.
Try and write to all of them leaving out #6 and #7 as I think they are just convents.

Parrocchia

Good luck.

Ada
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes there is a listing for parish churches. Go to www.parrocchie.it and put inGrottaglie in the right side and click. I believe there is one church listed. =Peter=
~Peter~
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Peter,
I checked that site before giving the link for the telephone directory. The www.parrocchie.it is just giving one name and I think it's a convent/monastery this is why I didn't post it.

Ada
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

They might try the dioceses in Altamura. www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/it.html and ask about the Grottaglie church archives. =Peter=
~Peter~
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

Yesterday I received a response via email from the Archivio di Stato in Taranto concerning this matter.

"non conserviamo atti di matrimonio attenti la data da Lei indicata."

Would this mean that the Archivio di Stato in Taranto does not have any marriage records in Grottaglie before 1881? Or perhaps the data I gave them was incorrect? Maybe my great great grandmother NISI was from a nearby town and the ceremony was there? Would a request for a stato di famiglia originario/storico from Grottaglie be necessary?

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Best regards,
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

They have no records within the dates you referenced in your letter to them. Perhaps writing to the church dicoese in Altamura that I gave you may shed some light as to where the records may be found. =Peter=
~Peter~
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

PeterTimber wrote:They have no records within the dates you referenced in your letter to them. Perhaps writing to the church dicoese in Altamura that I gave you may shed some light as to where the records may be found. =Peter=
Peter,
Is the diocese of Altamura near Grottaglie? How would they know of records in Grottaglie? Can a diocese have more than one church? Sorry, this is a bit confusing for me.

Thanks,
blujay
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I stand corrected. Communication should go to Archibishop Benignio Luigi Pape, Largo Arcivescovado 8, 74100, Taranto, Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

OK. That makes sense being that Taranto is the capital of the province. Thanks Peter!

Regards,
blujay