Amato - Carlentini, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
anthonyamato

Amato - Carlentini, Sicily

Post by anthonyamato »

I am looking for any information regarding the Amato surname originating from Carlentini, Sicily. More specifically, I am curious to know if the Amato surname was honored with a coat of arms, or if anyone has a picture / design of the Carlentini coat of arms. A majority of the websites I have found are not authentic, so I am taking this route. Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you.
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Amato - Carlentini, Sicily

Post by borderline »

Hi Anthony,
I don't have any specific info for you, but if you find in the course of your research that you find connections with the Amato's in Milazzo, Sicily, let me know. I have been doing a lot of research recently so if there is a connection, I would be happy to help. Most of my relatives came to Brooklyn around 1908-1910.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Italian surname dictionary has no listing for Carletnini andwhile it is an italian surname, it is nevertheless considered either a local surname or a name imported from abroad and italianized. I also checked out both Sicilian nobility and Italian nobility for any relevant heraldry sites for carlentini and there are none sorry to say.

You might wish to consider going to Google.com and put inthe title Carlentini surname genealogy Sicily Italy and see if nayone has previous conducted any research onthe surname or is currently doing research. =Peter=
~Peter~
cantab

Post by cantab »

Here is the Wikipedia for this city (explains derivation of name)
Also try Googling the name for lots of results

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Comune di Carlentini
Coat of arms of Comune di Carlentini
Municipal coat of arms
Country Flag of Italy Italy
Region Sicily
Province Syracuse (SR)
Mayor Sergio Monaco (since 2005-05-17)

Elevation 190 m (623 ft)
Area 157 km² (60.6 sq mi)
Population (as of 2004-12-31)
- Total 22,234
- Density 142/km² (368/sq mi)
Time zone CET, UTC+1
Coordinates [show location on an interactive map] 37°17?N 15°01?E? / ?37.283°N 15.017°E? / 37.283; 15.017

Gentilic Carlentinesi
Dialing code 095
Postal code 96013
Frazioni Pedagaggi
Patron St. Lucy
- Day December 13 and 4th Sunday in August

Carlentini (Sicilian: Carruntini) is a town in the Province of Syracuse, Sicily (Italy).

The city's name has its origins in the neighboring town of Lentini. In 1551, Vice-King Giovanni De Vega founded a new city in honour of Emperor Carlo V, naming it in Latin Carleontini, or Leontini of Carlo. In Italian, it became Carlentini, and in the various Sicilian dialects, Carrintini or Carruntini.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The surname Amato is indeed listed in the Italian Surname Dictionary as a base surname with variants Amati, Amat Amata D'Amato andd derivations of that base name such as Amatucci and Amatulli.. The surnames are mostly found in the neopolitan and Sicily areas but other forms are encountered thruout central and northern Italy. While Amato was once a nickname, it became a surname as Amato carried forward from latin Amatus.

There are heraldry references for D'AMATO and AMAT but not for AMATO. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Google this: NOBILIARIO DI SICILIA

Search under Amato and you will find 2 coats of arms.

It appears the Angotta's and Amato's are connected as my research uncovered a Don Antonio de Amato y Buglio, Duke of Asti, that was inducted into the Spainish Knightly Order of Alcantara, his paternal grandmother was stated to be Dona Constanza de Angota, a native of Sicily.