Looking for Liberato Biagianti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Looking for Liberato Biagianti

Post by donnawright »

I have his original manifest information of 1913 (ellisisland). However, at the library I found a US Passport application in 1924 (ancestry.com) where he went back to Italy. I also have confirmation (ellisisland) that his wife and children arrived Dec 24 1924.

Liberato's passport application was in May 1924 and has a really nice photo of him on there. Question: I can't find his return trip to America.

I used stevemorse.org and put in Lib Bia, Lib Bio, and tried it in the ports of Baltimore, Philly, Boston with no hits.

Any ideas? I know he came back. I knew him personally.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Liberato Biagianti

Post by PeterTimber »

He returned on December 25, 1924 onthe DUILIO with his family at NYC on the SS Duilio. He is listed as #4 and his family are numbered after him. Go to Acristo his son and that will bring up the ships manifest. =Peter=
~Peter~
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0108%2ETIF

Number 4 is actually my grandmother, Liberato's wife. Maiden name Modesti.

Lines 4, 5, 6, and 11 are mine... 11 is my dad. I looked at all 1817 names on the Duilio list and Liberato Biagianti is not there. I looked for any kind of mis-spelling, name inversion. Still looking...... But thanks, Peter.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

There is a page 2 to the manifest and it shows they are going to their husband/father Liberato in Freedom PA 454 Fourth Ave so Liberato is already in the US..he won't be on this manifest.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Yes, I am aware of them going to Freedom PA, and they DO indeed say they are meeting him. However, Liberato Biagianti applied for a passport in April 1924 and it states he is going to Italy to visit family on May 1. I didn't have a flash drive with me when I went to the library and found his passport app, so what I have printed is small, but I think I got it right.

So, I am looking for his return in 1924. I looked at every entry in the ship's manifest when the family came in Dec 1924 and he is not there, so I figure he came back earlier, but somewhere between May 1 and Dec 24. That's the one I cannot find.

I do appreciate your looking at my post, though. He's out there somewhere. I'll have to spend some time looking further into mis-spellings, transcription errors, etc. No one living to ask about this.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ok..just to throw another "what if" in the equation ..

What if he applied for the passport but never actually took the trip? I also have looked and while I think I have found his 1913 ship manifest I haven't been able to locate any others (I did only look briefly though)

As reference, is this the correct 1913 manifest? I want to make sure we are looking for the same person.

First Name: Liberato
Last Name: Biangianti
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Sorano, Italy
Date of Arrival: May 16, 1913
Age at Arrival: 30y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Calabria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0007

Page 1

Page 2
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Yes, it is the right one. I also considered that he did not make the trip. I looked at stevemorse.org in the Canadian people too. At the time of passport application, Liberato was living in Erie -- far north Pennsylvania. I thought perhaps he went into Canada. The only even relatively CLOSE entry is for a Liberato Biasetti; have not viewed that record.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ok..so I think I found the passport application you were talking about..

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
about Libersto Biagionti
Name: Libersto Biagionti
Birth Date: 24 Oct 1883
Birth Place: Italy
RESIDENCE: Erie, Penna
Passport Issue Date: 29 Apr 1924
Father Name: Giuseppi Biagionti
Father's Birth Location: Italy
Father's Residence: Italy
Passport Includes a Photo: Y
Source: Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490)

Page 1

Page 2

Lets see if we can find some clues for you..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Yep... Really made a mess of the names, huh? In the 1913 ellisisland manifest and in the passport app. Liberato Biagianti -- he must be worth it.... at least my grandmother thought so!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

donnawright wrote:Yes, it is the right one. I also considered that he did not make the trip. I looked at stevemorse.org in the Canadian people too. At the time of passport application, Liberato was living in Erie -- far north Pennsylvania. I thought perhaps he went into Canada. The only even relatively CLOSE entry is for a Liberato Biasetti; have not viewed that record.
I saw that record and it states he was born 1851 or 1861 and arriving it Montreal so I doubt that's him. I have looked through manifests using the first name only in the years 1924 forward and so far nothing. Perhaps it is also misspelled but time to get the kiddies ready for school. Will search more later, ok? Hoping others will also pitch in. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Donna and Nuccia :D

It's only a little note but i noticed on the second page of the Passport there is something written, it seems "ED Clerck of U S A Court Erie PA and Notify" and then "ED Notified 4/30/24"...
I don't know the meaning...
Is it possible he didn't picked up the passport?

[img=http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3806 ... jb1.th.jpg]

Laura
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Laura,

I saw that too. It looks like (to me) that they were supposed to mail it to the address which was crossed off and they notified him instead. Thats all I can make of that.

He claims that he is wanting to be away visiting relatives in Italy for one year, and yet less then 8 months later his family arrives. He would have had to have traveled to Italy and return before that which is possible but strange, no?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

The application was signed 4-25-24. It also states that he was leaving on May 1, but the place for the ship's name is blank. Was that acceptable at the time? Looks like the clerk of US District court is E....... Murphy

Where the send to address is scratched out is a c/o name with an address of 1720 Walnut Street. Can you make out that name? It's kind of written over by other information on there.

If he needed that ship's name on the application, I'm thinking he didn't leave.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It seems that way in view of the fact that there is no record for his arrival and the family was destined to him when they arrived on December 25,1924 but then again you never know? =Peter=
~Peter~
AmifromtheBurgh

Post by AmifromtheBurgh »

Hi Donna, I am Ami Biagianti, married to your brother's son, David. I am glad to have found this forum. I have done research on my family's ancestors and Ambridge folks keep lots of records and photos and stuff. I would love to get any info on the Biagianti side of the family for my sons to know about. We are hopefully going to Italy sometime this year and I would love to plan the trip around the family areas. I guess Sorano is a good start? :)