SCAGLIA/MARCACCI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
berland

SCAGLIA/MARCACCI

Post by berland »

Hi. I'm researching my Italian ancestors whose surnames were Scaglia and Marcacci. Both were from northern Italy.

The Scaglia family was from Cerignale, Piacenza.
The Marcacci family was from Lizzano, Bologna.

Pietro Marcacci, born 1854, immigrated to America in 1901.
I think he had two wives, Celia Biagi and Mary Donini.
Both women immigrated to America.
He had ten kids, all born in Italy.

Apollonia Marcacci, born 1867, immigrated to America in 1904.
Sister of Pietro.
She was widowed before she came to America, his last name was Carpani, they married in or about 1883.
She had at least two kids born in Italy, and I think she had a few more who did not survive.

I'm trying to find out the names of Pietro and Apollonia's parents, and whether they had more siblings. And I'm trying to find the first name and any other information about Apollonia's Carpani husband.

Antonio Scaglia, born 1842, immigrated to America in 1873.
His wife was Maria Valla, they married in 1869.
His parents were Giovanni Scaglia and Agostina Castelli.
Her parents were Domenico Valla and Barbara Agogliati.
They had three kids born in Italy.

I'm trying to find any more information about their family before they moved to Italy--including siblings, grandparents, etc.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: SCAGLIA/MARCACCI

Post by PeterTimber »

How about doing your own Italian Genealogy Research by going to
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

Inthe alternative there are people here includingmyself who can assist you along the way so you have it both ways and nice and easy. =Peter=
~Peter~
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Peter..speaking of nice and easy..the person does not know you or your sense of humour so down boy! Perhaps we should explain how a person can use the site and find out what they have already done?

berland,

You seem to had quite a bit of information. Is this all from word of mouth or have you sources and documented proof for the above? Have you completed your US research as well? What makes you think he may have had two wives? Have you been able to find their ship manifests and did they offer any clues?

This may be Mary's manifest:

First Name: Maria
Last Name: Donini Marcacci
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Lizzano
Date of Arrival: Dec 21, 1901
Age at Arrival: 44y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Sicilia
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0001

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2828010390

It identifies her husband as Pietro Marcacci in Vineland NJ as states her last residence from Lizzano. Impressive too that she is listed as being able to read and write ..

This information I found on www.stevemorse.org which is a free site but you must register a username and password to be able to access the info. If you have not used it before, and need help, let us know and we can guide you through it. Could she have been his first wife? If so, you will need to place them on a Census..1910 and on until she "disappears" and then find the death information. Lets see what we can find.

Sorry..I usually only work with one person at a time. You will be able to use the same process (more or less) for each person you are researching until you can fit all the pieces together. This keeps everything from becoming to overwhelming.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ok..so Pietro traveled the same year as his wife in 1901 with his 17 year old son, Giuseppe. Here is his record:

First Name: Pietro
Last Name: Marcacci
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Lizzano Belvedere
Date of Arrival: Apr 13, 1901
Age at Arrival: 47y 9m Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Marco Minghetti
Port of Departure: Genova
Manifest Line Number: 0001

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 4927070244

Luckily he also traveled in 1911 (although the manifest is mislinked on the free site). Normally you could use the search engine on the site to go frame by frame to find the correct manifest (Time intensive but free) but I believe the feature is still down for maintenance (I could be mistaken though). In this case, I would ask someone to look it up on ancestry as the manifest may give the name of his parent(s). After 1908, ship manifests gave more information.

Ok..so it says he is traveling with his wife and it gives his fathers name:

Page 1:

Page 2:

The notation next to his name says 4 14-15 i think so it could mean page four person 14...lets have a look.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Here we have wife #2.

Traveling to her brother in laws in Vineyard NJ, with child Agata. Clelia is 50. Maria died after 1901 but before 1911 then..and her child is 16 so she may also have been previously married, especially since Agata is listed as a Gugliehmi. We need to check the 1910 Census to see if Pietro and Maria were there.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

What is also interesting is that the family was detained since Pietro is listed as ill (well admitted which sometimes means has been admitted to see a doctor). According to the DR Cert. he is considered LPC (Likely to be a Public Charge). It couldn't have been anything to serious because they didn't deport him so they probably released him to one of his family members.

nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database