Portamaggiore Italy????????

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Portamaggiore Italy????????

Post by PepinoMattioli »

I was always told from my grandfather and father that the Mattioli side of my family came from Sicily. Even certain things about the town and such ( which are long forgotten memoried from me as a child ) But when I found the immigration papers on the ellis island website it says my great grandfather came from the Italian North, and Portamaggiore, instead of Sicily.

2 things. First of all any time I look for Portamaggiore Italy all I find is a the Hotel Portamaggiore in Rome. I cannot find the town of that name.

Second, with all of my other family, on there immigration papers they put the town of there origin. Is it possible he either lied on the papers, or maybe put Portamaggiore as the town he was staying when he emmigrated.

thanx Joe
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Portamaggiore Italy????????

Post by suanj »

PepinoMattioli wrote:I was always told from my grandfather and father that the Mattioli side of my family came from Sicily. Even certain things about the town and such ( which are long forgotten memoried from me as a child ) But when I found the immigration papers on the ellis island website it says my great grandfather came from the Italian North, and Portamaggiore, instead of Sicily.

2 things. First of all any time I look for Portamaggiore Italy all I find is a the Hotel Portamaggiore in Rome. I cannot find the town of that name.

Second, with all of my other family, on there immigration papers they put the town of there origin. Is it possible he either lied on the papers, or maybe put Portamaggiore as the town he was staying when he emmigrated.

thanx Joe
HI Joe: and name of your ancestor??Please insert URL ship's manifest of ellis island...for directly reading..
More: sure Portamaggiore non are just, perhaps are :
1-PORTOMAGGIORE (Ferrara province-Emilia Romagna region-Italy north)..and this are Mattioli in PORTOMAGGIORE: http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... re&x=0&y=0

2-or PRATOMAGGIORE fraction of Vignola town(Modena province-Emilia Romagna region-Italy north)...
this are Mattioli persons living in Vignola: http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... 3&cc=90060&
I think Portomaggiore just, but please let me read ancestor ship's manifest..
and...to time, the memory not are just....it tricks, why it can associate memories and make logons that they carry road outside, but the writing always remains ..."verba volant, scripta manent.."(latin)=the words fly, the writing remain..
regards, suanj
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

I hope that works. His name was Sante Mattioli. Looking at it now, it looks like it says Portomaggiore. But the "text manifest" says Portamaggiore. What also is weird is that it says on the other few people he came with it says PORT....MAGGIORE. And it says that my Great Grandfather couldnt read or write. So maybe the immigration officer just spelled it out the best he/she could when he pronounced it.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I suspect that both ways mean Portomaggiore in Italy which translated is Port Maggiore in english. Your still on the right track. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

PepinoMattioli wrote:http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

I hope that works. His name was Sante Mattioli. Looking at it now, it looks like it says Portomaggiore. But the "text manifest" says Portamaggiore. What also is weird is that it says on the other few people he came with it says PORT....MAGGIORE. And it says that my Great Grandfather couldnt read or write. So maybe the immigration officer just spelled it out the best he/she could when he pronounced it.
Hi Peppino: if you read hip's manifest are many persons coming from Portomaggiore (Capozzi Dante and Angelo son-line 16/17) but in line Sante Mattioli are wrote Portamaggiore, clearly mistaken handwriting...and also for Giuseppe Lazzari(line 21)
More all person from Portomaggiore wents from Capozzi Alessandro and also your Sante...in others ship's manifest (on Capozzi surname, this town are mistaken in Partomaggiore etc..)
The town (or fraction town) are PORTOMAGGIORE( from latin name Portus major)in Ferrara province . Send an email to anagrafe@comune.portomaggiore.fe.it
and you request info on Sante Mattioli .. sure your ancestor are of Italy north, and probably the sicilian memory are on other family persons, or previous ancestors..in fact the surname Mattioli are diffused in all Italy and in the past very ancient, the first Mattioli are present in Sicily(Enna province)....
regards, suanj
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Hey SuanJ, Ive been away for a month on vacation sorry it took me so long to respond.

So if I email that address, they will respond with some ( if any ) info for me possibly about Sante Mattioli.

Also I wanted to know how got information on Mattioli.
>>>sure your ancestor are of Italy north, and probably the sicilian memory are on other family persons, or previous ancestors..in fact the surname Mattioli are diffused in all Italy and in the past very ancient, the first Mattioli are present in Sicily(Enna province)....
regards, suanj<<<

Because I would like to get info On the Mattioli side of my family. Ive met many Mattioli's here in America, and a few from Italia, but since my fathers - father died at a young age and I have barely any information to work with it is hard.

Grazie, Ciao!

Joe
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

PepinoMattioli wrote:Hey SuanJ, Ive been away for a month on vacation sorry it took me so long to respond.

So if I email that address, they will respond with some ( if any ) info for me possibly about Sante Mattioli.

Also I wanted to know how got information on Mattioli.
>>>sure your ancestor are of Italy north, and probably the sicilian memory are on other family persons, or previous ancestors..in fact the surname Mattioli are diffused in all Italy and in the past very ancient, the first Mattioli are present in Sicily(Enna province)....
regards, suanj<<<

Because I would like to get info On the Mattioli side of my family. Ive met many Mattioli's here in America, and a few from Italia, but since my fathers - father died at a young age and I have barely any information to work with it is hard.

Grazie, Ciao!

Joe
Hi Peppino, welcome !
in ship's manifest is clear that sante coming from Italy north! Sure the just Common is Portomaggiore (ferrara province/Emilia Romagna region)..
you send an email to Portomaggiore common, and you will know !
Many regards, suanj