Cito family history

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Logic_Bomb

Cito family history

Post by Logic_Bomb »

I am a South African but of of Italian descent. My grandfather was Giuseppe Giovanni Cito, who came to South Africa as a POW in World War II and decided to stay after falling in love with the country and my grandmother. He was from Lecce, but I really do not know much about his past or our family in Italy as he died when I was a small boy. I would be overjoyed if anybody has some information on the Cito genealogy/history -looking forward to the replies!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Cito family history

Post by PeterTimber »

To obtain personnel files for former Italian POWs you can write (IN ITALIAN) Ten, Col. Fasullo, Ministero della Difesa, Via Mattia Mattistini, 113 7 Piano, 00167, Roma, Italy furnishing his complete information and date, year or approximate year of birth.

In Italy documents and records are found in the city, town or even village of origin and since Lecce is the capital of Lecce province in the Puglia region of southern Italy. www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi for surname distribution in Italy. Are you sure he was born in that city or was he born in some town or village inthe province of Lecce? If unknown then wait for the response on his POW history which will contain this information. OR

You might also wish to write to the Provincial archives in Lecce but you might wish to take a chance and reflect his place of birth as the city of Lecce www.nonsolocap.it and put in Lecce and then click on Lecce for information. This will give you the CAP# code and the archives address for Lecce adminstrative offices.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html for obtaining records and form letters in Italian =Peter=

The
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The address for the Military records section for the province of Lecce is SEZIONE MILITARE,,ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI LECCE, Via Sozy Carafa 15, 73100, Lecce, Puglia region Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
Logic_Bomb

Post by Logic_Bomb »

Wow Peter thanks, will look into these ASAP!
mldifazzio98

Post by mldifazzio98 »

I am working on my family genealogy for the Cito name. My great grandfather Francesco Cito was born to Giovanni Battista Cito and Rosa Cito in 1887 in Crispiano, Lecce Italy. So far I have found 2 sisters related to him and there must have been some cousins in the area as well. Another Giovanni Cito had a family in the same time era, my guess is that was my great grandfather's uncle. Tell me more about your Giovanni Cito. When was he born? Do you have the birth parents names? My family was in Ohio, USA but their name changed to Chito after immigration, we still don't know why.

Melissa