residency for the purpose of regaining citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nore

residency for the purpose of regaining citizenship

Post by nore »

Could someone explain to me what is required for residency so that I can regain my Italian citizenship. I know now that the law requiring me to live in Italy for 12 months no longer applies. So what is required? Obviously I still would not be able to work as I need an EU passport. Is it easy to rent somewhere for a few months? Any advice would be helpful.
mler
Master
Master

Re: residency for the purpose of regaining citizenship

Post by mler »

I believe you need to go to the consulate and express your desire to regain citizenship. You complete the required forms and then go to Italy and establish residency. Once you do this, you can go to the comune to get it done. I'm not really an expert on this, however. Check with the folks on www.expatsinitaly.com for more detailed information.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

nore
You don't say where you live now so I am presuming that you are in the USA and are currently an American citizen. If that is the case then here is the link to
>Consulate General of Itay< consular advice on Jur Sanguinas and much other Italian Consular information.

If you are however an EU citizen, but not Italian by birth (as I am), then the rules regarding residency are totally different. But without knowing it's difficult to advise you.

mler is quite correct regarding 'Expats in Italy', they are about the best site for free advice and guidance on all matters of residency and citizenship.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
nore

Post by nore »

Thanks guys, I'm an Australian Italian, and had an Italian passport till my parents became Aussie citizens in the '70's. I knew the legalities, I just wondered about the other stuff - like is it easy to rent a property? Thanks for recommending that site it looks good -hopefully it will answer my nitty gritty questions.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

One trick to renting a flat for residenza- many Italian landlords won't want to give you a legal rental contract (for tax reasons, also to avoid restrictions on tossing out tenants). Without a legalized contract, you can't apply for residenza. So tell the landlord up front you'll need a legalized contract for residenza- I've heard of landlords putting people out on the sidewalk when they find out after the fact.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

nore wrote:Thanks guys, I'm an Australian Italian, and had an Italian passport till my parents became Aussie citizens in the '70's. I knew the legalities, I just wondered about the other stuff - like is it easy to rent a property? Thanks for recommending that site it looks good -hopefully it will answer my nitty gritty questions.
As was mentioned in an expatsinitaly thread (previously pointed out to you), if you have any relatives left in Italy (surely you do...), you may be able to "move in" with one of them for the few weeks necessary to establish residency and submit your application for reacquisition.
GildaUSA

Post by GildaUSA »

I am in the same process of reacquiring my citizenship in Italy. I am a naturalized citizen of the US--born in Italy but moved to the US when I was two. My appointment to request citizenship in NY is next week. Do you know how long I will need to wait to set up residency following that meeting?

I was under the impression that the one year requirement is still in place. I am planning on living with a relative but am wondering where you heard that the 12 month waiting period is no longer in place.

Will I be able to work there while I wait for the residency period to be up (that is if it is still in place)?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

GildaUSA wrote:I am in the same process of reacquiring my citizenship in Italy. I am a naturalized citizen of the US--born in Italy but moved to the US when I was two. My appointment to request citizenship in NY is next week. Do you know how long I will need to wait to set up residency following that meeting?

I was under the impression that the one year requirement is still in place. I am planning on living with a relative but am wondering where you heard that the 12 month waiting period is no longer in place.

Will I be able to work there while I wait for the residency period to be up (that is if it is still in place)?
Gilda - check out this thread.
GildaUSA

Post by GildaUSA »

THank you Johnnyonthespot--you are true to your name!

The thread answered my questions and I can't believe how much time I have wasted due to Italians (in Italy) not knowing this law well. I am happy to be moving forward now though.

You've made my day!
GildaUSA

Post by GildaUSA »

Update on my situation. I requested my declaration to reclaim my citizenship at the NY consulate on March 6th. [btw--always bring of copy of your email confirmation of appointment--they did not have me scheduled and would have turned me away had it not been for my copy.] It took about two hours to complete the declaration. I was told to bring my official copy to the commune (Florence in my case) and begin the process.

The commune in Florence would not accept my official copy but I did start the residency process by obtaining a declaration of presence at the Questura. With this declaration I completed the form for residency. I am fortunate in that my cousin lives there and I will live with her. I am now awaiting the police visit to my residency to confirm that I do in fact live there. As of today, May 13th, they have not come by yet.

I was told that if I had gone to Italy with a residency visa (no working) I could have completed the declaration of intent in Florence but the time to regain my citizenship would have been longer. The declaration of intent completed in NY will supposedly speed things up. From what I understand once the police confirm my residency I will be able to receive a carte di identita allowing me to work. Citizenship should be automatically reinstated a short time thereafter. I have my doubts as the run around in Florence I encountered was mind numbing--I was sent to at least 4 different locations--using the right words and asking the right questions is key to be directed well.

I have also contacted the NY Consultate to make sure they send a copy of declaration to the commune in Florence. On another thread a person in the same situation as I received her citizenship in a matter of a few months following the same process.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

Sounds good!

One thing though- a carta d'identità doesn't allow one to work. Once your citizenship is recognized (hopefully a couple of months) you'll be able to work legally.
GildaUSA

Post by GildaUSA »

I was afraid of that--carta d'identita not being enough to allow me to work. I'll update again once I have more information.