Searching for Sprufera Relative Information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Searching for Sprufera Relative Information

Post by barbarasprufera »

I am looking for any information on these relatives. I do have a little info from a previous post, but I am stuck and I am unsure of which way to go now. I have very little information for the generation prior to these relatives and the discrepancy of the name spelling has further confused this.

Anna (Carmela) Sprufera DOB 6/14/1885 SSN #069-42-6668 - Year of Death May 1970 - New York

Frank (Leonardo) Sprufera DOB 01/01/1896 SSN# 079-28-7737 - I do have a death certificate on this person. Year of Death - Dec 1971 - New York

John (Giovanni) Sprufera DOB 04/27/1886 SSN# 090-05-6128
Year of Death March 1969 - New York
Joseph (Guiseppe) Sprofera - he is a sibling of the above, not sure why his surname was changed?

Thomas Peter Sprufera DOB 04/17/1893 - no SS #

I am looking for any information that will help to guide me further in searching for these relatives parents (Giovanni and Guiseppina Sprufera / Sprofera).
I was forwarded a manifest prior to this but it is so hard to read I could not gather any information from it. Guiseppina's maiden name was La Monte or Le Monte if that helps.
Thank you!
Barbara
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Sprufera Relative Information

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Barbara yours is an interesting story since both spellings are valid as evidenced by the two spellings SPRUFERA and SPROFERA. There are 3 and 8, respectively in the www.elliisland.org website

Further there is no town of origin as listed inthe ellisisland.org website starting with MEGG for any spellings and further there are several "Frazione" suburbs, neighborhoods, hamlets or other small villages absorbed by a much larger expanding town that do start with MEGG but arfe associated wigth different towns for each spelling of the named "frazione" so if you could possi bly advise as to what province in Italy did your family come from.

There is no listing at the present time for any town having either surnames anywhere in Italy!!! believe it or not. I checked the Italian Surname Dictionary and found there is no listing for either spelling indicating that it is not listed as an Italian surname in oriogin which could meanit was either created locally or was imported from abroad and italianized.

If you can get back to me wigth just a rpovince I think we can narrow it down. =Peter=
~Peter~
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Hi Peter,
I have been told by my father his family came from Sicily / Palermo. I was also told (but have not ever confirmed this) they were specifically from Messojuso - 22 miles south of Palermo on the Agrigento Road - in the NW part of Sicily. Again, none of this is confirmed. We are very confused by the name difference and I have no clue as to how to go about finding out what the name originally was.

I do believe the information of Guiseppa Lamonte and Guiseppe Lamonte coming through Castle Garden in NY on 5/8/1890 is part of my family. There were also 8 "sprofera" that came over on the same ship on the same date that I believe are my family. I was told that Guiseppina (?) LaMonte is my great grandmother "Josephine". My great grandfather was Gionvanni Guiseppe Sprufera or Sprofera.

I hope that helps.....I would so appreciate any advice you can give me on how to continue my search.
Thank you!
Barbara
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Just posting this link so other members can see what research has already been done.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 11686.html
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you! I was able to go to Castle Garden and find the passenger ship information on some of the LaMonte's and Sproferas......I am also hoping to find information on Josephine Loscalzo whom I believe may be an important link to my family?

Thank you!!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Misbris is this another cosmic moment? Sorry if I transgressed on somebodies previous labors. =Peter=
~Peter~
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

In reference to....? Finding the information or looking for Loscalzo?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

barbarasprufera wrote:Anna (Carmela) Sprufera DOB 6/14/1885 SSN #069-42-6668 - Year of Death May 1970 - New York

Frank (Leonardo) Sprufera DOB 01/01/1896 SSN# 079-28-7737 - I do have a death certificate on this person. Year of Death - Dec 1971 - New York

John (Giovanni) Sprufera DOB 04/27/1886 SSN# 090-05-6128
Year of Death March 1969 - New York
Joseph (Guiseppe) Sprofera - he is a sibling of the above, not sure why his surname was changed?

Thomas Peter Sprufera DOB 04/17/1893 - no SS #
Hi Barbara,

you can be pretty sure they were from Mezzojuso, this is John military enlistment for the second world war:

From Ancestry.com:

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about John Sprufera
Name: John Sprufera
Birth Date: 27 Apr 1886
RESIDENCE: New York, New York
Birth: Mezzausso, Italy
Race: White
Roll: WW2_2368784

Place of birth is mispelled but sure is Mezzojuso... :wink:

image:
[img=http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4650/s ... wii.th.jpg]

so, as I wrote you in your other message, I believe the best thing for you to do is to check the Mormons microfilms of the civil registration of the Mezzojuso Comune:
Pink67 wrote: don't know if you're familiar with the Family History centers, they keep the microfilms of the civil or churches registrations of many towns...
I noticed they have microfilms from Mezzojuso:

Title Registri dello stato civile, 1820-1901
Authors Mezzojuso (Palermo). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)

Notes Microfilm dei registri originali nell'Archivio di Stato, Palermo, e nel Tribunale di Palermo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Per matrimoni e morti, 1883, vedi: Marineo (Palermo). Ufficio dello stato civile.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alcuni microfilm ad alta riduzione (42x). Si consiglia di adoperare una macchina ad alto ingrandimento.
Births, marriages, deaths, banns; supplements to births, marriages, deaths, and miscellaneous documents from the civil registration office in Mezzojuso, Palermo, Italy. Text in Italian. Some years missing or out of order.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subjects Italy, Palermo, Mezzojuso - Civil registration

I can point you to a very helpful guide that member Trish did time ago:
Trish wrote:Microfilm

A guide to using this resource:

The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center

1. You go to www.familysearch.org/

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

To locate a center near you:
www.familysearch.org/e...et_fhc.asp

You'll be able to check by yourself in these microfilmed documents and find the ones you're interested to, for example the birth acts for the child born in Italy or the marriage act for John and Josephine....
Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Barbara,

Leonard Sprufera was born in NYC:

about Leonard A Sprufera
Name: Leonard A Sprufera
Birth Date: 1 Jan 1895
RESIDENCE: New York, New York
Birth: New York City
Roll: WW2_2368784

image from Ancestry.com:
[img=http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9461/s ... wii.th.jpg]

I hope don't get you in confusion but I found a strange coincidence....
In the military enlistment for the first World War for John (Giovanni) Sprufera there is an important annotation on the right page:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about John Sprufera
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 27 Apr 1887
Roll: 1766252
DraftBoard: 128

Annotation on the right side of the document:
.."my real name is John Sprufera ..??.. under the name of John Farari"

Image:
[img=http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4804/s ... wwi.th.jpg]

in fact, I found also Thomas Peter Sprufera World War II draft registration card under the name of Thomas Peter Farari 8O

about Thomas Peter Farari
Name: Thomas Peter Farari
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1893
RESIDENCE: Queens, New York
Birth: New York City, New York
Roll: WWII_2371396

image:
[img=http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2372/s ... wii.th.jpg]

Thomas married Catherine Yetman on August 9, 1919:

Surname Sprufera
Given name Thomas
Month of Marriage Aug
Day of Marriage 9
Year of Marriage 1919
County Queens
Certificate Number 1447

bride:

Surname Yetman
Given name Catherine
Month of Marriage Aug
Day of Marriage 9
Year of Marriage 1919
County Queens
Certificate Number 1447

Laura
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Laura - WOW!!! I have never heard of the Farari. It is early in the morning here and I can't wait to contact my family to tell them of this. You may have just opened a big piece of information for us!! This is wonderful!!! I am so, so appreciative for what you just found! I will be back in touch!!
Barbara
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Laura,
Yes - those you found are indeed my family. Do you know if that was the practice in that time to use a different name? We had tracked that we thought our family was from Mezzajuso, so we are very happy to see that in print.

(Giovanni) John and Frank (Leonard) are my great uncles and Thomas was my grandfather. I have a family member for years who has said that my grandfather used another name, but he could not remember it. This is great clarification for me and will be for him also!

I will be heading to the FHC as I have located one fairly close to my home. I will use your instructions and I am very optimistic for my search. You have been a godsend to my search!!! Thank you. Will update you when I know more.
Many, many thanks,
Barbara
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Barbara,
I'm really glad to help.... :D
So, Thomas was your grandfather...
I don't know if you already have his census, in the doubt I'm posting for you:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Thomas Sprufera
Name: Thomas Sprufera
Home in 1930: Queens, Queens, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Cathrine

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Sprufera 32 head, born in nY to italian parents
Cathrine Sprufera 37 wife
Catherine Sprufera 9 daughter
Thomas Sprufera 6 son
John Sprufera 5/12 son

Address: 9216 93th street, Queens NY (same as the military enlistment for the second world war!)

image:
[img=http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9533/s ... nsu.th.jpg]

I believe this is 1920 census for Thomas (married) but living with her parents John and Josephine....

1920 United States Federal Census
about John Sprufera
Home in 1920: Manhattan Assembly District 14, New York, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842
Spouse's Name: Josephina
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1880
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Image: 386
John Sprufera 78 head, born in IT, year of imm .1880, Alien, occupation helper in a cigar factory
Josephina Sprufera 65 wife, born in IT, year of immigr. 1880
Thomas Sprufera 26 son, married, born in NY
Leonard Sprufera 24 son, single, born in NY
Annie Sprufera 35 daughter, single, born in IT
Catherine Sprufera 26 daughter [in law] born in NY

address: 232 East 56th Street, Manhattan

[img=http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5285/s ... sus.th.jpg]

I don't know why he used another last name, sometimes italian lastnames were "americanized"... :?

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Here is 1910 census, same addres: 332 East 56th street, Manhattan

1910 United States Federal Census
about John Spenfera
Name: John Spenfera
[John Sprufera]
Age in 1910: 64
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1846
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Josephine
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 19, New York, New York
Marital Status: Married
Year of Immigration: 1890
John Spenfera 64 head, born in IT, year of immigr. 1890
Josephine Spenfera 52 wife, born in IT, year of immigr. 1890
Joseph Spenfera 28 son, born in IT,
Annie Spenfera 25 daughter, born in IT
Thomas Spenfera 17 son, born in NY
Kers Spenfera 16 son, born in NY (I believe the name was Rocco or Ross for Rosario)

page 1:
[img=http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1184/s ... usp.th.jpg]

page 2:
[img=http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4342/s ... spo.th.jpg]

please note that Josephine stated she had 7 children among whom only 5 living....

Laura :D
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you so much for this further information!!! I am so glad to get any information - it is very much appreciated!!! I have come across the name Kers Sprufera before, but nobody in my family can give me any information on him. My father (John Sprufera who is the infant on the 1930 census) is still alive, and he is unaware of this person, but it looks as though my grandfather (Thomas Peter Sprufera) may have had 1 or 2 more siblings that my father was not aware of. My father is nearly 80 so he is one of my last sources of information - other than another great Uncle of mine who goes by the last name of Sprofera. The Sprufera's and Sprofera's are trying to connect all the pieces as we are now only meeting each other after all these years. The information you have provided to me has been a true blessing - I am not sure we would have ever found out this much!

I hope to get to the FHC in the next couple of days / weeks to see what else I can find. I am a mother, part-time worker and student so I am only able to work on this in my spare time. Your help has saved me a great deal of work, and I am so thankful to you for that! I am so glad you were back on line to find me again!!!
You are the best Laura!!
Barbara :)
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Laura - one more question - do you know if I will be able to track birth certificates through the FHC? I specifically am looking for John and Josephine (my great grandparents) who I believe were Giovanni Giuseppe Sprufera / Sprofera and Josephine (Giuseppa LaMonte) - who are the parents on the 1910 / 1920 census.

I also wonder will FHC have burial records, and how much information is typically be on those documents, as well as marriage certificates? I am hopeful that they will have that information now that we know the Mezzojuso link is probably a good starting point - and I will try that direction to see if I can marriage and birth from that area of Italy.
Thank you so much for all your help!!
Barbara