1920 census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

1920 census

Post by lynnef »

I've been unable to find the 1920 New York State (Syracuse, Onondaga County) census on my great grandparents, Vincenzo and Maria Ali(a) and their children - my great aunts and uncles. I've found the 1910 and 1930 censuses, which shows they lived on 112 West Laurel Street in Syracuse, New York. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1920 census

Post by lynnef »

Can anyone help me out? Thanks. :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Lynn, Sundays can be a slow day, I'm sure our members will do a search yet this morning and provide the info you need......very rarely does a post go unanswered. Our team does a great job staying on top of request!! :)
And if for some reason they can't provide the info you seek, they will ask questions to help them find the answers.....
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
No luck
Tried searches for Vin*/James, Mar*, Carrm*, Ter*/Ther* without last name, with birth year ranges of +/- 5 years, couldn't find anything even close in 1920 in Syracuse.
Also used Biff's census find on your other post and looked for their 1930 neighbors on the 1920 census - found the neighbors, but not on W Laurel.
-- pg 3 bottom of page for 1930 census: http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... rt=30.html --
Checked Steve Morse one-step for the 1920 enumeration district for the 1930 district 34-11, it's not listed so a page by page would be really tough.
Valarie
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Looked yesterday...

In 1910, Stephani Napoli and Pasquale Massa were neighbors. They lived in same place in 1920, but Vincenzo/James isn't there....
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Any other ideas as to how I could find out where they lived at that time? Does this seem a bit odd? :?
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

wldspirit wrote:Lynn, Sundays can be a slow day, I'm sure our members will do a search yet this morning and provide the info you need......very rarely does a post go unanswered. Our team does a great job staying on top of request!! :)
And if for some reason they can't provide the info you seek, they will ask questions to help them find the answers.....
wldspirit
Yes, I agree...everyone has been very helpful. I guess I'm just a bit antsy to find out this info. I need to have just a bit more patience...which is always a challenge for me. It's all good. :)
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

vj wrote:Checked Steve Morse one-step for the 1920 enumeration district for the 1930 district 34-11, it's not listed so a page by page would be really tough.
Valarie
Morning, everyone

Previously, I visually checked all pages on the 1920 census for the ED in which 112 West Laurel was located and did not find the family or anything remotely close.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Biff83 wrote:Morning, everyone

Previously, I visually checked all pages on the 1920 census for the ED in which 112 West Laurel was located and did not find the family or anything remotely close.

Biff
Biff, do you have any other suggestions?
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The FHL has microfilms of the 1920 Syracuse City Directories. Possible that you can track them that way...

They could have traveled out of state and not been enumerated. Looked for passenager arrivals but found nothing. Tried all the childrens names. First names only....nothing....
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

lynnef wrote: Biff, do you have any other suggestions?
I don't know why we can't find the census. I have the same problem with my paternal grandfather's 1910 census. He emigrated in 1906 to Lackawanna county in Pennsylvania and never returned to Italy. I've been checking for a number of years using various combinations and still haven't located him in 1910.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I was going to post earlier about the poor spellings..and to try using different letters, for each letter, one at a time. But, if you searched by enumeration district, you should have found it.

I know, because I have been indexing records, that many times, a neighbor will give the info, if the person is away, or not there. Sometimes, there is a notation stating this.

I guess its possible, they were missed.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm scratching my head trying to figure this one out. I guess the mystery continues... :lol:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Without looking at the previous thread, is it possible they moved from this area for a period of time then moved back? :?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

wldspirit wrote:Without looking at the previous thread, is it possible they moved from this area for a period of time then moved back? :?
wldspirit
I'm not sure, and no one on my maternal side is aware of them moving. Vincenzo, Maria and their family pretty much lived on the North side of Syracuse, of which 112 West Laurel Street was their main residence. What we are all sure of is the family didn't go to Italy to live...Vincenzo and Maria came to America, stayed, and raised their family. :)