Died On The Ship?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Died On The Ship?

Post by jjulian14712 »

I'm aware that these boards have many experts on Ellis Island, and I'd like to ask for your help. I was able to find the ship's lists for Ellis Island regarding my great-great grandmother, but I found an inconsistency that I'm hoping you can help me explain.

Salvatora Martino sailed from Naples on the Hesperia on October 26, 1900 with her sons Antonino, Gandolfo, and Felice Panepinto. They were on their way to meet Salvatora's husband and the boys' father, Antonino Panepinto, who had made the journey the previous year with his daughters Vincenza and Calogera, living at that time in Buffalo, NY. When they entered the ship, Salvatota and all three of her sons were listed, then crossed out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this means they were detained for further inquiry. They must have satisfied the inspectors, because they were listed on the manifest for the next ship, the Karamania, on November 8, 1900.

So far, this sounds like a routine situation for being detained, then allowed into the country, except for one problem: Gandolfo was not listed with the others on the second manifest. I'm not able to find the list of persons detained from that voyage, so I'm not able to figure out any details about what happened to him. Could Gandolfo have died on the ship?
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Died On The Ship?

Post by Eleven »

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe if they are crossed out, they never boarded the ship.

The second time, it sounds like Gandolfo wasnt with them. If he died on the ship, he still would have been listed as boarding (I would think).

Did you check to see if he was on some other ship..perhaps after this ship left?
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Thanks for your reply. It was my understanding that the manifest was filled out at the boarding house in Italy before the hopeful immigrants were allowed to enter the ship. The manifest was eventually double-checked at Ellis Island with the passengers, and it was at that time that the crossing-out occurred if the passengers were detained. If they passed the special inquiry, the immigrants were listed on the next ship's manifest. Am I right? If I am correct, why would Gandolfo be eliminated?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Lined out on the ships manifest without any niotations woulsd most likely indicate that they never sailed with the ship in Italy but when they are lined out they may sometimes found to have a variety of markings,codes,annotations squeezed into the margins and smallblank spaces above and behind information written in the passenger list form's columns.

For additonal information go to www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/manifests
and www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/occ =Peter=
~Peter~
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Peter, I never saw that particular page on that site. Thanks.

When I began my family history, 16 years ago, the first place I went to look for info was the NYC public library. I was very new to this and the first thing that I was looking for were my maternal grandparents ship pass records. I didnt even know, that they both came at different times, and were not even married yet (they got married here).

Somehow, when I found my grandmother, I didnt find her ship passenger record first..I managed to find some page, that showed she was detained, along with her sister in law and the sister in laws child.

Being new to all of this, I had no idea what that was..just saw it wasnt what I was looking for, and continued my search until I found the passenger record.

I could kick myself now, for not taking a copy of that record.

For some reason, I got the impression, that the page meant one of them was sick.

Is there any way to find that again, using the ellis island site? I dont know why, I get the feeling, that this was at the end of the ship passenger list.

Anyway, if they listed passengers on pages like this, somewhere at the end of the manifest, wouldnt they list people who died on the ship there, too?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I don't believe that the Ellis Island site has copies of the detainee pages but Ancestry does.

Biff

Edited by wldspirit: split topic.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Biff,

Are you able to find my ancestors on a list of detainees based on the information in this thread's first post?

Thanks,

Jeff
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

I would like to find the list of detainees for the voyage Salvatora Martino took in 1900. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Thanks,

Jeff
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The ship Hesperia arriving October 26, 1900 inwhich Salvatore Martino arrived had 28 passengers listed for physical examination as certified by the Captain of the vessel hesperia and a US Immigration Physician. Thes epassenger s were not listed inthe shets inthe ellisisland.org listings for that vessel arrriving onthat date but they are lined out without notation. It would appear that the 28 can be determined by going thru the passenger lists of arriving passengers and counting out the 28 individually by name since they have a line thru their name and arrival data. This is the best I can do under the circumstances. =Peter=-
~Peter~