Surname Gaggini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gaggini

Surname Gaggini

Post by gaggini »

Hi; I'm looking for information on a Giueseppi Gaggini (possible middle name Luca) who was born in 1891ish. His father was Petro - A soldier in the Italian Army. The original info that has been passed through the family was that he was born near Florence but noone know where exactly.

He did go to United States but ended up returning to Europe-first France to his sisters then to England where he also had some cousins. He married in England in 1917 so all of this happened before then.

I have found a ship record in New York with fairly close dates for around the time that he might have been there. Arriving in 1919 and his birth being about 1890. the port was genoa and birthplace seems to be Traona, Sondrio. I think that if I could find if this person's father was Petro (Pietro?) I would know if it was Giueseppi.

Does anyone have any hints how I can start going about this search or have any ideas how to find Giueseppi if this is not him.

Thanks
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Surname Gaggini

Post by PeterTimber »

Please go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Traona and then click on the name Traona when it shows up and you will have access information for the town. Normally you would write to the Civil records office of the municipality and wait for a birth,marriage ior death record provided you furnish a full name, a year of birth (or approximate). If this is the actual city,town or village of origin and the records are available they would send you the corresponding document.

If this is your immediate objective then go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html since all letters must be in Italian. Please get back if you need any further assistance. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

To cover the military aspect of your objectives send an e-mail to the Directress Rosalia Manno Tolu at manno@archiviodistato.firenze.it asking her for information relating to PIETRO GAGGINO and his registro di Leva (Conscription records for obligatory military service at age 18) which contain all the vitals including parents names. Thesemilitary records are house at the provincial level. This must be done in Italian language.
'
If Italian langiage is not known then mail form letter for military record found at www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

Names: Pietro=Peter Giuseppe=Joseph

Lots of Luck. =Peter=
~Peter~
gaggini

Post by gaggini »

thanks Peter-That is great information for me to start with.
cover

Post by cover »

gaggini wrote:Hi; I'm looking for information on a Giueseppi Gaggini (possible middle name Luca) who was born in 1891ish. His father was Petro - A soldier in the Italian Army. The original info that has been passed through the family was that he was born near Florence but noone know where exactly.

He did go to United States but ended up returning to Europe-first France to his sisters then to England where he also had some cousins. He married in England in 1917 so all of this happened before then.

I have found a ship record in New York with fairly close dates for around the time that he might have been there. Arriving in 1919 and his birth being about 1890. the port was genoa and birthplace seems to be Traona, Sondrio. I think that if I could find if this person's father was Petro (Pietro?) I would know if it was Giueseppi.

Does anyone have any hints how I can start going about this search or have any ideas how to find Giueseppi if this is not him.

Thanks
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Cover what is your message? =Peter=
~Peter~
cally

Post by cally »

There is a Luigi Pierotti in my tree who married Mary Anne Casemore, (my great great Aunt on my father's side) . Luigi was known as George in England and there seems to have been a change of name from Pierotti to Gaggini. They are listed as living in Coventry, England in the 1901 census. Luigi Pierotti (Gaggini) was born in Florence in 1877 and was an Ice cream maker. Guisseppe could have been Luigi's father but I am still trying to find that out, I have not I am trying to find out who my father's father was - I have no information about him as he was not named on his birth certificate, but I have an idea he may have been italian and connected to the numerous Gagginis and Pierottis in Coventry at that time. I have also heard, very recently, of another Guiseppe born 1891 in or near Florence who moved to Coventry, england. he married Ada Cairns and his father was called Pietro Gaggini ( poss name change from Pierotti, as mentioned before). He had a sister in France. He may have been a cousin of Luigi.
Do let me know if you find anything out. Carole
Tezmo

Post by Tezmo »

Cally, you still interested in this ? I was just browsing the other day and typed in my mothers maiden name and came up with this. All the Gagginis in Coventry are related to each otherr and are descendants of my grandfather Guiseppe Jo Jorda Gaggini and Ada Gaggini, nee Cairns ( both deceased). I would be interested if you managed to find any other material.
gaggini

Post by gaggini »

HI Tezmo/Terry??

If you are a gaggini from Coventry you would be related to me. I have some details on the cairns side but little from the gaggini side.

Carol
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

gaggini wrote: have found a ship record in New York with fairly close dates for around the time that he might have been there. Arriving in 1919 and his birth being about 1890. the port was genoa and birthplace seems to be Traona, Sondrio. I think that if I could find if this person's father was Petro (Pietro?) I would know if it was Giueseppi.
if the arrival manifest was this one:

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006

on the second page you can see that Giuseppe was joining his father GioBatta in California (San Francisco), so he cannot be "your" Giuseppe....

Laura
Tezmo

Post by Tezmo »

Carol. Nice to hear from you, I wasnt sure if it was still a live thread. I dont know how much you know about the Gagginis. Guiseppe came to the UK from America, I am informed he travelled with his brother Peitro around 1917.( Guestimate). He may have joined the British army and been based in Worcester where he met and married Ada Cairns, (married in a registry office and later re married in a Coventry church). They moved to Coventry where Guiseppe aka Jo or George worked for his cousin Luigi Pierotti. The Pierotti's were know as George and lived in Freehold Street, Coventry, they were Ice cream makers and Guiseppe sold ice cream from a bicycle. Guiseppe and Ada had 9 children, 5 boys 4 girlsthe reason there are so many offspring still in coventry.

Hope this Helps, Its really interesting and nice to find a distant relative and hopefully establish any missing links. Keep posting.
Terry
Tezmo

Post by Tezmo »

Carol. Just a quick one, Guiseppe was born 4 hours donkey ride south of Florence and worked his young life in a monestry on top of a hill. Dont know if that helps at all.

Terry
gaggini

Post by gaggini »

Hi Terry;

I thought that Tez was you!!! I guess I would love to clarify some info. Over in Canada I get dribs and drabs. and different info from different people. It seems like a myth that keeps growing.

I understood that his father was Pietro?? I also heard from your mom that his middle name was Lucca but are we sure that he wasn't born in Lucca?? which is Tuscany. I'm not sure if Lucca is 4 hours donkey ride from Florence??

The only ship records that I have found that fit his birth and when he would have landed is the one listed above. The only problem is that he was born in Traona which is north--where there are lots of gaggini's.

I do believe that this is an endless loop.

Take care and if you figure any of this out let me know. I did also have contact with the Pierotti relative on ancestry but she hasn't gotten back to me. I guess that means that they have very little info also. I wonder if that means out great grandmother was a Pierotti (giuseppi's mom).

Bye for now,

Carol
gaggini

Post by gaggini »

Just for more info Terry, Granddad can be found in the 1911 census in coventry although name is spelled Guseppe.

They were married in the church Nov 17, 1917, St. Benedict but I didn't know that they were married earlier than that also.
cally

Post by cally »

Tezmo wrote:Cally, you still interested in this ? I was just browsing the other day and typed in my mothers maiden name and came up with this. All the Gagginis in Coventry are related to each otherr and are descendants of my grandfather Guiseppe Jo Jorda Gaggini and Ada Gaggini, nee Cairns ( both deceased). I would be interested if you managed to find any other material.

Hi Terry,
Thank you for your reply and yes, I'm still very interested. The nearest connection I can find is that Mary Anne Casemore born 1872 married Luigi Gaggini born 1877. I'm thinking that the name Pierotti would have been the maiden name of Guisseppe 's grandmother? I must say I'm quite confused at the moment but like you say, all the Gaggini's in Coventry would have been related. Because my father's father was not named on his birth certificate I don't know if there is a closer connection between the Hancox's and the gaggini's, than what I know and have mentioned already. My father was named as Norman Reader Hancox at birth. The name ,Reader, appears to have been dropped by the time he was married. Do you have any info on that name? He joined the army and fought in Italy in WW2. I have some small keepsakes from his time there and he had wanted to return. I'll let you know if I get anything more helpful.
regards
Carole (Cally)