New challenge - Family surname MAGRO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

New challenge - Family surname MAGRO

Post by lilbees »

I recently learned of a new family connection, the surname Magro.

Caterina Magro b. abt. 1830 married to Francesco Catalano b. abt. 1825, Palermo Province.

I have sent for records but find it interesting there is very little information on the Magro surname that I can find.

Tons on Catalano but not on my family in particular.

My great grandmother was Angela Catalano b. 1855 in Lercara Friddi, dauther of the above parents. She was married to Antonio Rescigno in Lercara Friddi.

Searching for any information regarding these families.

Thank you
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: New challenge - Family surname MAGRO

Post by PeterTimber »

The base surname is Magri and Magro is a variant along with magris and Magheri. There are other alterations. The names are spread thruout Italy but the spellings are different in Venetio such as Magris and Magrin while Magheri and Magherini is used in Toscana etc . The surname is based upon the nickname thin, skinny as opposed to being a fat person. =Peter=
~Peter~
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Not thinking beyond the end of my nose at this minute, I thought possibly a start would be Sicily since that is where they had their children.

Until I receive a marriage or birth record for or about them I am not sure at this time where else to search.

I agree about the name and it is seems to be primarily out of the more northerly regions but generally where in particular a particular region I don't know.

Thank you. I guess I will have to wait until I locate one of the records to tell me more.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you wish to know the current distribution of any surname in Italy then go to www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi and put the name in the upper left. =pETER=
~Peter~
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks Peter!

Palermo is the area I need to start with. Then work backward.

lilbees